ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1st drive of a 182

WAS a Valver - what next?

Just been and bought a Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT 5 door as our family transport today and talked the salesman into lending me their 182 demo car for the afternoon!

I bought a brand new CTR 3 years ago over a 172 and one of the main reasons was the looks. I dont want to start a recent subject off again but it still looks too much like the others in the range (twin pipes excepted), maybe it was just because this one was in black???

Anyway, looks aside, I was impressed with the power delivery. Lots available from low down in the rev range, making it easier to drive faster than the CTR. Very responsive in top from 60mph. I cant believe how noisy they are though! Not that it bothers me at all but once the revs were high it became very noisy, quite a nice noise but still noisy!

Handling was as expected, very precise & sharp with more grip than I could possibly get near explioting on the public roads!

The only major downside, as many of you seem to go on about, was the build quality. When we set off the car had 992 miles on the clock, we did about 50 miles in it which was enough time to notice at least 2 annoying squeaks....... I hope the Megane is better!?

Overall, it didnt do enough for me to consider buying one, although maybe one with both cup packs, in blue with racing stripes and gunmetal alloys might change that opinion!!!!!

Was the price of the Megan much different than a 182?

As for handling I wasnt that impressed the ones Ive driven (stock demo cars) roll to much and have less potential than my dci had and feeback is so differnet (not in a possitive way). Coilovers are essential.

Prices are very similar, just cant convince the misses that a 182 can double as a family car!!!!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by JasperCTR on 23 April 2005
Prices are very similar, just cant convince the misses that a 182 can double as a family car!!!!!!!

How much of the time will the car achually be used as a family car? Id definatly get one personally over a Megan 1.6 is the prices were similar.
You might be able to convince her the car a better resale value car (might be true seeing the values of Megans). Its not that bad as a family car space wise. For the fun and enjoyment of having a 182 just for the effort or having a few inches less space in the back and having to move the seat forward for the back passengers to get out seems a fair swop to me.
Anyway not having doors at the back for kids to fiddle with is a good idea (trust me).

Unfortunately most of the time! We live in a tiny village with no pub or shop and work 15m away, both at the same place (although the misses only does 3 days a week!) so our 20 month old daughter has to go to nursery. Any weekend trips out are in the family car as well, which is currently a boring but suitable Mitsubishi Space Star. Hence the CTR was sold last Aug (couldnt justify having it sat there) and a mint valver was its replacement which sits in the garage most of the time (have averaged about 500 miles a month so far). Also, trying to fit us 3, the pushchair and a months worth of shopping would be a bit too much for the little Clio me thinks!

Hell, Im talking myself out of it as well!!!!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by steamywindows on 24 April 2005

if you have kids you need a 4 door really you would get pissed off with a 2 door
^^^ One very good point that I missed.