ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 clio 1.1 16v Starter Motor not engaging?

Renault clio 02 16v
Hi, i have recently put a new starter motor in as the old one seemed to slowly die and eventually stop working, the car has been sat for a while and not been driven on the road, old starter motor sounded as if it was stuck when trying to turn the engine over, after giving it a bit of a tap it started up but then the next time i tried this it didn't work, now after installing the new one all i can hear when trying to turn it over is a loud fast spinning noise, like its not catching on? its all bolted in properly iv tried starting in gear, moving the car, and even took it out and put it back in, none of which had any effect, also if i keep trying to start the car like this, will it cause damage to the engine? thanks, Connor.

Also put a brand new battery in recently, all lights etc working fine, all the previous starter motor gave me in the end was a click.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Did you test if the bendix was working before you put the new one in?

Starter switch may have gone, I know this is common on some VW's but never heard of it on a clio.

To check if the switch has gone you could put a piece of wire between the spade terminal on the starter and the + on the battery with a switch in the middle. Ignition on, turn switch on, motor should engage. If it doesn't it sounds like you've got a dud.