ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MINI JCW
Just wanted to say what a cracking looking car they are. I have always prefered the new shape clio over the old to look at but have recently seen a black and a blue 197 and they both looked awesome.

Now if only it had the 225 enigne in then I would have ordered one!

SMURF!!!
Just wanted to say what a cracking looking car they are. I have always prefered the new shape clio over the old to look at but have recently seen a black and a blue 197 and they both looked awesome.

And the 225 engine would just slot in too with no real hassle ;)

Breaking A 172 Replica
Imagine what would happen to Sales of the R26.

I am also guessing it would need a LSD installed too?

Why dont Renault do this?
Sales would rocket I expect.

Won't do Megan sales very good Megan would need some serious power to keep up which isn't good marketting.

Plus its not in the Renault sport style to go forced induction on there small cars. Its not like they realy need to anyway.

Thing is back in the 80's and 90's Renault sold two different classes of car with the same engine /performance: 1980's Renault 9/11 Turbo, Renault 5 GT Turbo. 1990's Renault 19 16v, Clio 16v, Megane 2.0 16v, Clio Williams.
So why cant they do the same with the Clio and Megane in 00's??

Clio 197

Where abouts would they fit the turbo, I can't see enough spare space for a decent sized one, it would be nice to have though and although it would never happen 4WD would go down quite well as well.

Renaultsport Clio 197
you can't fit your hand in the engine bay if you want to reach something, let alone fitting a turbo...

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I can near enough fit my head where the turbo can go. Or I have a freakishly small head. LOL

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Where abouts would they fit the turbo, I can't see enough spare space for a decent sized one, it would be nice to have though and although it would never happen 4WD would go down quite well as well.

Easy. Get rid of half of the sh1te that designers 'think' people want - like climate control, air-con, in-car MP3s, 9+ speaker systems etc and focus on the car itself. You would soon start to seen large pockets of space appearing within the body shell then.

I'm not specifically targetting the 197 here, but if I was more than half bothered about comforts, I'd be looking at German motors and not a so-called French 'hot hatch'.

I just don't understand why manufacturers promote and push 'driver's' car so much and then load them down with so much crap? I would have got a 172 Cup from new instead of my 182FF, but they had stopped making them by then. :(

D.

clio 197
the engine bay on a 197 looks like it was made for a turbo version, with lots of space at the rear of the engine and lots of room behind the bumper grill for a front mounted intercooler.

Black/Gold 182
The new clio needs a turbo. They would clean up in the hot hatch market if they did. Everyone says they handle great and are very refined but have no torque and the gearing is wrong. They could sort both probs with a turbo (all the main rivals are now turbos anyway*). I like the looks but I wouldn't buy one with the engine it's got now.

*except the new typeR which has had similar criticism

Last edited:
  R26
renault wouldnt turbo the 197 as they would have to do something about the power of the meggy sport
they dont want the meggys little bro to have more power

the engine bay on a 197 looks like it was made for a turbo version, with lots of space at the rear of the engine and lots of room behind the bumper grill for a front mounted intercooler.

NCAP rating IMO more to do with.

The new clio needs a turbo. They would clean up in the hot hatch market if they did. Everyone says they handle great and are very refined but have no torque and the gearing is wrong. They could sort both probs with a turbo (all the main rivals are now turbos anyway*). I like the looks but I wouldn't buy one with the engine it's got now.

They'd need a suited gearbox as well, stock box won't hold much more.

Arctic Clio 182 FF
So what is the best colour to go for on the 197 now then?
And does K-Tec's 'cup' spoiler come painted or do you have to do that yourself??

Arctic Clio 182 FF
Sorry, still trying to get the hang of this site! Shoulda guessed you'd say Albi Blue. Im in Oz, heading home in Nov and just mulling over what to buy and what to do to it. Have you had it lowered at all?

Clio 197
Sorry, still trying to get the hang of this site! Shoulda guessed you'd say Albi Blue. Im in Oz, heading home in Nov and just mulling over what to buy and what to do to it. Have you had it lowered at all?

No it's standard, too many speed humps near my house otherwise I would providing it wouldn't void anything on the warrenty. They still look nice even when they're a bit high IMO.

NS.jpg