ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197????

clio 182
I have a year old focus st 2 with 280 odd bhp,test drove a 08/197 with cup packs in white with the dark wheels.thinking of changing what do you think?[miss my old ph1/172]
cheers
riddzz

MCS R56
Will be more fun but a lot slower. Depends what you want; it'll be a lot closer to your ph1, in terms of feel.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Think it sounds like a great plan, if you can deal with the lack of power and torque?
Will be more chuckable than the st but not as chuckable as a 1*2.
May be try and go for a longer test drive and really see if it makes you smile more. (which i think it will but i may be biased)

Evo
Amazing car is my opinion, when you drive it hard it just all comes together and feels like its working like a well oiled machine :p

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
yeah go for it, only saying that as was a FORD man through and through, but now converted to renault!, o'll btw also jealous...lol of the 197 not the ST...lol

clio 182
the ph1 had cams,cage ect ect.the 197 felt more grown up but if you want to belt it was g8 fun!lol

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
Ben, have i seen your 197 at Festival leisure park....

see a stunning white 197 there one sat night

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Yeah the 197 is more grown up, but the outright grip that it has means that it doesn't fail to put a smile on your face.
And if you are going to mod it, some cams n a cage would be awesome

Edit: 197th post :rasp:

White clique
i'd personally recommend the 197, but as a previous owner i am biased!! They really are a lovely car.

Did you bring your focus to the RR day in Surrey, the 08 plate???

clio 182
prob take the back seats out;)
to be honest in a straight line the 197 would not of seen where the st had gone but throw in a corner or 2 and the 197 would be a match and more fun!

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
prob take the back seats out;)
to be honest in a straight line the 197 would not of seen where the st had gone but throw in a corner or 2 and the 197 would be a match and more fun!
Agree'd think you have nailed it.
Just depends are you American (and only drive in straight lines;)) or do you like to throw it through the corners?
That is what you should make your decision on imo

clio 182
to be honest if i want to go fast in a straight line would just get a m3 or m5.or another zx10r lol
this 1 has most of the options cup pack,brakes,ect and must admit the white with dark wheels looks the nuts also thinking of cost as the st eats tyres cost more on insurance and i dont normally see over 20 mpg lol

White clique
to be honest if i want to go fast in a straight line would just get a m3 or m5.or another zx10r lol
this 1 has most of the options cup pack,brakes,ect and must admit the white with dark wheels looks the nuts also thinking of cost as the st eats tyres cost more on insurance and i dont normally see over 20 mpg lol

The Clio 197 will give you a genuine 29mpg for "normal" driving, from the tuned up cars you've had in the passed i doubt you're massively fussed by refinement, and although the 197 is much more refined than the 172, going 85 mph at 4.5k RPM is pretty noticable!

The steering (which everyone complains is too light) firms up with speed and feels very sure footed indeed.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
If you sit at 50mph for a long time you can easily achieve 40mpg. I have had 50mpg (all be it only over 10 miles) sat a 40mph
I usually achieve 32-35 mpg on a combined cycle. Can't seem to get it much lower tbh, not sure how everyone else does.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i drove home today at 48mph. i got 40mpg. it was a right effort.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
If you sit at 50mph for a long time you can easily achieve 40mpg. I have had 50mpg (all be it only over 10 miles) sat a 40mph
I usually achieve 32-35 mpg on a combined cycle. Can't seem to get it much lower tbh, not sure how everyone else does.

give me 5 minutes, i'll show you sub 20 mpg in your car ;)

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
IF you do track days at all then the 197 will be much better from my experience. I have a mate with an ST with about 280bhp too I think - has filter/de-cat/exhaust/dreamworks remap. It's got lowering springs/decent tyres, but my other mate's 172 cup nailed it round the track as the st just can't get the power down, especially not out of hairpins. Needless to say my VX220 also munched it.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I miss my 197 oh so so much! I'll admit that in a straight line its quick but there are many quicker cars, however throw in a nice B road and there are few cars that'll be as fun and that you can put so much faith in. I took my 197 over snake pass and was smiling from ear to ear all the way, when really pushed hard the back end stepped out a couple of times but it was perfectly predictable. Mine was standard suspension so the cup chassis must be amazing to drive :D

clio 182
well ive got a 197 sitting outside my house,was gutted to see the focus go to be honest and more gutted with the drive home in the 197,but just put some super+ in went 4 a blast and am a lot more happy now;) and got more than 18mpg lol