ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 injection reprogramming from Renault

White clique
Hi,

i have noticed that many of us have grumbled about the poor cold engine performance and a few flat spots across the rev range on the 197s, well this morning I had the new software patch upgrade done at my local dealer, and first impressions are excellent, very noticable improvement from cold (even though i currently have a tank of 95ron in there).

Obviously free under warranty, so i'd recommend getting it done if yours runs a bit rough.

Hmmh, if you have RSTuner, could you send save the ECU software and send it to Fastchip for analysis?

Clio 197
I've done just over 2000 miles in my 197 now and it is as bad as ever - kangarooing and totally flat until passing the 6000 RPM when it comes to life and then it's time to slow down for the next corner - I had Clio 1.2 courtesy car recently and that was much nicer to drive around town.

Is there a reference number I can quote to my local dealer to get the work done?

Ron Wilson

renaultsport clio 197 cup
ive had the same problems .ive had it to arnold shark and they tried to fob me off saying its a high performance engine.when they said that i nearly pished myself.told me theyd never heard of that problem(funny that)before.total a-holes.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I put money that if you have Climate it will stop working in the next 6 months.....

ive taken my 197 cut to my local renault dealer and they have no info on any cold start faults,therefore they refuse to fix problem.if anyone has info or a contact number for a main dealer which has the software it would make my day as i can get clio fixed.
thanks ged b

Clio 197
this is why when I made my entry above I asked if there were any reference numbers etc I could quote to my dealer.

Any info anyone - especially Alant1000 as you started this discussion? The name of your dealer?

R. Wilson

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
There is no cold start fix. As we all know, sometimes they are fine, sometimes not. I put money on the 197 in question was having a foo day after the re map. Give it a month ;) It was the same with my 172 and 182.......

White clique
this is why when I made my entry above I asked if there were any reference numbers etc I could quote to my dealer.

Any info anyone - especially Alant1000 as you started this discussion? The name of your dealer?

R. Wilson

sorry Ron - yes i had mine done at SMC renault in St Johns, Surrey, they also have a site in Guildford. The number for the garage i had mine done at is 0845 1254674. http://www.smcrenault.co.uk/

@197gaz - there is a cold start fix - i've had it done, and the improvement is noticable!! ;) . It revs slightly higher from cold start, and apparantly the fix is for jumpy engines experienced in the first 6-7 minutes.

Mine has covered just under 8k now, so is starting to loosen up. Since having the reprogram, i have also noticed stronger pull in the horrid flat spots, namely 4th gear between 4-5.5k rpm, plus the awful one in first gear pull-away at low revs seems to be cured.

This fix was released in late June, all i know is that its a cold-start fix for 197. My invoice didnt have any ref numbers i'm afraid.

Its worth having done.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
LOL i tried this on a customers car it didnt even work, renault sport engneering told renault it cant be fixed, then renault brought this reprogram out and it doesnt work.

White clique
works fine on mine - FACT!! :D

Perhaps because its looser, but the car was rejected i beleave because of this fault

yes i have noticed over the last 1k miles or so its also been running better, i've swapped between 95/98 and 99 ron, other than the expected higher rev lack of performance on 95, swapping fuel seemed to make no difference. But the cold start and first few mins are deffo smoother.

I'd be interested in any other feedback you get on this patch from other 197s - are you not recomending it at all then, or are you still uploading it anyway? :)

Clio 197
Alant1000

Thankyou for the details about your dealer. Renault Customer Services tell me that they have no knowledge of an upgrade for the 197 and that dealers will know befoe them. I spoke to a dealer yesterday and it seems that the factory changed the software at about the time my car was on the production line. On Friday I'm taking the car into this dealer and they will check to see which version of the software my car has. If my car does have the latest software, I dread to think how bad it must be with the old setup.

Ron

Clio 197
Just back from the dealer and they tell me that my car does have the latest version of the ECU software installed, so the earlier cars must have been terrible based on what I'm experiencing. It's going back later in the month for more cold start tests first thing in the morning after a night in the workshop. Funny thing this has been done before and there is a noticable improvement but after a couple of days it's as bad as ever - is something being changed and then resetting itself? Could there be a fault in some other part of the engine. Apart from the price there is no difference in performance between 95 and 97 petrol.

Ron

ST
Hmm my local stealer told me 'they couldn't' find a fault with my 07 197 when it was in last week for tests...lies!!

Clio 197
I was told by Renault Customer Services that the way the car runs is a "Feature" or "Characteristic" and therefore they do not consider it to be a fault - it's working to specification. They have used the term "Fit For Purpose" - this may be so if an owner can spend his time thrashing around a track but I feel sure that as most of us have to use our 197's for our daily journeys it's far from fit for purpose.

It may be a plan if everyone who's unhappy to log a call with Renault on
customer.services@renault.co.uk -

If they get lots of hits at the same time they may take notice

Ron

my car is an 08 ,its been in renault in dundee.they have re-written the ecu but its no different really,ive always used v-power fuel too.so its not fuel like they keep telling me.poop.im thinking of taking car back and buying a 172 cup they got as a trade in.197 is very dissapointing so far.gutted

Clio 197
bomber

have you complained to Renault Customer Services and been given a reference number? If we can collate these perhaps something will be done - if we just accept what various dealers tell us then forget it, they'll do nothing. I've had all the hot clios - 1.8 16 Valve, Williams, 172, 182 and now this useless thing. The Williams was the best of the lot, the only problem I found with the 172 was torque steer - it just wanted to turn left. The 182 was fine until the bad guys burgled the house and got the keys. Some people on this forum have said that they had have had cold start problems and flat spots with the 172/182 - I didn't. This is without doubt the last Renault I'll own - but does Renault care.......................

Ron

White clique
my car is an 08 ,its been in renault in dundee.they have re-written the ecu but its no different really,ive always used v-power fuel too.so its not fuel like they keep telling me.poop.im thinking of taking car back and buying a 172 cup they got as a trade in.197 is very dissapointing so far.gutted

mines covered just over 8k miles and is only just statring to open up - the engines are very tight for a while, i wouldnt judge the performance on it quite yet.

There are a dodgy batch of 197s out there, some are good some have all the bad luck.

Clio 197
In an earlier entry on this forum there was a suggestion that turning off the traction control could help sort out these problems with the 197. In this thread there is an opinion that a re-map would cause problems with climate control and that there is a rogue batch of 197's. Could it be that car's with extras are worse that standard cars? I've got climate control , xenons and a radio/CD upgrade - can these affect the running of the engine? I've no idea, but opinion's about traction control and climate control must be based on something.

Ron

Skoda Fabia vRS
just had a word with our RTE, their is a reprogramme that would involve 197's, however its got nothing to do with cold issues, it involves air con compressors

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Actis no? Mine can only be run on manual, and fan speed 3. If left on auto (Climate) when at full beans the ecu thinks the compressor is being overloaded and disengages it. Only way to make it work is for Renault to reset it.........

Skoda Fabia vRS
well i read through all OTS regarding Clio and saw nothing about a cold issue reprogramme

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
is not a OTS is a actis solution, and Gaz there bring out another reprogram so you can use it on full speed i dont know when its being released

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
is not a OTS is a actis solution, and Gaz there bring out another reprogram so you can use it on full speed i dont know when its being released

bout time imo!!!!! I have climate, but cant use it lol

BLK 197 F1
My 197 has done 15k+ and on cold start it really bounces, so embarrasing i even told my gf to expect it whenever its cold. I'll get her a neck brace for christmas. Oh dear here comes the winter

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Doesn't make a difference, does it all year round. Just let it warm up for a min or two before pulling away :)