ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 Bumper/Diffuser Protection

GW Clio 200
I'm picking my 200 up on Friday and was wondering if anyone would suggest anything different for cleaning and adding abit of protection the bumper and diffuser?

I'm going to give it a good wash, SRP, EGP (x3 probably) and possibly a rinse and some Aquawax on top, but not sure if that's needed having EGP stacked? I'm going to be doing this all over, including speedlines after alloy sealent.

I'm assuming SRP and EGP will be fine for the bumper and diffuser, but does anyone use anything else?

Thanks.

TS_DMZ

24 hours inbetween each coat of EGP if you do. Collinite 476s if you want something durable?

Not required. There were some results published years ago about that. 6 hours was about the optimum IIRC. Safe assumption though Toby, so you're not exactly wrong!

Re the diffuser, what is it actually made out of?

If it's plastic, 303 Aerospace protectant is a good idea. Depends how far you want to go, as with all these detailing questions! What's your budget buddy? Something like GTechniq C4 will be a permanent solution for any plastics.

If it's painted, same as normal paint work chap :)

GW Clio 200
I kinda got lost with the amount of questions I had if I'm honest! :rasp:

I've done some detailing before but only basics, not sure you can even call it detailing lol.

I usually just use SRP and EGP after a wash on my 1.2 and that's about it (doesn't help enthusiasm with it being black! it's dirty again within hours!) but new 200 is white, so hopefully a slightly easier ride with the cleaning, etc.

I've got a big bunch of the AG stuff, a couple Zymol and TW bits laying around. I tend to stick with AG for what I can.

May purchase some clay soon also, see how the first few washes go. Again, if the AG clay is any good I'll probably go with that.

I'm going to stop typing now! :)

Mequiars clay kit is what you want on that front.

White is better than black in the sense it doesnt show micro scratches etc but its dirty again before you drive it lol.

Mequiars clay kit is what you want on that front.

White is better than black in the sense it doesnt show micro scratches etc but its dirty again before you drive it lol.

As this man says really, you can't go wrong with the Megs kit. By the sounds of it you tend to shop in Halfords? The kit is available there and contains all you need. The only thing I can suggest thus far is to build your stores, bit by bit. So get your wash routine down, then thinking about claying, polishing, sealing, then plastics, wheels, tyres etc.

Take it a bit at a time and you'll have a superb finished product in no time. Remember the cleaner the car to start with, the easier it will be to keep clean!

GW Clio 200
I was thinking about Meguairs clay, that or AG.

That's exactly my issue with black, every tiny scratch or swirl is noticable. Will never buy a black car again!

GW Clio 200
As this man says really, you can't go wrong with the Megs kit. By the sounds of it you tend to shop in Halfords? The kit is available there and contains all you need. The only thing I can suggest thus far is to build your stores, bit by bit. So get your wash routine down, then thinking about claying, polishing, sealing, then plastics, wheels, tyres etc.

Take it a bit at a time and you'll have a superb finished product in no time. Remember the cleaner the car to start with, the easier it will be to keep clean!

Personally, I hate Halfords! but they do have some decent deals on normally, I'm always looking elsewhere for products but I just haven't been sure of what to go for.. so I just stick with what I know works! would like to actually get more involved though, different products, etc.

The best finish is in the prep? so to speak :rasp:

Thanks for you help though guys, I'll probably get some pics up once it's all cleaned for some criticism! ;)

No worries.

Personal preference plays a large part in detailing, as does experience. Don't change something that works for you, but it is sometimes nice to try new products.

Not a 320d
Not required. There were some results published years ago about that. 6 hours was about the optimum IIRC. Safe assumption though Toby, so you're not exactly wrong!

Re the diffuser, what is it actually made out of?

Actually i ment 12, but either way......my bad. When i did my dads car 2 years ago with egp i applied 3 layers over 3 days. Then 2 coats of colly with 12 hours between.

Protection lasted over a year lol.

Lol, not surprised. Buddy I did the same when I first got the PC years ago. Spent three days over Xmas in the garage. Came out high from the fumes the EGP gave off! The Clio had never been so clean!

Not a 320d
Yer rents went away for 3 weeks and i ran the battery down listening to music in his car while i was detailing in the garage. Did a full overhaul as it hadnt been looked after. Full machine polish, every defect removed then protected as much as possible. The door shuts were still beading 2 years later :)

GW Clio 200
Actually i ment 12, but either way......my bad. When i did my dads car 2 years ago with egp i applied 3 layers over 3 days. Then 2 coats of colly with 12 hours between.

Protection lasted over a year lol.

Lol, that's impressive! what is the easiest way to tell that you need a top up or it is still protected? <- noob!:clown:

GW Clio 200
Thanks JD, simplest way to put it lol.

Either of you guys had any experience with Dodo Juice?

Thinking of getting some Diamond White wax. I don't think it'll last as long but the finish is supposively nicer better than Colly, if only slightly. Plus I'd assume it'll do the black bits fine too.

Either way, EGP 3 times and will have to wait until next weekend for wax, will a wash and straight to wax do? or another EGP necessary?

Personally only like the Super Natural wax, purely because it lasts. The rest of the line are far too expensive for the looks and durability they provide.

However, most waxes look a hell of a lot better than colli 476. That's my wheel/winter wax if I feel I will not be washing for a long time, but don't care about the looks.

Yeah a wash and a wax is all that's necessary. Obviously make sure you wash thoroughly. No more EGP required :)

Cant comment on Diamond White as not used it, but Light Fantastic, which is the dodo juice soft wax equivalent, is very good, and tbh protection is a lot longer lasting than people on here tend to make out.

Cant comment on Diamond White as not used it, but Light Fantastic, which is the dodo juice soft wax equivalent, is very good, and tbh protection is a lot longer lasting than people on here tend to make out.

They all last around the same time as Natty's Blue, which a; looks better and b; is half the price. They are not known for being hard wearing waxes, and while there are some very good products from Dodo, the waxes are not the strong point :)

meh, light fantastic gives me 3 months of good beeding and when I bought it worked out cheaper than any of the alternatives as it was discounted and came with a free bottle of lime prime.

GW Clio 200
Well, gave it a proper wash, clay, polish and 1 EGP last Friday (surprised how much the clay got off on a new car) and another EGP on Saturday and this is what I got as of rain today.

Not too bad I don't think. I ordered a sample pot of DJ Diamond White and some Red Mist to put on after final coat of EGP this weekend. See how it goes, might still go Colly 476 for winter though.

:approve:

I think I am right in saying that the Dodo Juice wont sit on top of EGP without some kind of special wipe...

It will but not that well. A lot of waxes react differently to other products, so it's very difficult to keep up with which wax works with what other products.

GTD, Lupo
I have had my 200 for well over a year now and it has a number of areas of the paintwork that seem to struggle. The rear diffuser is fine and so far has no paint damage. Main areas that seem to take the damage are the leading edge of the skirts, leading edge of the rear wings and the front end is prone to stone chips as usual.

For the white paint on my car its treated to a coat of FK1000P every 3-4months and inbetween i go over it with some Dodo Light Fantastic. Its a very soft wax as already said and is nice and easy to wipe off. It just brings back the shine plus adds a little protection between using the FK1000P. I was a little silly when i first got the car and didnt protect the paint for about 3 weeks and i collected a large number of tar spots all over the car. Took a mass claying session to get it back to normal.

A quick question to the pros :D Is it fine with me applying the Dodo LF over the FK1000P? its not applied striaght after but normally 2-3 weeks minimum after.

Paul

GW Clio 200
I thought I'd give it a go, despite not having the best of feedback about it. If it's no good then I'll go straight to Colly until I can be bothered to look elsewhere next spring.

I'll update here when it's done to let you know how it went.

I have had my 200 for well over a year now and it has a number of areas of the paintwork that seem to struggle. The rear diffuser is fine and so far has no paint damage. Main areas that seem to take the damage are the leading edge of the skirts, leading edge of the rear wings and the front end is prone to stone chips as usual.

For the white paint on my car its treated to a coat of FK1000P every 3-4months and inbetween i go over it with some Dodo Light Fantastic. Its a very soft wax as already said and is nice and easy to wipe off. It just brings back the shine plus adds a little protection between using the FK1000P. I was a little silly when i first got the car and didnt protect the paint for about 3 weeks and i collected a large number of tar spots all over the car. Took a mass claying session to get it back to normal.

A quick question to the pros :D Is it fine with me applying the Dodo LF over the FK1000P? its not applied striaght after but normally 2-3 weeks minimum after.

Paul

Again, I wouldn't have thought so, Paul. But it is worth asking a Dodo retailer like Matt@I4D. Purely because I haven't had personal experience of that wax/sealent combo. To be honest, the time it takes Dodo to break down, in comparison to the FK, I wouldn't worry. The FK will last a long time, the wax, like you say, just adds that little bit on top.

GW Clio 200
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd dig this up, as it is on the same subject.

It seems 2 weeks after applying a coat of DJ wax over 3x EGP, beading has significantly deteriorated. I'm not sure if I made a mistake by not adding a couple of layers but just the EGP coats before hand seemed to do a better and more consistant job.

Slightly disappointed, give it another 2 weeks and I'm going to re-seal it and try another coat, probably a couple this time.

Colly476 for winter might just be the way forward.

GW Clio 200
Saying that, the car is getting dirty very quickly due to the roads I drive on.

I assume washing will restore the beading, even if slightly? as a layer of dirt on top of the wax probably isn't helping.

As I said before, DodoJuice waxes dont sit well on EGP. Drop Matt from I4Detailing a PM, there is a stage needed between EGP and DodoJuice waxes but I cant remember what it was.