ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 testdrive not boy racer and 172 owner)

sw1

Clio 172
Hi All,

The title is not meant to offend any people that enjoy reguarly ragging their car senseless at all opps, this is my view based upon the fact I drive 80 miles a day and do a mix of driving and occassionaly like to put my foot down and have fun.

I'm 29 and have a clio 172 , I've owned a quite a few diferent cars with the most expensive costing 35k, so I have experience with a wide range of cars and build quality.

My days of wasting that sort of cash on cars is long gone so I want something nice and sporty for a good price.

Now onto the Clio 197, I was very very impressed with the interior it's a massive step up on the 172 and is almost on par with Golf levels, the interior doesn't use a cheap plastic but a nice soft touch finish, the silver console really brightens it up.

Noise level were far superior to the 172 and I was surprised at how smooth the car was, I wasn't timing anything but we got too 110 easily and I didn't even realise we were going that fast, in the clio 172 it's starts to get light arund 80 in comparison, this was more like driving my previous MK V Golf Gti then a clio.

Nice close gear ratios also helped and the seats were so much better then the standard 172, it's a shame that they don't offer leather but they still didn't lok cheap.

Overall I think it's great and I'm going to be getting shot of my clio

Last edited:
I would consider the 197 if i wasn´t for that silly gearing. Almost 4k revs at motorwayspeed (110-120 km/h were i live).
Not much tyre or windnoise so the enginenoise becomes very obvious.
Who uses 6th on trackdays or when racing at the lights???

sw1

Clio 172
Yep I'm going to buy one, will have a look at prices to see discounts etc, I won't pay RRP's for it.

I did notice the gearing was a bit strangely done, 4.5K at around 85 miles an hour, luckily most of my work commute involves crawling along at 50 on the M4.

For me it offers the fun plus practiacally which is what I want. It's not an out and out racer as some folks on here have commented. I love the looks of it too, I think they have really evolved the look of it.

It's not bling and in your face like focus ST's and VXR's, it's more subtle like the MK V Gti which I like.

I was going to get another MK V Golf GTi but for decent spec it's 21k with discounts and they are changing the shape of it within the next 2 years so I won't bother.

pbirkett said:
Its a hot hatch, not a motorway cruiser though.

My 172 is hotter but still doesn´t rev as much;) I would prefer 5 close ratios and sixt for motorway cruising. Just my 2 cent:)

I've thought exactly the same about my valver - blatting along at a ton is perfectly fine but 5k revs for extended periods of time does get a bit wearing...

sw1

Clio 172
Yep, thats the only thing that put's me off, the high revs on the motorway but it's so wel priced compared to anything else sub 20K I have seen.

VXR & ST are too boy racer for me, I've had a GTi, to get it too a decent spec it cost around 23K. There arne't many good sub 20K diesels either. I was looking at a BMW 320d M sport saloon but in a decent spec that's 27K which is a huge price leap, to be fair it is a different class of car but you don't get many toys in it for that.

I've seen the 197 for 15.7K with Cornering Xenon lights, folding mirrors, 6 disc changer, red paint, auto light and wipers. A good price I think for a car I'm going to drive around 18k in a year minimum

sw1

Clio 172
ha ha, they are close but I'm not making any purchases until it's been out for a couple of months, I've been the guinea pig for far to many car manufactures previoulsy.

Someone has a black megane 225, it's a lovely looking car but I have never favoured them for some reason. I think I still have fond memories of the clio, when I chopped my Bmer in I was shocked at how good the 172 was.

The only two issues I have with the clio is:

A) Wonder if the engine sound will start to wind me up after a while, it's nice but it's constantly loud due to high revving around 70 onwards. On the drive home I was trying to work out if it was louder in my 172 or not, the 197 was certianly smoother and wasn't as harsh over bumps.

B) If it will drop like a rock in value, don't really want to pay almost 16K for it and it's worth 10K in under a year.

The dealer said he could do me a car in the spec I wanted for just under 17.5K, far too much at list price but with the discount I have seen resaonable

Last edited:
  tiTTy & SV650
wont be worth under 10k in a year, more like 11-13 depending on the discounts which become available