ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2001 172 - Irish plate

Clio 172 (2001)
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and signed up as looking to get my first 172!! Been looking around and I've seen a silver 2001 172, it has 29k on the clock with two service stamps in the book with only one owner. Looks a real nice one and quite cheap at £4300 but it's come over from Ireland so on a Irish plate but all documents are English.

Just wondering if this would be a problem? Any issues or problems with that? Does it sound dodgy? I'm not aware that the car would be any different if it was a UK car and being on an Irish plate doesn't bother me as I can get a private plate, but just wondering if you guys know of any faults or problems with buying this way? It says it has 12 months MOT and 6 months tax so sounds almost perfect which makes me think there is some thing wrong with it!!!!

I'm really interested in this car, I'm after a ph2 one (as I think it looks better) but I'm also looking 200sx but undecided.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Mark

Clio 172 (2001)
Yeah it's the autotrader one, near Portsmouth?

I'm guessing you would have to tell the insurance company it is on an Irish plate?

was 172 Cup now 197
When you say Irish I presume you mean northern Irish not southern Irish?

My 172 cup is northern Irish and still on an Irish plate (i chose to keep it) I have family over there, bought it from a friend of the family and brought it back to england. Northern Ireland is part of the UK so there is no problem with it at all, you just need to let the DVLA know what you are doing, I think I had to MOT mine straight away over here before they would change the log book. They will change the plate over to our style as a matter or course unless like I did you request to keep it as the Irish one.

The only grey area is that legally you are not meant to drive it in england if it is not registered here! it is fine for the person who owns it in Nothern Ireland to drive it over here but not ok for you to take it from them and drive it over here unless you are taking it directly to an MOT appointment!! strange but I just booked the appointment in advance to be on the safe side

Insurance was fine by the way they will insure you no matter what.

was 172 Cup now 197
Just read your post again and realised it sounds like the car is already over here! :eek: If that is the case it is of no consequence if the car is from Northern Ireland as it is part of the UK. Obviously Southern Ireland is a bit different as it is not part of the uk.

Clio 172 (2001)
Thanks, I believe it is Northern Irish and when I emailed the trader he said all the documents where proper English DVLA ones. He says the car has a years MOT so that must of been done when it came over so if I do buy it the car will be in my name and address which is over here so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for you time, was a little worried about the insurance but I thought there can't be a massive difference between an Irish or English car, not like a jap import anyways.

Octavia vRS tfsi
I'm not sure whether the Phase 1 172 was initially available to buy in Northern Ireland from main dealers.

It wasn't in the ROI. Any 172's over here are imported UK (GB/ NI) cars.

Wouldn't sorry me in the slightest.

was 172 Cup now 197
Insurance is exactley the same as it is a UK car, they dont view it any differently. As I said earlier you can even keep the irish plate and it makes no difference. It will be northern irish if the plate looks like an english one but it starts with three letters and ends with four numbers.

Southern irish you would have to change the plate I would have thought so dont think it will be southern Irish.

Clio 172 (2001)
Yeah from the pictures on autotrader it does start with three letters so that's cool.

Thanks for your help, if I do get it I will probably just leave the plate as it is.

As it's on a 2001 but only done 29k should of the cam belt etc been changed already due to the age, just so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks again

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and signed up as looking to get my first 172!! Been looking around and I've seen a silver 2001 172, it has 29k on the clock with two service stamps in the book with only one owner. Looks a real nice one and quite cheap at £4300 but it's come over from Ireland so on a Irish plate but all documents are English.

Just wondering if this would be a problem? Any issues or problems with that? Does it sound dodgy? I'm not aware that the car would be any different if it was a UK car and being on an Irish plate doesn't bother me as I can get a private plate, but just wondering if you guys know of any faults or problems with buying this way? It says it has 12 months MOT and 6 months tax so sounds almost perfect which makes me think there is some thing wrong with it!!!!

I'm really interested in this car, I'm after a ph2 one (as I think it looks better) but I'm also looking 200sx but undecided.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Mark

the 172 in question is an absolute SHED...most 'cheap' ph2's on autotrader fall into that catagory...

Clio 172 (2001)
Even with that mileage?

I was only going by the pictures, have not seen the car was going to go at the weekend.

Have you seen this car?

CLIO Iceberg 172
well having read this im going to have to say that im its new owner...
and belive me its no shed....i went and test drove it, and completly looked all over it. its got more history than what the guy was telling on autotrader. and it runs absolutly fantastic. its had two female owners from new and the pictures dont do it just.
the interor is perfect.
the irish plates are not a problem. its all reg in this country and it checks out though the HPI checks etc. its that cheap cos the guy needs a quick sale. he tryed to sell it well before xmas but due to the bad pics it didnt sell.
if you know somthing about this car that i dont please tell me now...