ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2009 Megane RS

172 ph2
Some new pics

s1033601.jpg

s10336021.jpg

s1033603.jpg

Dont get me wrong, i love the R26 and im not a fan of the ST at all, but i think renault are going to make the same mistake they did with the 197 and make it underpowered.

Like the "underpowered" 182 Trophy (which walked over everything in its price range) or, in fact, the vast majority of the Renaultsport range, which has always been more about chassis/handling than out and out power? The biggest issue with the 197 from the reviews appeared to be weight, the signs are good if Renault have somehow managed to make the new Megane lighter despite the ever-tightening safety requirements. Keep the outputs similar but somehow reduce the weight and everyone is going to happy eventually.

The big Vauxhall tuners keep coming up with silly outputs for the VXRs etc, are these ever really mentioned on the same level as the equivalent Renaultsports? No chance, straight line speed grabs the headlines and forum speak, but a few months/years down line the cars generally regarded as "the best" are rarely the ones with the highest output.

Renaultsport appear to be doing ok and are very popular in the UK, the word "mistake" doesn't generally appear next to an RS, the original 225 wasn't received all that brilliantly but they developed it into an exceptional car.

MKIII 138
Not quite a focus RS,but does look good.

but its not aimed at the focus rs, if renault ever make a competing 'R' model in 2011 then id imagine a but meaner looks with 125kg weight saving combined with rws (if it actually gets that) and lsd will probably handle better than the ford. the r26 already has simular tech to that of theFRS i.e revo knuckle and lsd, rws seems to give beyond porsche handling on a fatty soft laguna gt then on a razor sharp megane + LSD it will be about as good as a fwd model can get.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
are you trying to wind people up ?

its not at FRS level, its a ST level

:(

Im waiting on the ring laptime before i let my mouth run away with me.

However the RS is a fast everyday car,the R26R is a track orientated car.If ford were to do a special rally edition and strip that then it would be a match for the R26-r i think.The interior in the ford is a nice place to sit

Golf GTD Mk7
if i remember rightly there was a video on you tube with the focus RS on the ring and the r26 looked quicker. Probably just a prototype though. I'll be supprised if the megan isn't better, but i'm biased :)

Clio 182.
Like the "underpowered" 182 Trophy (which walked over everything in its price range) or, in fact, the vast majority of the Renaultsport range, which has always been more about chassis/handling than out and out power? The biggest issue with the 197 from the reviews appeared to be weight, the signs are good if Renault have somehow managed to make the new Megane lighter despite the ever-tightening safety requirements. Keep the outputs similar but somehow reduce the weight and everyone is going to happy eventually.

The big Vauxhall tuners keep coming up with silly outputs for the VXRs etc, are these ever really mentioned on the same level as the equivalent Renaultsports? No chance, straight line speed grabs the headlines and forum speak, but a few months/years down line the cars generally regarded as "the best" are rarely the ones with the highest output.

Renaultsport appear to be doing ok and are very popular in the UK, the word "mistake" doesn't generally appear next to an RS, the original 225 wasn't received all that brilliantly but they developed it into an exceptional car.

I dont think the trophy was underpowered when it came out. It still isnt, unless you put it next to a modified car of equivalent size.

Phill1978. You cant argue that Focus RS wont be competition for the megane. It will be the same people throwing their money at them out of the dealership. The fact is, the RS is going to be FAST - and it will have 5 seats and real windows. So how you think the a stripped out R model is competition for that, i dont know.

MKIII 138
I dont think the trophy was underpowered when it came out. It still isnt, unless you put it next to a modified car of equivalent size.

Phill1978. You cant argue that Focus RS wont be competition for the megane. It will be the same people throwing their money at them out of the dealership. The fact is, the RS is going to be FAST - and it will have 5 seats and real windows. So how you think the a stripped out R model is competition for that, i dont know.

because of cost, a megane comes in at £19-£20k the FRS is £24-£26k, the FRS is 300bhp, the megane will be 230-250bhp. its different. the focus ST is its main competitor.

interestingly took a hell of a lot of time to make the focus rs vs the time it took to make the R26R ! yet both are equal, shows how average the focus ST is TBH

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
because of cost, a megane comes in at £19-£20k the FRS is £24-£26k, the FRS is 300bhp, the megane will be 230-250bhp. its different. the focus ST is its main competitor.

interestingly took a hell of a lot of time to make the focus rs vs the time it took to make the R26R ! yet both are equal, shows how average the focus ST is TBH
Nonsense. Far from equal. The RS will far outsell the R26R because it's a genuine everyday car. It's easy to make a stripped out track car, the challenge is producing something that fast and keeping it everyday useable.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
who ever it was dont let anybody fool you n say the golfs a good quick car, in a test it was 4 seconds slower on track than a Cupra and a S3 (there all in the same bracket with the same engines)

MKIII 138
Nonsense. Far from equal. The RS will far outsell the R26R because it's a genuine everyday car. It's easy to make a stripped out track car, the challenge is producing something that fast and keeping it everyday useable.

the challenge is in allowing the engineers to do what they need to do, which with a modern company like renault fitting poly carb rear windows on a production car is no mean feat.

I still think the FRS is in a different posistion, i mean how can you compare a 230hp megane to a 300bhp+ 300lbft + FRS ? thats the same as comparing a 130bhp polo gti to a new golf gti. then there is the real world price difference after discounts.

the new megane is all about emission, safety, gadgets and luxury GT sport touring it will be stupidly good at handling but its aimed at the golf gti, the focus st, and the astra vxr.. not a fully fledged 300+ bhp barn stomer like the its aimed at being an allrounder like the leon cura
Focus RS, for that there is not real competion in FWD terms, the reason is because at 300bhp there are plenty of more 'sensible' capable 4wd saloons such as the Evo and impreza.

having said all that, given renault pedigree and that fact it will be a lot lighter than the focus, if it does feature 250bhp then it will be very close, apart from cost which again the renault will be better VFM.

if the new Focus RS looked like the last megane it wouldnt matter if it was 300bhp or not, the fact people are excited about the new RS comes down to willy waving on the streets in a green or white focus RS with mega loud exhaust, 19" mutlispoke wheels, huge spoiler.. windows down tunes pumping.. thats the ford boys for you.

hardly anyone will go to a track and fully exploit it.

thats a hardcore segment of people on here aswell..

the reason a lot of people like renaultsport is that its chique, unusual, rare to an extent, has nice lines and doesnt go OTT with styling like the rs or vxr.

the problem then arises that the type of person who likes OTT, ends up not really liking renault and much prefering the hardcore motors, yet still stay on this site to bad mouth other renault owners and cars.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
the challenge is in allowing the engineers to do what they need to do, which with a modern company like renault fitting poly carb rear windows on a production car is no mean feat.

I still think the FRS is in a different posistion, i mean how can you compare a 230hp megane to a 300bhp+ 300lbft + FRS ? thats the same as comparing a 130bhp polo gti to a new golf gti. then there is the real world price difference after discounts.

the new megane is all about emission, safety, gadgets and luxury GT sport touring it will be stupidly good at handling but its aimed at the golf gti, the focus st, and the astra vxr.. not a fully fledged 300+ bhp barn stomer like the its aimed at being an allrounder like the leon cura
Focus RS, for that there is not real competion in FWD terms, the reason is because at 300bhp there are plenty of more 'sensible' capable 4wd saloons such as the Evo and impreza.

having said all that, given renault pedigree and that fact it will be a lot lighter than the focus, if it does feature 250bhp then it will be very close, apart from cost which again the renault will be better VFM.

if the new Focus RS looked like the last megane it wouldnt matter if it was 300bhp or not, the fact people are excited about the new RS comes down to willy waving on the streets in a green or white focus RS with mega loud exhaust, 19" mutlispoke wheels, huge spoiler.. windows down tunes pumping.. thats the ford boys for you.

hardly anyone will go to a track and fully exploit it.

thats a hardcore segment of people on here aswell..

the reason a lot of people like renaultsport is that its chique, unusual, rare to an extent, has nice lines and doesnt go OTT with styling like the rs or vxr.

the problem then arises that the type of person who likes OTT, ends up not really liking renault and much prefering the hardcore motors, yet still stay on this site to bad mouth other renault owners and cars.
I replied to you comparing them FFS, make your mind up!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
the reason is because at 300bhp there are plenty of more 'sensible' capable 4wd saloons such as the Evo and impreza.

You know what phill i was just thinking how practicle those two cars were.lol

Dont forget a 300 bhp fwd will be quicker than a 4wd version.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
F*ck me, that looks good! Instantly makes the old one look like a relic, as always.

Even in that girly colour.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not really a fan tbh. I'm sure it will grow on me like most RS's though.

Going to Stick with the Green FRS next year I think.

Golf 7R
The Megane 250 -

The 2-litre 16-valve turbocharged petrol engine now boasts maximum power of 250hp at 5,500rpm and peak torque of 340Nm from 3,000rpm, an improvement of 20hp and 40Nm over the previous Mégane Renaultsport R26. The Renaultsport engine's twin-scroll turbo is exceptionally responsive and is particularly responsive at lows revs, with 80 per cent of maximum torque available from just 1,900rpm.