ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

205's on 172

Cam'd Arctic FF 182
I've got 172 Ph2 wheels and I was recommended by a bloke at "Just Tyres" that I need 205's and when he trial fitted them they looked a nicer fit than my 195's but I'd think there's little benefit in terms of contact area...

Not sure if they'd rub significantly on a Sport but my 195's rubbed hard without spacers before I lowered it.

Westy. MX5
Fitting 205's on an RS Clio will ruin the handling designed by Renualt. In general, putting wider tyres on on rims designed for 195's makes handling floppier. On the other hand if you fit wider corresponding rims you could fit 205's. for a small inprovement in grip.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's nonsense. The wheels are the same size as the 182 wheels, which come on 205's as standard.

its all personal anyway, as with everything on here that ends in arguement.

i prefer the way mine felt on 195's hence me sticking with them.

the 205's fit, and dont rub, they look wider. so if you want to fit them then do it. your choice.

Westy. MX5
It's nonsense. The wheels are the same size as the 182 wheels, which come on 205's as standard.
That's why 172 Cups handle better than 182's.
However if Mickstoke wants 205 tyres thats ok, they will fit, but at the expense of sharper handling and the speedo will not be as accurate due to difference in tyre circumference.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
However if Mickstoke wants 205 tyres thats ok, they will fit, but at the expense of sharper handling and the speedo will not be as accurate due to difference in tyre circumference.
Can o worms. Pretty much every review I read had the 182FF as a step-up over the 172cup. And there's other factors at work, different suspension, different weight, different tyre (conti v pe2).

If you're point were valid, the 172 would handle better than a 182, but they don't. And the Trophy is a step up again, also 205's.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I've run mine on 195s, 205s, and even 185s over 120k miles from new...apart from ultimate grip level and a bit of tramlining variance, I can honestly say that I've never noticed a difference in 'handling'. Feedback doesn't vary much, and it still responds as I want it to regardless of what boots it's wearing.

Westy. MX5
I've run mine on 195s, 205s, and even 185s over 120k miles from new...apart from ultimate grip level and a bit of tramlining variance, I can honestly say that I've never noticed a difference in 'handling'. Feedback doesn't vary much, and it still responds as I want it to regardless of what boots it's wearing.

I would have to bow to your experience, yes, the differences are very small indeed.:hail::hail:

R26
a wider tyre doesn't change the speedo Reading... A thicker tyre does... Ie a 50 instead of a 45