ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 oil

Renaultsport 197 FF
can any one tell me how much il you use in your 197?
i have only had my car about 3 weeks and have already had to stick 1l of oil in is it normal to use 1l every 3-4 weeks?

Renaultsport 197 FF
yeh i have covered about 500 miles ish the dealer has told me that you should be sticking in about 1l of oil every 500 ish miles.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
The dealer would tell you that wouldn't they! They don't want to accept that something is wrong. Put it like this, I used a litre in 12 months and 10,000 miles. That's on a fairly high mileage 197 (70k miles).

its either leaking, or burning it. Either way it needs sorting out!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
yeh its burning it. i did tell them that it was and there reply was that it is meant to use 1l every 500 miles ish

They are lying then! Take it back and ask for proof of that. Give Renault a call, see what they say is normal consumption.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
If you got that from a dealer. Take it back and kick up a fuss.

Mine used about 0.5l in 6000 of hard miles. Most if not all of that is down to the typical leaky cam cover. Cheers Renault!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
mine uses about 0.5l every 3k, and it's leaking from the sump gasket as of recently (excuse for ARPs ;) ) 1l per 1k is about the maximum acceptable, and thats on a bad example

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
At 1 litre every 500 miles you will never need to book it in for an oil change.

As IIRC its a 12K mile interval renault quote for oil change, and in that 12K miles you will have put 24 litres of oil in anyway at the rate you are going so the whole lot will have been replaced 5 times over anyway.

How any dealer can stand there with a straight face and tell you its perfectly normal to need to pour 3 gallons of oil a year in your car while doing 12,000 miles a year in a clio really is beyond me!

no its not normal at all.
my 225, when the engine was on its way out was eating a gallon every 4 days.
i was given a rough estimate of using a litre of oil every 3k iirc but that was with a turbo