ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2007 Clio 1.6 Auto Initiale - Not starting and beyond me why not

Saab
So a week ago the Clio wouldn’t start (not sure of clicks or cranks originally as not present) and even a booster or jump couldn’t get it going - It’s an Automatic.
Towed back home
Started with the easiest - Fuses and relays checked and all, plugs and coils also all good.
New Battery (although booster / jumpe didn’t start it), it’s a cheap replacement so no harm.
Full lights on dash, electrics working but no crank or clicking
Bit annoyed but it’s an old car so figure starter or crank sensor

Crank sensor changed - No change at all, Full lights on dash, electrics working but no crank or clicking
Really annoyed at starter is a pain to get out but it is what it is

Starter motor changed - No change at all, Full lights on dash, electrics working but no crank or clicking

So as it stands car still not starting and considering scrapping which is a shame as it’s an Initiale Auto with only 50k, leather etcetera and good condition for age.

Anyone got any idea on what’s the issue stopping the car from starting and how I can confirming without throwing more money thats not fixed it yet?

Thanks in advance - btw she’ll be got rid off if not fixed before mid September.

Saab
Yep - Immobiliser light goes off as expected, so ruled that out as a cause.
Also checked for bad earth via jump lead on negative and connected to body but no change.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Yep - Immobiliser light goes off as expected, so ruled that out as a cause.
Also checked for bad earth via jump lead on negative and connected to body but no change.
I'm not an expert, but no click at all make me think UCH, or a relay. If you have a search I'm sure there will be a diagram somewhere showing what triggers the starter.

Saab
So now it gets really strange - Thought it was the wiring to the starter so tried a direct connection from positive to starter - it engages, remove direct connection it still engages.

So now it still doesn’t start but starter attempts to engage without a direct connection (so using existing wiring).
Will see if it can be tightened and if that changes anything tomorrow.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
All the brake lights ok? I’m not sure how the park selection sensors work on these.
@lemonnobby will know I’m sure. 😂

Basically, if it doesn’t know it’s in Park it won’t start.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Get some decent diagnostics on it i.e. can clip to see if its anything related to auto box inhibiting start