ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nissan 350Z
The fact its continually bested in road tests by the Golf GTI, Astra VXR and Focus ST surely means with the Megane, renault has not produced a class leading car.

I suspect the 197 will become class leading anyway, even if its not better than the 182, simply because in its class, there is no competition. I mean, Ibiza Cupra? Same pace, but bland turbo charged engine, and lack of handling. Fiesta ST? Good handling but lack of pace.... this is a theme that can be repeated over and over for all of its rivals.

However, whether it becomes class leading or not, i wont be selling my 182 for one, not ever.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^^ Agree totally!

I will give the 197 a chance (test drive), etc, but i don't think i will trade in my 182.

I liked the comment about their next car being a step above the 182, not to the side. I couldn't agree more!

Tyson.

Tyson.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
^^ Yes, but don't forget the 197 will have to compete with the new 207 GTI that has around 180bhp from a 1.6 turbo lump and looks mint :). I think there's also the new Corsa GSI with its 140bhp 1.6 engine. With a 175bhp 2.0l version due out in 2007.

BMW Z4 3.0i
2.0 N/A engine >> 1.6 turbo

torque, turbo lag etc

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Trophy 265/500
Still not convinced myself. Although the 6 speed and fade resisting brakes are nice, it's just too heavy and sits too high.

RB 200 Cup!
i still think renault have let themselves down with the rank new clio - i would always choose a 182 over a 197

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh. But I sure as hell won't be buying a new one: £16k on a clio and it doesn't even have climate control as standard? Renault are having a laugh.

I know it's a size bigger and I'll probably be shot down for saying this, but when you can get a "basic" Focus ST for only £1.5k more (or less than £16k if you shop around), I think it's got to be considered a rival. And I know what appeals more to me at the moment, although not having driven either.

Clio IV 0,9 Tce
I really like, but i think i'll settle with my Valver for a long time to come, then i'll just get some hobby car on the side. I've been dreaming of a bank's Lotus Europa, but i'll have to wait for a couple of years, i finish my education in a ½ year, and i'll have to save some money.

106 GTi
the1 said:
^^ Yes, but don't forget the 197 will have to compete with the new 207 GTI that has around 180bhp from a 1.6 turbo lump and looks mint :)

New 207 Gti wont look anything like that concept.

The Jinx
Does everyone really think Renault will sell it at list? Can't see that.

Climate control? Are you gay?

As for it not being as good as the 182, fair dos. But then that's not as good as the 172 Cup and that's not as good as the willy. It's called evolution.

;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Swervin_Mervin said:

As for it not being as good as the 182, fair dos. But then that's not as good as the 172 Cup and that's not as good as the willy. It's called evolution.

;)

Here Here!!

Golf R/Leon FR
im still undecided about the 197, im sure peole will get used to it but i cant se it being as good as the williams or RS-1

Swervin_Mervin said:

;)

I spoke with a dealer a few month's ago, it was a 'genuine' conversation rather than just the usual gobble that you get from them and he said that Renault had specifically mentioned that they did not want the car to be discounted the way the 182/Megane had been. Whether or not this turns out to be true is anybody's guess!

Oh..on a side note..Im pretty sure I saw a black 197 on the M42 a couple of weeks back. It really caught my eye as it had that 'look' plus also the bigger silver badge on the side. Before Im shot down it was coming the other way and it was a very quick glimpse!

I really hope that they do a roof spoiler as an option. The F1 'derived' defuser may mean it isn't really needed, but I don't think the car looks finished without one.