ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2000 Clio grande 1.2 cranking but won’t start

2000 clio grande
Hey everyone, first post here.

Just for some context, I bought this Clio knowing it had an immobiliser issue and a clutch that was going. However came with clutch kit and full tank of petrol. Not bad for £200

I bought the car and the owner showed me a bypass for the immobiliser, (holding button on fob for 5 seconds then turning car on) and I drove it to friends unit to do the clutch.

Come back a week later and it does not want to start at all. Just cranks over and occasionally fires for half a second. Immobiliser dash light was flashing and fuel light was on. So I ripped off the cover to the wiring loom going to the ECU and found a corroded wire repaired it and immobiliser light no longer flashes, and fuel light is off. However still did not start

I checked every fuse, every relay, checked connectors for corrosion. Some have corrosion but not anything bad. No change

Cleaned 2 earths behind near side headlight and ground strap from gearbox to chassis. No change.

Pulled crank sensor and cleaned tip, still magnetic, no change

Pulled spark plugs and cranked with it on metal, very weak spark.

I’m at a loss here, gonna try new spark plugs but any advice would be appreciated!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Is it a ph1? If so I think it’s fairly easy to have the immobiliser removed from the ECU, believe EFI parts can do it, I’m sure there are others also. Might be the easy solution.

2000 clio grande
Is it a ph1? If so I think it’s fairly easy to have the immobiliser removed from the ECU, believe EFI parts can do it, I’m sure there are others also. Might be the easy solution.
It is phase one, all of a sudden the bypass decides to work now… 🤦‍♂️