ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 with Cup Pax - is it normal?

Renaultsport Clio 182
Just got a 182 and am absolutely loving it, the only downside is all the kiddies in Corsas who try and race me when Im going shopping with the wife! I test drove a few cars including the ST170, Civic R, Arstra Turbo and Corolla T Sport and nothing came close to it for driver appeal and outright performance.

Ive got a few questions to ask?

Do I need to keep the plastic engine cover on, it is protecting anything or can I remove it? do the Cup models have the cover on?

The engine sounds a bit throaty, like an induction noise or as if the exhaust is leaking a bit. Should it be smooth like a Civic R or do I need to get it checked out?

Also the clutch bites very high, and seems as if it can slip in 1st gear over 5000rpm. I know worn clutches normally slip in higher gears so its probably the wheels slipping, can anyone relate to this? The car has only covered 6000 miles.

106 GTi
Engine cover is purerly cosmetic.

Mine makes more induction noise than it does exhaust noise, they all sound quite throaty.

As for clutch, my biting point is fairly low.

VRS
Rich said:

Mine makes more induction noise than it does exhaust noise, they all sound quite throaty.

ditto :D

Renault Clio 182
I have had my 182 for a month now and you have asked the exact things that niggled me with the car. I removed the engine cover straight away as the damm thing rattled all the time, make sure you warm up the engine as i could not move the torx nuts when cold its a size 30 torx nut. Mine is raspy and sounds like the exhaust is leaking as well I have had it checked by two different places who both say it is normal.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now!

One more question, can I adjust the clutch and is it easy?

Ibiza Cupra TDI
Rich said:

Same thing with mine.

1.2 clio grande + 172bhp
it will be your wheels spinning not your clutch slipping. mine does it over 4000 rpm. that when the variable cam kicks in and advances the the engine timing. you need to get some soft compound tyres. it always sounds rough in the engine. ive got high lift cams and mine sounds very rough

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
Hawk said:
Just got a 182 and am absolutely loving it, the only downside is all the kiddies in Corsas who try and race me when Im going shopping with the wife!.........

Yeah get that quite a bit with mine. Biggest problem I had was when I first bought mine people seemed intent on trying to crash into me! Within the first two weeks I had three very very close incidents. Luckly they were not to close.

Anyway, great cars, enjoy! :)

Rich said:

ditto 4 me ;) too .

No more clio's for me!
Rich said:

I've got a mk2 172 (51 plate), its all as above, expect the clutch which is a little high. It has covered 60k miles tho :quiet:

Apart from that its as tight as a drum!

happy driving, enjoy ya motor! ;)

FF Arctic Blue 182
artic blue said:
just a qeury what do those corrola t sport kick out,have seen one close by should i give it some or not?

T-Sport is 180bhp I think, and I don't think it comes on-cam till about 6-7k rpm. 0-60 is about 8 or 9 secs I think.

Renaultsport Clio 182
artic blue said:
just a qeury what do those corrola t sport kick out,have seen one close by should i give it some or not?

The Corolla has a gem of an engine, the kick is much bigger than the Clio or Civic R and comes in at 6200 rpm. They have 189 BHP but are quite slow below the 6200 kick, above it they pull like a train all the way to over 8000 rpm. The engine was my favourite as it was smooth and sounded awesome at the redline.

The Corolla is quoted at 8.4 to 60, but the heavier Celica with the same engine is 7.2, from their forum, most owners agree that they are very similar performers and hit 60 in about 7 seconds.

The Clio would eat one round a bend though!

Im pretty sure my 182 clutch bits high! Ive not really got another clio to compare it but compared to my mates fiat my biting point is really high!

Rob.
PS also clutch seems a bit creaky most times sitting in traffic anyone else get this?

RenaultSport clio 18
my clutch is midway, and bites with aggression if you dont get the revs up and right it judders its arse of. is your clios like this peeps. ta.
Unlike astra or focus their clutch is smooth hydraulic but clio is cable, probably y.
yeah mine creaks bit in stop start and is quite heavy too

silver cup packed FF 182
my mates 172's clucth also has a very high biting point,and ive noticed that if he dosnt get the biting point of to a treat myself as a passenger can also feel the car judder.

RenaultSport clio 18
cheers mate, its annoying, can overcome it but when lazy driving ie driving to work cream crackered it happens but once warmed up and awake it better