ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd emmisions failure what to do next

phase 1 172
Its 1st emmisions test only the lambda was out-he managed to get it to go green breifly but dropped another bar

I went home put some fresh petrol in (that had stood a few month with very little in)
Fitted new cat tocatback gasket as it leaked
changed the upstream lambda it was clearly knackered a bit rattled inside (spare used one fitted)

and assumed all would be well and went for the retest,i got there 20 minutes early so the car had cooled down by the time it got plugged in
It had only drove 6/7 mile anyway

Quick brake test then onto.the emmisions only 1 green bar (i forget which and got no printout) 30 secomds later he gave up failed it

Now what bugs me is the 1st test lasted a few minutes (a counter on the screen) he just gave up on this one,he also explained last time "they usually wait till.close the end once the cats warm"

where do i go from here ? New lambda new cat dfferent garage remove mods ?

I'd say new cat!

Ive recently had the othr way round. thought to be cat, and exhaust. Replaced exhaust with a stealth cat back and another cat. Got better but would have still failed. changed the lamdba and jobs a good'un.

Try the cat first, they come up cheap enough.

Last edited:
  phase 1 172
The cats a ktec sports cat its kitterally travelled for its for ots failures since fitted

swapping cats means swapping back to the 4-1 manifold and trying another unkoan cat

I also changed plugs (new oem) is it possible the inlets leaking slightly?

I also have the airbon mounted directly to the throttle body could that upset things

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
and assumed all would be well and went for the retest,i got there 20 minutes early so the car had cooled down by the time it got plugged in
It had only drove 6/7 mile anyway

This is part of your problem, especially if it's running a sports cat.

Rag the balls off it and get it red hot.
seen this time and time again on scoobies and other motors with sports cats fitted.

cat's don't really start working until they get to around 400'C

Last edited:

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Don't most cats need a "bedding in" so to speak??
If it's a new sports cat then don't rag the arse out of it straight away, will knacker it long term. Need to get it hot on a longer drive though

I have a k-tec sports cat. Before i go to mot shop i give the car death.

The cat and brakes are glowing when get there;)

Get some proper heat through it.

I would put the intake back to standard or as near possible. I can't see that causing the issue but it would be sucking hot air in.

As said the cat needs to be glowing.

phase 1 172
Il get that swapped over today

Also pondered over v-power/superunleaded so googled it and it turns out these are supposed to.be on higher octane fuel anyway,that maybe my issue crappy petrol