ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 owners

RB 197 fatty
Just a quick one... after reading all these 'iv locked my keys inside my car threads', it struck me can this be done with ours? So say the card fell out pocket inside the car, i get out and lock it, will they then be stuck inside? or will it just let you unlock it again because they are inside???

Not too keen on the idea of trying it myself. suppose i could get the spare but cant be assed to try!

cheers, Normy

Turbo LY R27
It would let you lock it mate. The button on the handle wouldnt do anything if the key was inside. Cant think of a way you could lock your keys in the 197.

The worst ive done is drive home from my girlfriends in the morning and then suddenly remembering that coz i pre warmed the car i left the keys at her house! It was to early to go back coz her rents would still be asleep and would be scared to wake them, the misses had gone to work, plus i was running on fumes as it was. But the thought of if i stall it was scary coz i had no phone money or anything on me lol I would of been fecked! All was good tho.

RB 197 fatty
I almost did that at work, but as i moved and got further from my keys it beeped and said 'key card not detected' constantly on the screen. so saved me there.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeah, if you locked it with the button, when you grab the handle it would unlock again, as its still reading the card.

eeeee these peasants with simpe keys....

Homo spec mazda
My mum locked her megane key card in her boot once in her megane, I had to make the 30 mile journey with her spare. But her battery was on its way out (Car not key)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
I did it once, forgot i left it sitting in the middle compartment. Tried 2lock it but it wouldnt, i did it a few times wondering why isnt it locking! D'oh!

BMW 320d M-Sport
Did something similar the other day. Got to work and then couldn't remember if I had the 'key' or not. Of course I bloomin' did, hidden in my coat pocket!

White clique
i have my keycard in my wallet and the excellent thing is i never leave my wallet at some now as the car wont start without it, nor will i ever leave the wallet in the car as it wont lock with it in there!

RB 197 fatty
cool, thought so....

ok then.....next one,

I havnt let my mate do it yet, be he always insists on doing it... If when moving/driving along you push the start stop button....will it stop???

White clique
cool, thought so....

ok then.....next one,

I havnt let my mate do it yet, be he always insists on doing it... If when moving/driving along you push the start stop button....will it stop???

yes the engine will cut out and your steering lock will cut in and your brake servo will stop working so you'll crash!

I nearly hit the button by mistake when i went to turn on the stereo, i had my finger on it and though "s**t what am i doing!"

RB 197 fatty
bloody hell..... so cable tie his hands up then when he gets in. dont fancy that!

although to b fair, if i tell him im sure he will realise we BOTH could die and hopefully refrain from doing it!

RB 197 fatty
ok, next one. this time its MPG. Now i know its always going to be rubbish and before you say it, no i didnt buy it for good mpg i bought it for fun.

....BUT, i mostly drive 3 miles to work and 3 miles back everyday and thats usually it... never really going over 50 at any point. mostly village/town stop and start in rush hours... so as a result i am averaging about 22 - 24 mpg.

Now i realise this is probably about right and the most iv had was 26.5 when i took it down the m1 to london to pick up a lovely lady from uni there.

So question is, whilst im not really fussed as it doesnt really cost me that much or makes much odds, but is there anything else i could be doing to boost it too and from work? I have recently filled up two tankfulls of v power, but to be honest if any changes have been made, its gone dow a couple of .0's!!!!

PH1 iceburg
Stop start driving will always be raping the MPG's mate, you only get good when you do motorway trips. if i reset the comp as i join M1 to go to reading i can get the 17poo to about 47-50 MPG

RB 197 fatty
yeah i know....oh well. on the plus side...it doesnt seem to get much less if i do boot it....so might aswell then.

Skoda
yes the engine will cut out and your steering lock will cut in and your brake servo will stop working so you'll crash!

I nearly hit the button by mistake when i went to turn on the stereo, i had my finger on it and though "s**t what am i doing!"

Well maybe its just mine but I tested it....... if driving along you press s/s button once nothing happens, press again nothing happens but "engine stop?" comes up on the drivers display, press again and engine stops.... steering lock does not come on until engine is stopped and drivers door is opened..

sad ive wondered what will happen if i did the same

the steering locks a few seconds after the engine turns off

White clique
Well maybe its just mine but I tested it....... if driving along you press s/s button once nothing happens, press again nothing happens but "engine stop?" comes up on the drivers display, press again and engine stops.... steering lock does not come on until engine is stopped and drivers door is opened..

quality i'm all curious now i assumed it would jsut switch off, i'm going to try it out!

RB 197 fatty
tried it on the way home today just decelerating down a hill and it did nothing, pressed it again, nothing! Then put my foot on the clutch so i was coasting, pressed it, and it stopped the engine, no steering lock though. And nothing came up on the display. Then to start it i had to do the usual break or clutch down first. Not recommended for safe driving though!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You fools!!! As if the pressing the stop start button would cut the engine whilst your driving lol!!! better not uspet those passengers eh? ;)

PMSL!!!!

RB 197 fatty
yeah but the key isnt right next to the passenger right knee.....staring at them. And a key isnt quite as tempting to press as a mssive round start stop button. might aswell have a big flashing sighn around it saying 'PUSH ME, IT'LL REALLY f**k NORMY OFF'

ST
You fools!!! As if the pressing the stop start button would cut the engine whilst your driving lol!!! better not uspet those passengers eh? ;)

PMSL!!!!

Indeed....i really don't think hitting the start button when the car is in gear whilst moving at pace is going to stop it...IIRC reno are a little bit smarter than that...

Lol i would do it to annoy you tbh ;)

yeah i know YOU would!

Do i detect need??

BMW 320d M-Sport
In owners opinions, what are the best and worst things about owning a 197? I think the diffuser says it all really - looks amazing, but it sprays road turd all over the car!

RB 197 fatty
Indeed....i really don't think hitting the start button when the car is in gear whilst moving at pace is going to stop it...IIRC reno are a little bit smarter than that...

Do i detect need??

need?????....................want!!!! :rasp:

White clique
In owners opinions, what are the best and worst things about owning a 197? I think the diffuser says it all really - looks amazing, but it sprays road turd all over the car!

I dont think there are any worse things about it, sure my gearbox can crunch a bit and be a b*****d to get into 1st on cold, but as an overall package its done me very proud so far.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its all about the rear view imo (you know, the one most 172 owners see going into the distance ;))

I think the front bumper could have been deeper, the actual bumper imo needed to come as low as the rubber splitter, then have the splitter off that. Rear 3/4 view is awesome :approve:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i like the seats and the noise mainly tbh. but i like it all equally :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ah, the noise. Fantastic as a standard motor!!! Love it. No need for loud aftermarket systems

Rally bus
Best: Looks, handling, exhaust note, power (once engine nicely loosened up)

Worst: 6th gear too low, crap mpg

Rally bus
ah yeah, and compared to the 172 the driving position and that the interior hasn't fallen apart yet.