ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 slow?

Vauxhall VX220 and 172
Guys, have just had my second test drive in a 197 and found the car to be a lot smoother and a hell of a lot quicker, however it was the same car I drove first time! Having spoken to the salesman it would appear renault forgot to tell dealers that the car should ONLY be run on super unleaded and this is why a lot are running poorly! :clown: :clown: :clown:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i doubt that's going to make that much difference, try the 225, I did and found one problem with it, the dials don't do 100, they go straight to 110, I didn't have that problem with the 197 ;)

J

jamesy

anybody know any performance specs on the 197 the standard road going version?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Renault reccomend that you run the 172 and 182 clios on high octane fuel [98 or above]
But i find the only real difference is that the car idles better on the high octane fuels.

The reason it feels faster is probably due to having a few more miles on the clock, and the weathers a bit cooler at the moment.

jamesy said:
anybody know any performance specs on the 197 the standard road going version?

RENAULT SPORT CLIO 197 Tested 26/07/06 - AUTOCAR
0-60 6.9
0-100 18.7
STANDING QUARTER 15.7/91.3 MPH
STANDING KM 28.3/117 MPH
30-70 MPH 7.3
TOP SPEED 131 MPH
POWER TO WEIGHT - 156BHP PER TONNE

172 Cup
Fletch123 said:
I think one of the salesmen at SMC Guildford is called Martin Lang, it's not you is it?

Yup it is. Why would a salesman come on here to tell us he had a test drive??

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Does this forum have nothing better to offer than purely talk and speculation about speed?

Its like everyone has just come off their L plates and the open road beckons so lets see how fast we can go....The EVO experience is much much more....

The 197 can clearly not be described as slow....I can think of another 100 curent production cars that are slow and as far as small hatches/coupes/saloons etc go the 197 is up there probably in the top bracket with regard to performance.

I guess 0.1/0.2 of a second really bothers a lot of people on here and thats primarily the main reason you all buy a car...Its like "God....your cars a nano second quicker than mine? How can that be? Not possible....simply not.....never....nnooooooooooo"

And then we have 10 pages of sulking, arguing, sulking.....more arguing and then someone starts the same topic all over again.

Can we maybe consider not having endless debates about the same subject. If you are in the market for a 197, go drive it and weigh up the pros and cons for yourself and then maybe consider a sticky on the 197 so everyone can poost their thoughts on it there. In a similar fashion, a 172/182/CUP/Trophy/V6 sticky would also be beneficial so in time they would become a base for other users to search through and read all the positive and no doubt negative comments.....

But this "mine is faster than yours" is becoming tiresome and must be using up serious bandwidth for the IT boys/admin....

Just my 2 p...

R8TDL said:
And then we have 10 pages of sulking, arguing, sulking.....more arguing and then someone starts the same topic all over again.

Only if someone who's not interested in the topic, gatecrashes the thread and causes arguments. Dont like it dont read it :sleepy:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LMAO

R8TDL? This "place", by it's very definition means that people come and go all the time, with a dynamic base of users dropping in and dropping out. You yourself are a recent sign-up...

So, with your 3 month 76 post history on here, can we count on yourself as a volunteer to continually monitor new forum users and members, and proceed to PM and e-mail each and every one that signs up before they make their first post, to ensure they don't ask a question that tires you?

Failing that maybe you could accept that this forum has a history, and user base, going much further back than 3 months?

Thank you.

B-road bully
face it, even if the 197 is slower, its still a better car, bigger, more refined and comfortable and thats the direction cars are goin now so get used to it..

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
MarkCup said:
LMAO

R8TDL? This "place", by it's very definition means that people come and go all the time, with a dynamic base of users dropping in and dropping out. You yourself are a recent sign-up...

So, with your 3 month 76 post history on here, can we count on yourself as a volunteer to continually monitor new forum users and members, and proceed to PM and e-mail each and every one that signs up before they make their first post, to ensure they don't ask a question that tires you?

Failing that maybe you could accept that this forum has a history, and user base, going much further back than 3 months?

Thank you.

Your very welcome! Maybe you can lend me the fiver....

for some more beer!

Oh, and I was believe it or not here from the start under a different username.

It just got very boring about a year into the forum then I stopped visiting and then I rejoined 3 months ago under a diferemnt username because I couldn't remember my exisitng one only to find its still extremely boring. But as far as who's a God Father on here I guess I am young paduoin....;)

I spend most of my time on original mid engined supercar forums but still like to chime in here for a daily laugh....:cool: It beats taking anti depression tablets, in fact, they should recomend this forum to those suffering form depression! Would work a treat!

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Ross M said:
i thought ud f**ked off ?

Posts like this really don't do much for any forum....they are neither positive or constructive.....immature and childish spring to mind.

Using expletives is neither big nor clever and it only aids it making the poster look uneducated, defensive and insecure.

And by the way its "I (capitalisation typo) thought you had (is ud an actual word?) fucked off?" I bet your english teacher is proud right now.

This whole internet text speak (stemming from mobile culture) can not even be described as primitive.

My 2 year old can construct sentences better than some on here...

...The Grammar Nazi...;) Fighting ignorance...on the web.

172 Cup
R8TDL said:
Using expletives is neither big nor clever and it only aids it making the poster look uneducated, defensive and insecure.

Surely that should be "aids in" not aids it.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Well, even with 6 beers I can still only manage 1 typo.....heh, nobody is perfect!

At least you read the posts with a fine comb Griff....

R8TDL, I think the whole point is that you arent out in the pub with mates that you choose. This is the internet and you cannot choose what will and will not be discussed. You have to accept that 99% of the stuff will not interest you, and you have to accept that you do have the choice to ignore it.

Preaching to people on the interent about what pleases YOU to discuss merely serves to make you appear as a tool. IMO.

There are a lot of people on these forums who like to step in and have a moan about what's being discussed. You can do this in a pub, with friends, but not on the internet where 99% of people dont know who you are, much less give a toss what you think.

Please dont take this an insult, it's merely a practical observation :)

A red missile
^^ what he said.

and for what its worth the 197 looks awful and is slow as dirt, i laugh in its face and leave it trailing in my wake.

R35 GTR
I wanted to like the 197 but was let down by the feel of the speed. Not sure of actual figures, it just felt slow.

will have another test drive when they are older and more grown up.

Dave3141 said:
I wanted to like the 197 but was let down by the feel of the speed. Not sure of actual figures, it just felt slow.

I know what you mean mate. On my test drive I fell in love with it from the moment I saw it. But the nagging 'slow' feeling never went away.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
R8TDL said:
Posts like this really don't do much for any forum....they are neither positive or constructive.....immature and childish spring to mind.

And by the way its "I (capitalisation typo) thought you had (is ud an actual word?) f**ked off?" I bet your english teacher is proud right now.

This whole internet text speak (stemming from mobile culture) can not even be described as primitive.

My 2 year old can construct sentences better than some on here...

...The Grammar Nazi...;) Fighting ignorance...on the web.
pmsl at you mate ! .... all you do is come on here and moan that its not to your taste and everyone should be obeying you and beefing you up the bum while driving a deisel. every post ive seen of yours has been far from positive or constructive. infact every post starts an argument. its the same old tosh. go back the deisel thread and swivel.

disclaimer - i have nothing against deisels, infact quite like them

M2 Competition
Is R8TDL the new blaze... ? lol!

If you'd bothered to read people reviews of the 197 fella, no-one has argued that its not as fast. Ive not seen a single thread saying that. Over a good b-road, no doubt 197 and 182 would be on a par with each other.

What people have said, is that it doesnt 'feel' as fast, and isnt as involving, which is surely what owning a cliosport, and as you described it, evoness, are all about...

Last edited:
  Clio 172 mk2
D"w!Z said:
face it, even if the 197 is slower, its still a better car, bigger, more refined and comfortable and thats the direction cars are goin now so get used to it..

I'd have to agree there

.Griff. said:
Yup it is. Why would a salesman come on here to tell us he had a test drive??

Hang on, so is Martin.Lang a salesman or what? Thats a bit sneaky if he is. Renault trying to win the propaganda war now?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8TDL

.Griff. said:
Surely that should be "aids in" not aids it.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

LOL! That always seems to happen when one person decides to give an English lesson on here, another comes along a corrects them! (Thats why I never do it, even though it is tempting sometimes. Txt spk does my nut)

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Not again. Can we have a sub-forum for the 197?

Constant bickering when the 197 is mentioned FFS.

Tyson.