ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2020 750mc Ktec Clio Championship starts here.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
The provisional calendar has been released, visiting circuits all over the country. I plan on competing in all rounds this year so if theres a track near you stick a note in your diary and pop by and say hello and cheer us on!
IMG_20191201_094642_550.jpg

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I'll keep this thread updated with repair progress after the car got a little squished at Donington a few months back and I've not fixed it yet. I also plan to make a few minor tweeks and review the setup as I just drove it 'out of the box' at the 4 races i entered this year.
IMG_20190908_125317_146.jpg

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
What is the cost of a championship per year? Obviously excluding car and consumables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed, nor Thruxton :(
I didnt do Anglesey, but think it went down well with the Drivers I spoke to so looking forward to it.

I've been a few times, it's a nice circuit (views wise) but not that challenging.

It's pretty wide, so you can take a few liberties with your driving style and not crash haha.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Mallory is 20 mins from me. Short but technical track. I’ll try and make it along, just under a year away lol

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Well Its been a few months and of course with the current world issues the season didn't start until July when we visited Snetterton.
My first time at the track so was never expecting to be hot on the pace but my 3rd lap gave the best time for 15th, and with 0.98s covering 2nd through 16th it was a decent result. I also had one better lap spoilt by a car on a slow lap on the last corner, so had plenty of confidence i could make up places in the race.

1598548757204.png

And so it was, climbing from 15th to 10th in race 1 with all but one place made up on merit.
(I didnt waste time fighting the Black 15 car on lap 2 as he's a front runner and had qualified out of place due to engine issues)

in car :

Alpha live footage, but I dont feature much being stuck in the midfield:

Title.jpg
SnetRace1Wave.jpg

My fastest lap in race 1 put me 9th on the grid for race 2.
Sadly the race ended for me after a few laps in a smokey mess - which turned out to be a gearbox failure (Despite still getting all gears and having good drive it Left a big hole in the diff casing!

20200801_155858.jpg

Thanks to Cliobreaker in Farnham who supplied a superb used box I was able to get it fixed the following weekend and head out to Brands Hatch - a track I know really well and was full of confidence it would be a good showing...

... famous last words.

The english weather decided to have fun with us so a soggy day was always going to make it challenging if not lots of fun.

I treated my self to a new set of tyres but was happy the rears were fairly good so just fitted them to the front. Sadly this was major f**k up No1 of the weekend. The 2nd major f**k up was leaving my gloves in the paddock before quali, meaning I missed the first 4 laps, which typically were the only laps that werent behind a safety car, these slow laps meant I was at the back of the 21 car grid, albeit penalties for others moved me to 19th. The slow quali laps meant I didnt discovery f**k up number 1 till lap number 2 of the race where I realised the rear tyres were in fact shot and led to 13 laps of constant skid correction and some impressive tokyo drifting... so much so I got tiktok'ed by one of the spectators. At least that made me smile... and I still made up a couple of places finishing 16th.

750MCSurtees.jpg

Check out my facebook page for a normal in car video of race1

or enjoy some 360 footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_2L95Wis8c

So Race 2, new tyres on all 4 corners now, obviously the tyre issue meant my race 1 fastest lap only put me 17th on the grid. But the new tyres made a world of difference, allowing me to climb to 10th, but sadly dropping back to 12th for the chequered flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSVjM4_IfGQ

So over all certainly not what I was hoping for on a track ive done close to 1000laps around and my pre-season test times showed me in the top 10 on paper, but the car came back in the same shape and running condition as it started so not so bad. Next race is Oulton Park on the 5th Sept, but work commitments and the ever present post furlough finances may keep me at home till Silverstone in November.

Clio 182
Was watching the Snetterton coverage and remember seeing the car retire smoking. Good write up, shame about some of the issues but as you say at least it is back in one piece (y)

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Oulton Park Report:

My first visit to Oulton and boy is it fun. Fast, Hilly, scary. Got one decent lap in quali putting me 10th on race 1. Other laps were bad and consistency is always key, but as it was my first visit I wasnt to concerned I was 1.8 sec off the front, I do seem to find more consistency in a race when I have cars to follow.

Race 1:
I got a flying start, helped by others in front having poor ones, meaning I leapfrogged to 4th by turn 2. I kept a reasonable pace but did drop off the leading pack slowly, and then my brakes started to fade, leaving my vulnerable and ended up loosing 2 places, but a 6th place finish is my best to date so I wasn't going to complain.

Also got a new gopro and the 360 camera running so sound its better on these new videos.
Race 1

JonElsey750MC2020-Oulton-Clio-329 (2).jpg

JonElsey750MC2020-Oulton-Clio-350 (2).jpg

This explained the brake fade, I checked them before quali and appeared fine... Lesson learnt, check every time, and check properly!!

20200905_135402.jpg

Despite the brake issues, a small improvement in my circuit knowledge led to a better lap time in race 1 (which sets race 2 grid), whilst others dropped off slightly so it put me 6th. With new brakes fitted I was concerned they would be bedding in under race conditions but I had no other choice!

Race2 :
An average start for me from 6th, but a few cars behind all got better ones so got mugged down to 9th out of turn 1 but a dive in to Cascades earnt me back 8th. The leader dropped out a few laps later promoting me to 7th and a had a great battle for 6th/7th/8th, but a fluffed gear change on the penultimate lap lost me 7th bringing it home for 8th place.

I sit 10th in the championship but with 2 dropped scores to be removed its hard to tell, I was hoping my DNF at Snet and poor race at Brands would be the ones I could drop, but the fact I cant make Mallory on the 4th Oct will mean they will be instead. My next outing is 14th Nov at Silverstone National, the last of the year so I will have to wait till then to find out how that 10th will fair.

Race2:

360:

OultonWave.jpg

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Some great pictures David, and your blog is very encouraging to anyone sitting on the side line like me. To get back out there again.
Lets see how it all goes, looking forward to some racing again in 2021.
Good luck at silverstone. And yes some new front pads. regards mark

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
@loggyboy how much did it cost to get your car ready? And how much are uprated parts?
I bought this one prebuilt, you can pick up a used car between £6k and 8k - but rough cost of parts are (assuming you have a car) :

£1000 Cage (free choice assuming MSA compliant)
£1000 Coilovers (Ktec)
£1000 Gen90 ECU (fixed map) (Ktec)
£300 per set of alloys (Polleysport)
£400 per set of tyres (Polleysport)
£400 Fire Extinguisher (Free choice, FIA approved)
Usual other MSA/Series requirements (elec cut off , HD in car camera) £100?

So maybe £5k.

RS 200
Lovely, saw that it was at Mark’s and planned to have a look but you beat me to it! I race in TDT so happy to help on any regs questions etc. Very different to 750mc!
That is lovely - seen the car a few times as my car is stored at Mark Fish where that car was for a while. I have a white RS200 and was thinking of the TDT - out of interest, why did you choose TDT and not 750 - i was thinking of hot hatch 750 but was also looking at TDT - just wanted to pick your brains if that's ok ?

Rob Quantrell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Short answer as it’s loggyboys thread but for a 182 on standard power the bhp/ton categories in TDT and TDC put the car at the top of class C. For 750 hot hatch we’d be swimming in the middle (hence why so few Clios run in hot hatch). Pm me for more details, happy to answer any QS

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
The 2020 season finished on Saturday, and what a busy Saturday it was. Quali was very slippery, made worse by a failing rear hub bearing sending me in to the gravel and nearly loosing the bumper.

IMG-20201212-WA0000.jpg

With a contracted day we had little time to get the bearing swapped but with a great team effort we made the start albeit from the pit lane. With no warm up lap the tyres took a while to come in but I steadily thought my way up to 7th so a positive finish to race 1.

IMG-20201212-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20201212-WA0002.jpg

My fastest lap in Race 1 put me 9th for Race 2.
Race 2 was full of action, a cramped turn 1 dropped me to the back but climbing back up and gaining a few places, but a huge wobble when pushing for another position thru Craners (at one point facing completely the wrong direction!) led to a detour across the grass which knocked me close to the back again but put a great push over the last few laps to recover and claim another 7th.

IMG-20201212-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20201212-WA0005.jpg

Sad to see a few competitors with some big damage (2 Clios rolled over the weekend) but everyone walked away to race another day.

Will get the full videos edited and uploaded ASAP.