ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182FF suspension options

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Right I've been reading through so many threads regarding this lately that I'm sick of the search function.

I'm after something to lower the car a little (but not much) and help improve the handling. My 182 has the cup suspension kit so I'm limited in choice. I've had Eibach Sportlines fitted but took them off as I felt the ride was crashy due to not being matched with the OE dampers. Before anyone says it, my dampers are fine and ride lovely with the standard springs. So I tried looking for aftermarket dampers but no luck.

I'm now considering a full kit, something like the V-Maxx/ Raceland/ KTR coilover kit. I don't have a huge budget so is it worth buying the cheaper kits? What is the ride like on them and whats the smallest amount I can lower them. I have to drive around building sites so I need a little gound clearance.

What are peoples thoughts on these or other recommedations?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I really like the KTR suspension. Teamed up with the whiteline ARB and uprated dogbone mount the car feels awesome to drive!

If I were doing it all over again however, I think id invest in some KW v2's. Simple reason being my cars becoming more track focused.

KTR jobbies are spot on for road use though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The Boosh! said:
I really like the KTR suspension. Teamed up with the whiteline ARB and uprated dogbone mount the car feels awesome to drive!

If I were doing it all over again however, I think id invest in some KW v2's. Simple reason being my cars becoming more track focused.

KTR jobbies are spot on for road use though.
You can't get v2's for the 182 with cup packs. If you want a ride quality better than sportlines, while going lower, you're in dreamland. I've had several coilover kits, none ride that well. The v2's are the closest, but not as good as standard being honest.

You can't go low and keep the standard ride quality.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd call fred@btm. He's fitted and driven cars with the vmaxx and raceland setups, so could give you an honest idea of the ride quality.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
H&R's are pretty good on the road PROVIDING you don't drop it on the floor.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You can't get v2's for the 182 with cup packs. If you want a ride quality better than sportlines, while going lower, you're in dreamland. I've had several coilover kits, none ride that well. The v2's are the closest, but not as good as standard being honest.

You can't go low and keep the standard ride quality.

You can if you file out the bottom bolt spacing a couple of MM warren ;)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Forgot to mention, it won't be used on track. Also if I could find dampers to match the eibach springs the ride would be a lot better. But I can't.

I don't want much of a drop (30mm max) and willing to sacrifice a little comfort as long as it's not crashy

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The Boosh! said:
Cool, didn't know that. Best kit I've used, on soft they ride marginally better than h&r. For the op I'd probably try eibach prolines with a whiteline arb. Cheap, and the springs will be easy to move on if you don't get on with them.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Cool, didn't know that. Best kit I've used, on soft they ride marginally better than h&r. For the op I'd probably try eibach prolines with a whiteline arb. Cheap, and the springs will be easy to move on if you don't get on with them.
I wouldn't normally go vandalizing a £700+ set of coilovers, but Grays car handles SO well. Just trying to pursuade myself that they are worth the £££ more on top of the current ones I have (which atm I haven't got any problems with):dapprove:

Corsa Van. Meh.
I've got H & R's and compared to my old FK's on the cup they are a league ahead.

Matt

340i
I wouldn't normally go vandalizing a £700+ set of coilovers, but Grays car handles SO well. Just trying to pursuade myself that they are worth the £££ more on top of the current ones I have (which atm I haven't got any problems with):dapprove:

:eek: All down to the driving..... lol

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A random thought but if I wanted to use the non cup koni suspension and dampers, what would I need to change other than the hubs to make my 182 non cup so they would fit, or is it not that easy?

Would there be any negative side to doing this?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
A random thought but if I wanted to use the non cup koni suspension and dampers, what would I need to change other than the hubs to make my 182 non cup so they would fit, or is it not that easy?

Would there be any negative side to doing this?

Just file out the bottom hole a little bit. Will only take you about half hour.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Not too sure mate but it will be obvious when you come to fit em how much you need to remove :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
does anyone rate the Koni damper kits? As I'd rather go this route than having coilovers, as I'll never take it on track so don't nede anythignthat full on

Black Clio GT
might be worth looking at bilstien b12 dampers for yor eibach springs??
not sure if they do them in ff spacing mind........

500 Twinair
Best thing to do is ring Ktec and ask there opionin, they may able to help.
Also ring mark fish, he recommended ebiach springs and Koni dampers.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Not sure you can file the hole out TBH mate, sure theres about 6mm difference between cup and non-cup.

(other) Dave did it with his Leda's on his RB track car mate... Granted you might need a little more than a file, but I don't think its 6mm is it? :eek:

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
I fitted spaxs non cup coil overs to our cup packed 182. The hole spacing is 58 on the cup hubs and 54 on the standard hubs. Plus the hub is 1mm thicker on the cup hub. I modded the spax I brought by slotting the bottom holes out and opening up the gap between the legs.

Da

Less
It's 54mm to 60mm, so is 6mm different overall.

Personally, I'd say new OE shocks and Eibach Sportlines. Top mounts would be good too and an ARB but that depends on what you want from the car.

lift number 1 @ btm
as far as i can remember, Koni are one of the few cheaper dampers to use a seperate valve for compression and rebound, the same as a much more expensive set.

i think most cheap sets have one valve to control both cycles, this gives a less supple ride and wears faster.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It's 54mm to 60mm, so is 6mm different overall.

Personally, I'd say new OE shocks and Eibach Sportlines. Top mounts would be good too and an ARB but that depends on what you want from the car.

already have eibach sportlines and had them fitted with fairly new OE dampers, ride was very crashy as they were so un-matched so took them off. nothing wrong with the dampers either as its fine with OE springs.

My dad was a MK2 Ph1 RSi K4M with a Jamex (I think) suspension kit and his rides much better than mine did whilst still giving a firm drive and very little body roll.

Just looked at Yozza and K-Tec sites and they offer Koni's kits with Koni springs, any opinions on these

Da

Less
Try Prolines then, I agree Sportlines are a bit crashy - Pro for go, Sport for show.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

6mm, then with the cack haned file/drill, how would you know the hole ended up enlarged to the right place? Might be too far left/right then all the measurements will be c**k eyed

If only it was so simple!

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
6mm, then with the cack haned file/drill, how would you know the hole ended up enlarged to the right place? Might be too far left/right then all the measurements will be c**k eyed

If only it was so simple!

Its ok to slot the holes out just do it, right I'd agree a file isn't the way to do it. I just chucked them on a milling machine, they were a bit of a git to hold though lol

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
It really isn't that bad Gaz!

When yo look at how my k-tec coilovers have been machined out, I would be able to do it myself with a drill - And people will vouch for me here - I am a r****d.

The point I am trying to get across is, its doable if you want it enough.
:)