ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 RR Results

Clio 197
I made different runs on dyno with my 197...
first run - completely stock - was more or less 135 kW (185 bhp). Then, with all mods, i made a new run: i got all the 145 kW... with a complete remap, i read 158 kW.
now, I don't know how can be correct this power, because is the software that calculates the power of the engine....
but the wheel power increased from 105 kW of the first run to the 128 kW of the last run. and the dyno software has a chrono, measuring the 80 - 120 km/h time during the test. the same day, a stock 197 VS mine had this result: 7"5 for the stock and 6"0 for mine...

lz7h3.jpg

here is the corrected dyno test...
and sorry for my english ;)

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I took my 172 to a shootout recently. It showed 134bhp at the wheels. Not too bad for 94,000 miler.:approve:

This is shocking build quality from Renault. If i bought a clio 197 and it didnt have the correct bhp, id expect (and be entitled to) a refund.

I dont know why the owners put up with this renault bullshit. Get together as a group, write a letter and complain.

White clique
This is shocking build quality from Renault. If i bought a clio 197 and it didnt have the correct bhp, id expect (and be entitled to) a refund.

I dont know why the owners put up with this renault bulls**t. Get together as a group, write a letter and complain.

hey?

Why do you troll and hate Renaults so much.

Whats to say we the owners shouldnt be writing to the maunfacturers of the rolling roads for being innaccurate.

What do you regard as the "correct" BHP out of the box, and at what mileage would you expect to see this BHP acheived?

RB 200 Cup!
too low i reckon, unless there was a double dose of bad luck.

185-190 should be the ballpark for a good one.

seemed strange as the 07 plate has 40k miles and 08 one only 16k iirc so quite different in terms but very similar loss in power

White clique
seemed strange as the 07 plate has 40k miles and 08 one only 16k iirc so quite different in terms but very similar loss in power

There was the issue with the cold start patch fix on pre-08 models i think. After i had the patch done (57 plate) there was a major difference in pull low down. Mine had 9k miles and was driven like a granny and got 189.9.

Anyone who hasnt had the cold start patch will have a lower reading i reckon.

hey?

Why do you troll and hate Renaults so much.

Whats to say we the owners shouldnt be writing to the maunfacturers of the rolling roads for being innaccurate.

What do you regard as the "correct" BHP out of the box, and at what mileage would you expect to see this BHP acheived?

How many rolling roads to 172's, 182's and 197's have to go on before people realise that many dont produce the bhp renault state?

If i bought a clio 197 id expect it to produce near 197 bhp at the point of sale. 20 bhp down is unacceptable.

Or maybe you think it is fair that someone might buy a 197, own it for a year and sell it and during this time it has produced 180 bhp? Is that fair?

A few thousdand miles might be expected to run these engines in and get full bhp, but these rolling road results are on cars with more mileage than that.

Any way you look at it its poor manufacturing process. Its unacceptable. And one reason i wouldnt ever buy a brand new renault.

RB 200 Cup!
There was the issue with the cold start patch fix on pre-08 models i think. After i had the patch done (57 plate) there was a major difference in pull low down. Mine had 9k miles and was driven like a granny and got 189.9.

Ill mention that to my mate then - i was thinking when he bought it couple of weeks ago to check for something and this was it - just couldnt remember lol!

WOuld this affect bhp tho?

White clique
How many rolling roads to 172's, 182's and 197's have to go on before people realise that many dont produce the bhp renault state?

If i bought a clio 197 id expect it to produce near 197 bhp at the point of sale. 20 bhp down is unacceptable.

Or maybe you think it is fair that someone might buy a 197, own it for a year and sell it and during this time it has produced 180 bhp? Is that fair?

A few thousdand miles might be expected to run these engines in and get full bhp, but these rolling road results are on cars with more mileage than that.

Any way you look at it its poor manufacturing process. Its unacceptable. And one reason i wouldnt ever buy a brand new renault.

for a start its 197ps not BHP, so you mean 195 BHP.

Have you ever seen any manufacturer that consistently makes the book BHP across the board? I doubt it. It depends on too many factors, petrol, tyre pressure, general engine condition, the rolling road itself, tempreture.

You say these RR are on cars with more than a few thousand miles, how is it i made 189.9 at 9k miles, then 184 on the same RR with 16k miles?

You may as well give up buying any car if you are a BHP chaser, because its highly unlikely you'll ever be happy with the outcome as there are too many variables.

White clique
Ill mention that to my mate then - i was thinking when he bought it couple of weeks ago to check for something and this was it - just couldnt remember lol!

WOuld this affect bhp tho?

its essentially a renault remap, i think they rolled out of the factory with a map that produced a lower emmision (199) to keep it in a tax bracket. Deffo a BHP increase IMO, no idea how much, probs about 5.

Its actis solution number 7301 i think. Worth having done.

for a start its 197ps not BHP, so you mean 195 BHP.

Have you ever seen any manufacturer that consistently makes the book BHP across the board? I doubt it. It depends on too many factors, petrol, tyre pressure, general engine condition, the rolling road itself, tempreture.

You say these RR are on cars with more than a few thousand miles, how is it i made 189.9 at 9k miles, then 184 on the same RR with 16k miles?

You may as well give up buying any car if you are a BHP chaser, because its highly unlikely you'll ever be happy with the outcome as there are too many variables.

Im not sure how old you are, but there are many examples of manufacturers who now and in the past were able to consistently put out cars with BHP at or above book figures.

It would be more productive for people to complain to renault and form some kind of joint complaint than it would to just accept this type of slap dash guess work in buying a car. The more you accept it the more bhp you will lose from future cars.

White clique
thanks ill pass that on!

they charge much for it?

no it was free as it was to solve a cold start issue (jerkiness), so a warranty job.

His may well have the software already installed, the R27s and anything after March 2008 had it as standard.

I just asked nicely and gave the actis number, it needs to be tested from cold so an overnight job.

White clique
Im not sure how old you are, but there are many examples of manufacturers who now and in the past were able to consistently put out cars with BHP at or above book figures.

It would be more productive for people to complain to renault and form some kind of joint complaint than it would to just accept this type of slap dash guess work in buying a car. The more you accept it the more bhp you will lose from future cars.

I'm 30

You are acting as if its a conspiracy theory.

Name the brands that CONSISTENTLY put out above book WHEN NEW.

Also answer the query about inconsistency due to other factors listed in my post above.

Williams 3
There are a lot of people on here looking at their Renaults with rose tinted glasses. If every 197 was tested, and the mean average was found to be 197 then fair do's. But that isn't the case is it? It's the same with the 172 and the 182, and no doubt the 200.

I'm sorry to burst people's bubbles, but you really should be feeling let down by Renault and their marketing department. They're making you all/us to be complete mugs.

There are a lot of people on here looking at their Renaults with rose tinted glasses. If every 197 was tested, and the mean average was found to be 197 then fair do's. But that isn't the case is it? It's the same with the 172 and the 182, and no doubt the 200.

I'm sorry to burst people's bubbles, but you really should be feeling let down by Renault and their marketing department. They're making you all/us to be complete mugs.

I agree with your sentiment. It is very dissapointing that renault treat their customers in this way.

Indeed, where are the above average cars that produce more than the stated BHP? This has been going on for along time and stil nobody does anything about it.

v6
too low i reckon, unless there was a double dose of bad luck.

185-190 should be the ballpark for a good one.

Seems plausible that neither have had this patch considering the ages of them.

On the day a standard R26 ran 229BHP, previously a 1.2 TCE ran 101 (renault quote 100) so these rollers seem to be pretty good (at least fairly accurate anyway).

What's a 197's book torque? As 140 & 142 lb/ft seems pretty shocking to me

Nimbus 197
Mine made 184.3bhp and 157ft-lbs (standard) on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road. That was with about 2k miles on the clock. Will probably run it again nearer the 10k mark.

I agree with both of you guys, when I first went on the dyno, I was so disappointed that I wanted to do the same thing - sue the fckrs.

BUT-as I wrote before, and alant1000 mentioned here:

It depends on too many factors, petrol, tyre pressure, general engine condition, the rolling road itself, tempreture.

Renault can always dispute the rollers precision. They probably measured the engine at the flywheel, where there's little loss of power and in strict laboratory conditions...

I agree with both of you guys, when I first went on the dyno, I was so disappointed that I wanted to do the same thing - sue the fckrs.

BUT-as I wrote before, and alant1000 mentioned here:

Renault can always dispute the rollers precision. They probably measured the engine at the flywheel, where there's little loss of power and in strict laboratory conditions...

Funnily enough a friend of mine knows someone who had the same trouble with a civic type r. Took it into honda and they tested the engine and its was indeed 20 odd bhp down. They had the engine rebuilt for him.

You see its probably a culture thing. Renault are french. They dont care about the crummy english or their concerns. Fact is they dont even care about other french people. All they want is to get home and bone the missus after consuming 2 bottles of cheap red and a baguette. The japanese on the other hand have rare traits we dont see any more such as honour, self discipline, self respect and pride. They would rather their whole family was eaten by a whale than dare to disgrace a customer with an underpowered engine.

Funnily enough a friend of mine knows someone who had the same trouble with a civic type r. Took it into honda and they tested the engine and its was indeed 20 odd bhp down. They had the engine rebuilt for him.

You see its probably a culture thing. Renault are french. They dont care about the crummy english or their concerns. Fact is they dont even care about other french people. All they want is to get home and bone the missus after consuming 2 bottles of cheap red and a baguette. The japanese on the other hand have rare traits we dont see any more such as honour, self discipline, self respect and pride. They would rather their whole family was eaten by a whale than dare to disgrace a customer with an underpowered engine.

The thing is Civic's are built in Swindon......and so would rather go on strike before falling on their swords.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I spend 95% of my time in France, Brad's comments on French life are pretty accurate :lol:

He forgot the taking holiday and going on strike though :eek:

megane 285 sport
my made 199.6bhp on powerstation rolling road, standard with itg panel filter with about 20,000 on the clock.