ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

19 mpg!!!!! WTF

Audi RS4

Been averaging 19 mpg the last coupla days just pottering about with the air-con on!! Filled up on Wednesday and have only got quarter of a tank left now!

Audi RS4

LOL! No seriously,been stuck in traffic quite a lot.Just been doing short trips to and fro family and fiende houses! Only give it a proper run (ragging)out today and returned 22.4mpg! This proves its better to screw it than pootle!;)

artic blue 182

thought mine was bad going to and from work was at 22 earlier:eek: mind u is only a 4 mile journey and sh*te loads of traffic...just been for a blast down the M40 to make me feel better:D

dont think this stupid hot weather helps much tho

Could your cold-start valve thingy (whatever its called) be stuck open and using loads more fuel than it should if it had closed properly after warming up?

Filled up on Monday and only driven the car (mk2 172) in heavy traffic to and from work. Averaged 14mph and 23mpg, and the trip computer likes to lie a little bit, so more like 21mpg. Still better than my MG ZS which would only manage 16mpg in the same traffic! Any car can do 0mpg when not moving...the 172 is pretty damned good on fuel for what it is.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by lurking on 14 July 2005

Filled up on Monday and only driven the car (mk2 172) in heavy traffic to and from work. Averaged 14mph and 23mpg, and the trip computer likes to lie a little bit, so more like 21mpg. Still better than my MG ZS which would only manage 16mpg in the same traffic! Any car can do 0mpg when not moving...the 172 is pretty damned good on fuel for what it is.

i agree i get 39mpg out my 172 and 36 from cup and i think thats great considering its engine size, motorway jaunts do help

Scirocco GT 210

Driven 220 miles over the last couple of days, with the air con on virtually all the time (damn this weather, turns the car into an oven). And got 45mpg :)

Which isnt too bad!

2004 Racing Blue 182

I know u lot prob have computers, but how do u calculate your mpg???

i only know that i get around 320-350miles to a tank in my valver!

-->NV

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

i averaged 35 on my way back from mikeys (90 odd miles) now ive been driving short distances to work and around town its dropped to 28.5

ST

Quote: Originally posted by R20 CWH on 15 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by lurking on 14 July 2005

i agree i get 39mpg out my 172 and 36 from cup and i think thats great considering its engine size, motorway jaunts do help
Thats just because you dont drive it hard enought big guy......mind i only get 37mpg local runs in my 1.2 but the last 300 odd miles ive done has been mostly motorway so im now getting 43mpg.

133/225/CLS AMG

Im averaging 31-32mpg this week which is about my normal. Put the AC on the other week though and it just wouldnt go above 28mpg!!!

I tend not to drive it too hard on the way to and from work. Managed to get 40mpg on town driving, but I was driving like a gay!! lol :p

[Edited by AlexJMills on 15 July 2005 at 12:50pm]

Quote: Originally posted by NaplesValver on 15 July 2005
I know u lot prob have computers, but how do u calculate your mpg???i only know that i get around 320-350miles to a tank in my valver!-->NV

when empty, reset your trip computer, fill her up - maybe 47 litres (10.7 gallons), once almost empty check mileage, etc for example 300 - divide that by 10.7 gallons equals 28mpg!!! hey presto!

ps over last 300 miles of motorway have got 48!!!!mpg cruising mainly at about 70 to 75!!

Audi RS4

got her back up to the 28-29 mark today,seems to have levelled out now after a couple of days stuck in heavy traffic.:)

BMW 330d :)

Technically though the cup should get better mpg than the std 172 and 182 because of the reduced weight to shift around!;)

Fraser

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 15 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by NaplesValver on 15 July 2005I know u lot prob have computers, but how do u calculate your mpg???i only know that i get around 320-350miles to a tank in my valver!-->NV

when empty, reset your trip computer, fill her up - maybe 47 litres (10.7 gallons), once almost empty check mileage, etc for example 300 - divide that by 10.7 gallons equals 28mpg!!! hey presto!

ps over last 300 miles of motorway have got 48!!!!mpg cruising mainly at about 70 to 75!!

A simliar but more accurate way to manually measure MPG is to fill the tank until its absolutely full, reset the mileage counter, drive until theres not much left.

Fill it back up to the top and make a note of how many litres went in. Then divide the litres by 4.54 to get gallons.

Eg: 47 litres divided by 4.54 is 10.4 gallons.

Then divide the number of miles youve done by the number of gallons youve put in and then youll know exactly how many miles youve done per gallon!

Eg: 300 miles using 47 litres (or 10.4 gallons) = 300/10.4 = 28.5mpg. Be prepared to be astonished that your trip computer has been telling you porky pies on its MPG figure! (But not by too much though).