ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1997 1.2 Facelift wont start!! Help!

1997 Clio 1.2
Hi guys and gals - please help. Just bought 1997 P reg 1.2 Facelift clio as a non-runner. Guy I bought it off told me it just wouldnt start one day. He took it to main dealer who advised ECU. they wanted £600 to supply and fit. He bought "reconditioned " ECU which had paperwork saying it required programming before it would work with his car - he fitted the "new" ECU and took it back to main dealer - they would not touch it as it now has second hand ECU on it.

I bought the car as is. Went to scrappy and bought ECU secondhand off a 1.2 1997 facelift clio - fitted it still no joy. The spark plugs are not wet with fuel and when i crank the car over there is no spark at the plugs. I really though slapping this other ECU on would cure - but now I have no idea - please help - any advice would be greatfully received. Jack.:(

They aint interchangable without as you said before "reprogramming" so swapping the ecu it just wasting your time.

With the old ECU does the immobiliser deactivate thats the most liekly cause if you ask me. Look at the dash when the ignition on is there a red light flashing?

Infact after reading that again, was the "old" "reconditioned ECu actually programmed or not??

1997 Clio 1.2
The recon ECU was not programmed - the red light with that is on the switch near the gear stick goes out yes.

Its going to need programming...

Have the got the original that came with the car since new the one that was supposedly "faulty"

have you tried that one? What are the symptoms.

I meant the light in the middle of the dash between the stop & serv if its flashing then the immobiliser isnt deactivating.

1997 Clio 1.2
When I turn the ignition on the only lights that illuminate are the red light on the lock switch near the gear stick (which then goes out) - then on the dash the standard oil, battery and water temp lights - this is the same with whatever ecu i try - then engine turns over but is not firing and fuel does not appear to be making it to the plugs.

Ah okay sorry maybe I'm being a spastic here I was thinking of the newer ones perhaps the older ones are different.. (dash setup)

What about if you take a plug out and hold it against the body while chugging it does it spark?

1997 Clio 1.2
When an ecu is programmed to a car - what is it actually programmed to? i suspect an alarm ecu or something - so what is stopping me using a donor car for both (if there is one) ecus - obviously they dont know what piece of metal they are bolted to??