ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2012 Retina Macbook Pro

LY 182
Moved to the dark side and bought a MPB Pro Retina Display after only owning PCs all my life. As I work in IT, I was always unsure about taking the plunge. Best choice I've made in a very long time, dual booting with Win 7 but hardly used it. It is a thing of beauty, blisteringly quick and the screen is just fantastic. :)

Plus 14% discount!

Got a 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2 weeks ago - most mindblowingly amazing laptop I've ever used

Screen is insane, speakers are unreal, apps open in milliseconds. The SSD is insane. It's stupidly quick. It encodes video using the gpu. It weighs feck all compared to my old unibody macbook.

I'm seriously in love

Also after just finding this and reading the first post - who the f**k uses a kensington lock on a laptop - it's a LAPtop - you use it on your lap.
If you want to chain something to a desk buy an iMac ;)

There's absolutely zero reason why any professional (such as myself) would need to lock it to a desk. If it's permanently locked to a desk that's what the iMac is for (which is what we have on our desks).
It's a mobile laptop - for professionals on the move (such as myself)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Students, especially in the states where apple dominate campuses.

Students leave their doors open all the time, if your laptop is locked down then its not going to get stolen.

There's absolutely zero reason why any professional (such as myself) would need to lock it to a desk. If it's permanently locked to a desk that's what the iMac is for (which is what we have on our desks).
It's a mobile laptop - for professionals on the move (such as myself)

LOL ok. Obviously you do my job. No? Oh. Hang on...not everyone uses their computer in the same manner as yourself? MENTAL! I'm not gonna debate you any further on that topic ;)

Moving on, I continue to be impressed with this machine. It's pretty seriously serious. Photos look sensational! Apps open really quickly regardless of how many others are already open or whatever else is happening. File transfer over USB3 to SSD is also super quick.

Best laptop computer in the World.

DB.

BMW 440i
I don't do your job - but explain. If you lock your machine to your desk why does it need to be a laptop?
Surely you'd have an iMac or Mac Pro?

Are you retarded? It leaves the option to unlock it and become portable.

Yeasssssssss but then you're locking it to the desk while you're there and unlocking it when you take it with you. errrr?
99% of people who use kensington locks are businesses who don't want the equipment to be stolen at night or taken home by employees due to sensitive data on them. If that's the case the company wouldn't buy you a portable laptop. That's just my experience from 15 years in IT though.

What I was trying to determine is the bizarre scenario where you would need a portable laptop and want to lock it to a desk and go away without taking it with you.

Also it's all a retarded argument - it was dropped along with the RJ45 because they're too big for the form factor. Keeping them would have made the macbook thicker which would be worse for the 99% of people that don't use the lock

LOL! Installing Windows 7, copying data, playing music, surfing, several open apps. One hand on the wheel. Still super responsive.

Crazy laptop!

More...

Two operating systems, both doing reasonably intensive tasks simultaneously. It still refuses to slow down.

11GB of RAM currently in use. Glad I went for 16GB!

EDIT: Oh and it's still silent. WTF.

Last edited:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I sometimes wish I had went for one of these plus a 27" Thunderbolt display over my iMac.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Though an every option ticked iMac is half the price of one of these.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
IMG_3814.jpg

Agreed with all said.Ive had mine since release,opted for the 16gigs of ram.

I use mine daily connected to 2 30" monitors @ 2560 x1600 + the RMBP's 2880 x 1800 and it runs flawlessly ,incredible machine - love mine :)

Rav4
J273, that looks awesome !!

Can you explain to me how you have both Dell monitors connected and are you using an ethernet adaptor for your rMBP at the same time?

Agreed on the 16GB, if I could and it was reasonable, I would go for the 32GB, what CPU did you choose?

Lovely,

Thanks,

G.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
J273, that looks awesome !!

Can you explain to me how you have both Dell monitors connected and are you using an ethernet adaptor for your rMBP at the same time?

Agreed on the 16GB, if I could and it was reasonable, I would go for the 32GB, what CPU did you choose?

Lovely,

Thanks,

G.

Hiya

Im running 2.3 i7 with the 16gb of ram - dont think you'd notice much between the 2 cpus to be honest id defo opt for the ram rather than cpu - I dont think 32gb of ram options available ,well wasn't when i bought mine.

The RMBP has dual thunderbolt ports so im using 2x dual link display adapters to drive the monitors.Theres a USB on each dual link adapter so i have everything plugged into those like my ethernet adapter,time machine backup,external drives,mouse .etc .etc so once i dock the mbp everythings connected like a desktop machine.

Only thing is ,im running a USB to ethernet as im out of thunderbolt ports with me using the 2 display adapters,because of this im a little restricted speed wise compared to a thunderbolt to USB adapter - still works fine though i just wish they would hurry up with a cheap thunderbolt hub.

Rav4
Hiya

Im running 2.3 i7 with the 16gb of ram - dont think you'd notice much between the 2 cpus to be honest id defo opt for the ram rather than cpu - I dont think 32gb of ram options available ,well wasn't when i bought mine.

The RMBP has dual thunderbolt ports so im using 2x dual link display adapters to drive the monitors.Theres a USB on each dual link adapter so i have everything plugged into those like my ethernet adapter,time machine backup,external drives,mouse .etc .etc so once i dock the mbp everythings connected like a desktop machine.

Only thing is ,im running a USB to ethernet as im out of thunderbolt ports with me using the 2 display adapters,because of this im a little restricted speed wise compared to a thunderbolt to USB adapter - still works fine though i just wish they would hurry up with a cheap thunderbolt hub.

That answers pretty much everything, thank you for taking your time to reply.

I didn't explain myself properly ( was tired) I meant to say I would go for the 32gb if it was possible :)

What is the speed like on the USB to ethernet? Love to see more pics of how it's setup if possible? Might be better by email...

Thanks a million,

G.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Yeasssssssss but then you're locking it to the desk while you're there and unlocking it when you take it with you. errrr?
99% of people who use kensington locks are businesses who don't want the equipment to be stolen at night or taken home by employees due to sensitive data on them. If that's the case the company wouldn't buy you a portable laptop. That's just my experience from 15 years in IT though.

What I was trying to determine is the bizarre scenario where you would need a portable laptop and want to lock it to a desk and go away without taking it with you.

Also it's all a retarded argument - it was dropped along with the RJ45 because they're too big for the form factor. Keeping them would have made the macbook thicker which would be worse for the 99% of people that don't use the lock

Roy, IIRC is a contractor. Might be on one site (I don't mean building site) one day, another the following day. Working with people you may or may not know well. Not to mention, from the limited bit I gather on what Roy does, it will be a site with hundreds, possibly thousands of people there.

I don't lock my lap top down at work, but I regularly rock up at places where I don't know anyone, where i might be for a day or a month, with people who may or may not hate me (nature of my job is that sometimes people will hate me).

If I was paying for my own machines, and particularly if I was dropping the best part of £3K on it, it would be locked down when I wasn't in the office.

If you're rocking up at a clients site, you can hardly turn up with a 27" imac under your arm, can you?

As for not taking it with you. Again, I sometimes have to go and check something, or speak to someone (which I can't do over the phone), so either pack up lap top and carry it around, or lock it up with it locked? Tough call.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

I work for a bank as an IT Consultant. It's the banks policy to lock all laptops (250,000 employees worldwide, 95% of which use laptops) to the desk whether that be on or off site. Failure to do so is a sackable offence regardless of whether you're caught at or away from your desk at the time (obviously it's impossible to monitor those that predominantly work from home - 40% of employees).

Roy, IIRC is a contractor. Might be on one site (I don't mean building site) one day, another the following day. Working with people you may or may not know well. Not to mention, from the limited bit I gather on what Roy does, it will be a site with hundreds, possibly thousands of people there.

I don't lock my lap top down at work, but I regularly rock up at places where I don't know anyone, where i might be for a day or a month, with people who may or may not hate me (nature of my job is that sometimes people will hate me).

If I was paying for my own machines, and particularly if I was dropping the best part of £3K on it, it would be locked down when I wasn't in the office.

If you're rocking up at a clients site, you can hardly turn up with a 27" imac under your arm, can you?

As for not taking it with you. Again, I sometimes have to go and check something, or speak to someone (which I can't do over the phone), so either pack up lap top and carry it around, or lock it up with it locked? Tough call.

You pretty much summed up my professional life with regard to how I use my computers.

Very valid answers - I stand corrected.

I still 100% agree with apple's decision to remove it as it's too much bulk for a slimline laptop and 99% of people don't use it.
There are aftermarket solutions and I believe permanent stick on solutions too

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I have no idea what most of you are talking about not going to lie. But I have one of these Macbook Pro's, absolutely love it.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Very valid answers - I stand corrected.

I still 100% agree with apple's decision to remove it as it's too much bulk for a slimline laptop and 99% of people don't use it.
There are aftermarket solutions and I believe permanent stick on solutions too

Seems a built silly though when there are a lot of businesses out there that might be persuaded to move from windowzzzz to OSX?

My place already has a relationship with Apple (15% off etc).

If they were going after the windowszzzzzzz market - they wouldn't have dropped OSX Server

I really don't think Apple see businesses as there primary market - it's more the education / design sector - always has been
And as has been said - if you were a business wanting desktops you'd buy an iMac anyway - it's hard to justify the extra £800 for a macbook pro lol

Is it worth spending the extra over a standard MacBook Pro on one of these for a normal user who isn't going to be doing much photography with it?

CBR1K, F21 125D
Are there many Retina-optimised apps yet?

I have seen this first person, and it looks sharp. But worth the extra? I don't thing I would benefit just yet. I still do a fair bit of design work on the side so I'm considering a Pro 15" for when I'm working on site for my current job.

Any pro' in here using CS-suite and ACTUALLY notice the difference side by side vs the older screen? Christopher?

The new 13inch retina display is on apple website. Still unsure which to buy. The 13inch only has a dual core i5 but the 15inch has a quad core i7, so i might just pay the extra £300 and get the 15. Or does it not work like that, as the 13inch is smaller therefore it doesn't need a quad core processor?