ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 won't start - what are common wiring issues?

My 182 cut out cruising at 70 on a dual carriageway. One minute cruising fine, next nothing.
I've swapped the following from my race car:
Coil pack, leads and plugs
Fuel rail and injectors
Lambda sensor
TDC sensor and plug
Compression tested and all ok
It still won't start. It turns over on the starter and occasionally thinks about firing.
RS tuner reports no faults.
It did have a very slight mis-fire at idle prior to this.

So I think there must be a problem in the loom as I've ruled everything else out as far as I can see. I was just wondering what are the common loom issues that would lead to this?
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Any dash lights showing when this is the problem. I've had the coil pack lead come off before and that was instant death.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
have you used the old fashioned way of checking for a spark? i.e using a spare plug on the end of a ht lead and earthed? and also have you removed fuel rail and check the injectors are actually squirting? if its doing all of that, then it could be TDC sensor or timings wrong?

have you used the old fashioned way of checking for a spark? i.e using a spare plug on the end of a ht lead and earthed? and also have you removed fuel rail and check the injectors are actually squirting? if its doing all of that, then it could be TDC sensor or timings wrong?
Tried that. It is sparking and all injectors are injecting lol.
I've tried a spare TDC sensor and checked continuity of plug back to ECU.
Tempted to just buy a Meg 250 RS, I was just trying to keep the 182 going for another 6 months.
I'm going to check the flywheel teeth tomorrow as I was having some clutch issues just before it happened - difficult to get in gear all day.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
if its sparking and fuel it pumping, then it should mean all the senors are working (like TDC etc). Are you sure the timing hasn't slipped?