ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

20vt 172 project confusion and decisions :S?

172 turbo
basically asking some one whats best option for powere due to when you turbo or supercharge a f4r engine unless doing internals you seem to get alot of problems also limeted power how ever i was told this 20 v engine with a turbo can go up to 400 bhp now surely why has this not been more common or have loads of people i done it? i have 2002 ph2 172 and want to do this mod how ever any tuning company offer this of package or simply up to me, if not to hard to actually do if things fit stock or youve got to start drilling cutiing etc thanks please what this engine is and where its from seat cupra lumo or am i wrong cheer ?

172 turbo
on here link website

? thats fine if your looking aT 300BHP PLUS BEETS messing around with the standard lump

Stripped yozza'd cup
Dude, punctuation!

I'd be incredibly surprised if that was possible (without massive amounts of time, effort and money)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
And its not offered a kit as its an audi engine, so not exactly a straight swap.

172 turbo
lol but surely someone on here would do it if i oayed them but want them to of done it before?

Ph1
Cost you about 10k + i reckon, to get someone to do this and take it to 400. Would need to be a home brew special and even then its not going to be cheap and all in the name of reliability.

Far easier just lumping a charger or turbo on what you have.

Theres a lad with a R5 running over 400brake with the F4R lump. The potential is there

172 turbo
10k serious >? and surely a reliable engine gearbox loom etc? f4r engine ive read after track abuse even some forged internals they start with oil leaks etc can i take that risk its expensive if unreliable ???

Ph1
Someone who's done this conversion posted up years back it stood them at 8k iirc. Thats a guy who knows his stuff, done it himself and modded to 400+
To get a company to do the fabrication and fit would be mega bucks and thats before tuning. Good conversion if you can do it yourself tho.

Never heard of oil leaks after doing a track day?

172 turbo
o right never ? hmm mate had supcharged v6 all sorts whent wrong so asuming the 172 will to FRENCH!! lol

Listerine & Poledo
Old S3's come in at less than this project would cost, and be better able to put the power down.

Westy. MX5
Or a Golf GTi as that is where the 20V. engine came from.
That does not look right right either, how about "originated"

Agood conversion back when it was done, however i reckon you would get 400bhp out of a 172 for half waht you would doing that covnersion with that hp

ValverInBits
I've done one. I've not driven it further than the end of my drive as it needs an MOT and a map, but it's all there.

My car is a MK1 by the MK2s (having owned 2) are extremely similar. Does it require cutting and welding? YES. Plenty. The sump hits the subframe on the O/S and you need to remove a LOT of material from the subframe and build it back up. No-one does off-the-shelf mounts. I've used 2 MK4 golf N/S mounts to hold the engine either side with mount adapters in there to make up the gaps. The dogbone mount is a difficult one. I've done my own bar and moved the mount point. This all sounds simple in words, but it's very time consuming when you get to it.

The real advantages that you get are: An engine setup to run boost with a bottom end to support 270-280 lbft, and a gearbox to support 350bhp / 350 lbft. Whereas an F4R lump really stuggles with the gearboxes that just wont take the power.

I'm pleased with the car, and I don't think I would change the spec much if starting again. But your talking a LOT of hard work to fit it, and probably far more ££ than you'd expect just to get a base 150bhp 20vT running in a clio.

400bhp, you need rods, pistons, recommend a re-bore, manifold (£600+ for anything worthwhile), turbo GT30 ish (£1k+), and tbh 300 bhp is far too much power for FWD and road use, why 400?

4WD would be a HUGE project on a clio if your thinking of S3 gearboxes, and VW transverse gear is not a good way to go (all haldex b****cks). You'd want a complete scoob or EVO (which has been done BTW) setup.

172 turbo
i understand so proberly best buying a clio with this conversion done to save alot of money ? post loads pics of yours up finished or not get me thinking cheers and when u selling? it must ruin anything on the road!!>?

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Have you ever driven or been passenger in a charged or turbo'd engined Clio mate. ie bolt-on... Easier, and more than enough IMO.

Maybe an idea, as not sure I'd be wanting anymore than this in my French tin-can with easter egg build quality..

172 turbo
thats the point a sleeper and yes a turb 172 clio was rapid but reliabilty is the worry and the gearboxes are crap it wont last for ever ???