ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2003 Renault Clio 1.2l 16v, a few problems

'03 Renault Clio 1.2
I bought this car around 1 year and 3 months ago, it hasn't been driven since as I am only 15. I believe the yellow goopy stuff under the oil filler cap is condensation, or is it a blown head gasket? A lot of water does come out of the exhaust when the car is running. As for the coolant, there is a slight leak in the radiator (shown on one of the photos) which could explain the loss of coolant. I believe losing coolant is also a sign of a blown head gasket but I doubt it is in this case as the radiator has a leak. As for the engine, it is a 1.2l 16v petrol, heated up to temp most days, not been driven on a road in a year or so. The oil was changed a few months ago, so I believe it looks like that because its newer oil, it doesn't smell like coolant and there doesn't appear to be any coolant mixed in so I assume its fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 16

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
If it's only driven on short journeys (or never driven and only idled to warm up I suppose) that could explain the milky oil cap from condensation build up. Personally I'd want to have someone drive it on a decent journey and see if there's any white smoke once it's hot or if it starts to overheat.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Totally normal on that engine its just condensation in the plastic rocker cover.

Looks like that radiator has been leaking for a while and its been getting topped up with water, id want to change the radiator, waterpump, flush the system and fresh coolant (may as well stick a coolant bottle on it at the same time since they are cheap!)