ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 knocking noise

Clio 197
Hi all,
I've done a search but cant seem to find this exact problem.

My 197 has developed a knocking/clonking noise when I press or lift off the accelerator. It only seems to happen when the engine is cold and it doesnt happen when I rev it when stationary so I would imagine that rules out engine mounts?

Any other ideas appreciated.
It's only just out of warranty :rolleyes:

mmmmmm....... my exhaust used to rattle from start.... only when cold.... but I havent changed anything but it seems to have cleared.... does it sound like exhaust?!

Clio 197
The oil will be whatever Renault put in it, could I trust them enough to put the right stuff in? :S lol

I don't think it sounds like the exhaust. I was thinking of driveshaft or cv joint, but I'd feel something through the steering then I suppose.

Renault Clio 197 R27
Hello and sorry for resurrecting this very old thread but tbh I can't find a good reason to create a new one since someone in the past had exactly the same problem as me (that's why the ''search'' link exists right?)

I've got an 197 R27, had her checked and everything looks allright. Ball joints, engine mounts, exhaust, steering, ARB the lot. It's really weird because the knocking noise is only there when the car is cold (first thing in the morning for example). When it gets warmed up it magically cures itself.

It's is really annoying and you can imagine that it is driving me nuts! Any ideas people? Thanks for your time.

Yiannis

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As per Lemonnobby's post above, it will most likely be down to either the upper rear lateral tie bar or the main gearbox rear mount. They look fine but are made from cheese and only seem to knock from true cold start and even then only for a few minutes. Either live with it or replace it... They're around £65 iirc

Mick

Renault Clio 197
I traced the "knock" in my 197 to the exhaust. It knocked when i started the engine from cold but as soon as it warmed up the exhaust system expanded and the piece that was hitting moved far enough out of the way to not be a problem. I also put in an aftermarket "dogbone" mount and that stiffened the engine up nicely without introducing too much extra NVH.

Renault Clio 197 R27
I traced the "knock" in my 197 to the exhaust. It knocked when i started the engine from cold but as soon as it warmed up the exhaust system expanded and the piece that was hitting moved far enough out of the way to not be a problem. I also put in an aftermarket "dogbone" mount and that stiffened the engine up nicely without introducing too much extra NVH.

Thanks for your response Nick. Which part of the exhaust are you talking about?

As per Lemonnobby's post above, it will most likely be down to either the upper rear lateral tie bar or the main gearbox rear mount. They look fine but are made from cheese and only seem to knock from true cold start and even then only for a few minutes. Either live with it or replace it... They're around £65 iirc

Mick

Very good to know that Mick. When you say upper rear lateral tie do you mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRuyA5hytJg&feature=player_embedded

Thanks guys