ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Otr £13199

ICE'dberg MK2 172
true...

they are selling Megane225 cups for £13999 and full fat 225's at £14899

makes the clio a bit of a purse wrench to be honest.

Full UK supplied too!!! and no... I don't work for them LOL!!!!

I'd prefer a Clio to a Megane tho, personally..

£13199 is cheaper than I thought it was going to be, too! :)

Lee

BMW M2C
cliobuyer said:
The Megane isn't a very good car though. Again, typical CS thinking. More power = better.

Bit harsh with the first comment, as the Megane is a great car for the money. I really enjoyed the Megane Trophy around Brands.

Your last comment is spot on though IMO.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i think the price will come down further in a few months, normal renault style. But 13k seemsgood to me imo.

I am quite tempted after seeing the pics Lee put up. All will rest on the test drive! (it will be racing blue again for me!)

but once you add all the options on (as most of the standard 182 features are now options on it?) the price will shoot up.

Octavia VRS
Lee said:
Bit harsh with the first comment, as the Megane is a great car for the money. I really enjoyed the Megane Trophy around Brands.

Your last comment is spot on though IMO.

^ agree on both counts

The Jinx
Why the fvck would you want all the gay extras? Jeez, you guys, get your priorities right. Oh and the Megane's got turbo, which is a turn off for me. Can't beat n/a power. So on that basis £13k is fine imo.

BMW Z4 3.0i
Swervin_Mervin said:
Why the fvck would you want all the gay extras? Jeez, you guys, get your priorities right. Oh and the Megane's got turbo, which is a turn off for me. Can't beat n/a power. So on that basis £13k is fine imo.

True you can't beat n/a. n/a power from something like a 5 litre v12 that is. However you CAN beat the power of a 2.0l n/a engine, it's simply called a 2.0l turbo. :p Gay extras? Priorities? each to their own fella. Why don't you go the whole hog and forsakeany functionality as an everyday car, sell yours and buy a caterham? Gotta remember your priorities you see! :rasp:

The Jinx
You are buying a hot hatch. I think renault have finally seen sense and offered a proper "lighter" option for those that don't want all the junk modern cars come with, especially when it's french and only means more things that will break.

As for turbo power, it still does nothing for me. Too slow on throttle response, they sound turd, and the funs usually over by about 5k.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Swervin_Mervin said:

depends what your used and what the owners wants, options are as descirbed, there for those who want them....

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Well I wouldn't have paid £16,030 for mine which is what the plaque said next to it when it was in the showroom! :)

Most people have missed so many points. The 197 is the same power as a Golf GTI, which most argue is fantastic, now consider the cost of the spec'd up 197 to a similar GTI.

Now we all know power/weight is the best way to accertain initial acceleration, (ignoring the final drive), then we take into acount torque/weight, now too similar to make any difference, oh, and turbo lag.

Now before anyone says "Yes but, chip this, do this or whatever", THE TALK IS ABOUT STANDARD TO STANDARD.

Now MK2 RS'S vs 197. It's just not about straight line, nor necessarily "the twisties". Consider the overall qualities. Question; would you rather crash in a 197, MK2 RS, MK1, valver/Williams.

Secondly, the overall standard livability/flexibility/comfort/passenger space/parts quality.

Good God, even car mags have messed up with the performance, let alone why most people buy cars or desire them, and slate all they may elude to.

Let the fireworks begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blaze

BMW M4; S1000 RR
TBH I'm not a fan of the new shape Renault, had one following me for a while today with some questionably high "low beams" either way, it looked alright, I prefer the front of a Mk2 when it's following me, but it's the rear that sways me away.

Either way, it is getting very good reviews, and has some good Diesel engines.

Onto the sport, if you want a hot hatch and believe you can get a Golf GTI for the same price, then get a Golf GTI !! (Mk5), no question it's better than the Clio (sorry again), but £13,000 for a small hatchback that's near 100hp per litre is very good indeed. And as long as the sport kit looks nice I'll probably be very keen on it, but I doubt I'll buy another Clio when it comes time to change.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
blaze said:
Most people have missed so many points. The 197 is the same power as a Golf GTI, which most argue is fantastic, now consider the cost of the spec'd up 197 to a similar GTI.

Now we all know power/weight is the best way to accertain initial acceleration, (ignoring the final drive), then we take into acount torque/weight, now too similar to make any difference, oh, and turbo lag.

Now before anyone says "Yes but, chip this, do this or whatever", THE TALK IS ABOUT STANDARD TO STANDARD.

Now MK2 RS'S vs 197. It's just not about straight line, nor necessarily "the twisties". Consider the overall qualities. Question; would you rather crash in a 197, MK2 RS, MK1, valver/Williams.

Secondly, the overall standard livability/flexibility/comfort/passenger space/parts quality.

Ummm, a Golf GTI is quicker in a straight line than a RS 197. It has also been acclaimed for having almost zero turbo spooling time. It also has a lot more torque, sure the torque/weight figures are similar I'll give you that, but I would rather own anything german engineered rather than this English/French malarky.

This is a good point regarding safety. The new Clio gets 5 star NCAP, the others.... didn't.

Sorry Cliokhunt, EVO have the FF 182 Cupped at 6.3, the 100 at 17 really close to AUTOCAR results. The Golf GTI does 0-60 and 0-100 in more time than the 182's.

Magazines that have tested the older model now merely quote the manufactorers figures for the 197, "not yet tested"..

What makes you think the straight line speed of the Renault MK2 RS is anywhere near their MK2, brochure, figures?,

Same power less weight = more accerative ability.

WHO ASKED ABOUT GERMANIC BUILD QUALITY, after all people had commented on the price of a 197.

It's not bad considering why people buy cars overall. Lets forget daft bragging rights.

Spec, a GTI to the same stabdard and then see what's expensive. Afterall they are a diffrent class of car.

No one should comment on a car that's not even benn tested. The GTI is a great all rounder, just not as sharpe, and nimble. Can't be by dynamics. Depends on what you crave, allow to be a compromise.

Blaze

Mark 1 Clio V6
The price of £13,199 will be a price on a pre-registered car, so you'll be the second owner.

Wait for the Cup. If it comes available in white like the pics of the racers then it might just be worth a punt on.
Also when it's released any teething problems the 197 will have had will (hopefully) have been sorted.

Dirty E91
blaze said:

Good God, even car mags have messed up with the performance, let alone why most people buy cars or desire them, and slate all they may elude to.

Let the fireworks begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blaze

How sure are we that this engine will actually be putting out what it supposed to? As we've seen from the 172/182's the power output changes from car to car, I've read that VW (maybe all the German manufacturers) tend to under quote the performance figures.

Clio 172 mk2
Blimey...so much fuss over another, probably barely quicker Clio.

F*k it....I'll never own one at 13k anyway as I don't do finance on cars...looks like I'll just stick with the 172 for the time being.