ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 172 - lumpy idle, hesitation under load..?

2002 172
As per the title, my car has these conditions.

When idling, the car really moves, like a van. Revs appear constant.

Would this be engine mounts?

Second issue I noticed, when putting my foot down in fourth at about 25mph, the car seemed to hesitate a little, as though misfiring. Only time I have noticed and appears to pull well through all gears otherwise.

Could these issues be related?

Help appreciated!

2002 172
When I say hesitate, it’s more of a judder, as though I am in a high gear at very low speeds. Not sure how else to explain that?!

BG Clio 182
As per the title, my car has these conditions.

When idling, the car really moves, like a van. Revs appear constant.

Would this be engine mounts?

Second issue I noticed, when putting my foot down in fourth at about 25mph, the car seemed to hesitate a little, as though misfiring. Only time I have noticed and appears to pull well through all gears otherwise.

Could these issues be related?

Help appreciated!
Is this car new to you or have you had it a long time?

I think it's one of two things. If you have just bought it then I would guess the car has a race dogbone mount fitted. If it hasn't then it maybe has solid engine/ upper gearbox mounts. This explains the vibrations.

If it hasn't then I would say the dogbone mount underneath is knackered and you need some purple powerflex bushes to replace the worn OE ones. Should sort the issues out.

Hesitation is a different one. Is the car decatted? Was the engine warm or cold and has the car been remapped to suit a decat if it has one?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hi mate,
On the second issue. I got the same thing on my car and change a lot of parts and still no result. Like TDC sensor, Coil pack, leads, spark plugs and a good clean all over the sensors and still no result. If you find sthing please tell me.

Radu

2002 172
Is this car new to you or have you had it a long time?

I think it's one of two things. If you have just bought it then I would guess the car has a race dogbone mount fitted. If it hasn't then it maybe has solid engine/ upper gearbox mounts. This explains the vibrations.

If it hasn't then I would say the dogbone mount underneath is knackered and you need some purple powerflex bushes to replace the worn OE ones. Should sort the issues out.

Hesitation is a different one. Is the car decatted? Was the engine warm or cold and has the car been remapped to suit a decat if it has one?

The car is new to me, have had it only 10 days or so.
Is the dogbone mount a common failure? Is it easy to replace? Should it have been picked up on an MOT?

The car is not decatted, the only mod (as far as I can see) is lowering springs. When searching for the suspected headlight noise last night, I did notice the airbox had a jubilee clip missing on the outfeed side. Would this effect driving and idle?!

Also noticed a pipe that had been disconnected and bunged with a bolt from this area, pic for reference. Would this be to do with the acoustic valve?

Attachments

• 0C903825-9931-4A86-B4F1-4A99B5289C40.jpeg
    0C903825-9931-4A86-B4F1-4A99B5289C40.jpeg
    524.5 KB · Views: 45
  BG Clio 182
The car seems to have had the acoustic valve blocked. Probably had a foam filter silcone type air induction on it at one bit.

Yeah the dogbone is a mega common failure. Jack it up and have a look. Definitely get some purple bushes in there. That is the first port of call. I suspect the car has an aggressive one and this is your cause of vibrations myself. That or it's loose.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Dying coil packs tend to miss under heavy load, so that should help.

They have a rough idle, in the main.

The acoustic valve is probably stuck/held wide open, which isn't a concern.

Chop the standard engine mounts out for decent Vibratechnics ones, the OEM ones are utter pap; even when brand new.

2002 172
Thanks for the replies.

Ok so engine mounts and dogbone mounts are suspects then. Are these fairly quick and easy to replace? Will I need abnormal tools or is it best to get booked in to have them replaced?

Need to have that service and check done sooner rather than later then!

BG Clio 182
Thanks for the replies.

Ok so engine mounts and dogbone mounts are suspects then. Are these fairly quick and easy to replace? Will I need abnormal tools or is it best to get booked in to have them replaced?

Need to have that service and check done sooner rather than later then!
Check top left engine mount by moving engine and seeing if there's any excessive play.

Dogbone is easy to remove I think it's a 17mm and a 19mm just need ratchets. It's a bit of a nob to get the powerflex in as there's a metal collar that needs removing on the dogbone. Do it yourself it's pretty easy mate

2002 172
Check top left engine mount by moving engine and seeing if there's any excessive play.

Dogbone is easy to remove I think it's a 17mm and a 19mm just need ratchets. It's a bit of a nob to get the powerflex in as there's a metal collar that needs removing on the dogbone. Do it yourself it's pretty easy mate

Cheers mate, looks like I’ll be buying myself a Haynes manual! I have plenty of standard tools, just wondered if Renault had done the usual and invented a special tool to remove any part...

172 Cup
Cheers mate, looks like I’ll be buying myself a Haynes manual! I have plenty of standard tools, just wondered if Renault had done the usual and invented a special tool to remove any part...

Unfortunately there aren't any Haynes manuals for 1*2 Clios, but there are a suite of helpful user guides on this forum - including one for upgrading the dogbone mount with Powerflex bushes. These can be accessed by signing up for full membership, which I can assure you is worth every penny.