ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2 or 4 ohm?

Clio 1.2 16v
Right subs i want to buy come with either 2 or 4 ohm option whats the difference? whats better etc?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
its the voice coils

one will be dual 2 ohms
the other dual 4 ohm

one puts a 2 ohm load on your amp the other puts a 4
dual 2 puts a 4ohm load on
dual 4 a 2 ohm load

it depends on your amp

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
yes if you buy a dual 4 and your amp is not 2 ohm stable it will die
if you buy a dual 2 and your amp is not powerfull enough it will sound poo

whats your amp and whats the sub

Clio 1.2 16v
Well what i was going to do to buy was 2x alpine type r subwoofers, to be honest haven't really looked at amps yet, but now i know what to look for....

So...if i had to choose the 2ohm or the 4 ohm to buy an amp for...what would you choose personally, or doesn't it really matter?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well amps are more powerful at 2ohms as there is less resistance

so an amp thats powerful at 2ohms and get subs at dual 4

but you will need powerful amps to run them

Clio 1.2 16v
Confusing abit isn't it, what make of amp should i be looking for, i know the alpine type r's are under rated so i can defintly push them hard, just need perfect amp...

Do i go for a powerful 2 channel or 2 class d monoblocks?

Clio 1.2 16v
i was just looking at those, i mean perhaps wouldnt be able to get them in one go, but thats definatly a pretty reasonable price.

What you have in your car ?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
at the moment nothing lol

ive just got a new car and have just bought an RE SE10 V4 sub only a little 10" one running it off an alpine amp little more powerful than the one i suggested for you, DVD head unit and seperate 5 1/5 screen, not yet decided on the mids

had loads of different installs me, new one in each car

Clio 1.2 16v
Way to do it, try all sorts...at the minute what i have is ok, just desparately need to change the subs,

I have alpine type r components up the front powered by 1500watt loudest.com amp

I have 2x of the latest black sony subs 12" powered by one of the JBL GTO series.

I know everyone rips sonys, and in honesty its why i want to change they can't even compete with the component speakers honestly! I mean they sound ok , but its not a quality bass, if bass kicks are to close together it merges into one and doesn't sound to great to be honest. I just want something with abit of grunt and quite frankly something people won't look at on here and go ... ahh sonys gay! It was a good start but lol three months later ready to move on now !

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well i did the stupidly loud install

Image019-1.jpg

the (bit of everything install)
sub.jpg

and the SQ install
Image155.gif

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
its not what you want in a day to day car lol

esp when you cant use your boot for anything, my my 1.2 slower than well a 1.2

plus i was only really testing the equipment for vibe, which was good as they then released them lol

Polo + Micra
if you are going to get 2 subs then get the dual 2 ohm versions

then that way you wire each sub so it's 1 ohm and then wire then in series to show the amp 2 ohms

Clio 1.2 16v
Just so in conclusion, correct me if i have read all this wrong,

For the best i could make it, i want a 2ohm amp with the 4 ohm sub???

Seroiusly all this "ohm" getting me confused...

Clio 1.2 16v
Cheers, i think it might have been you who mentioned not to touch it before, i guess its cheap but you get what you pay for...

Will just get monoblocks then i reckon...