ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 Points (0195) Driving whilst on the phone.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Pulled my phone out as it went off on the way home home earlier, pressed the button (iPhone) and put it back in my pocket, police were hiding and saw me do it, pulled me over and have given me a £60 fine and 3 points. I was obviously in the wrong so I'm not worried about that, its just they told me I don't have to tell my insurance till renewal (September) and I just wanted to know if this is the case? And will it raise my premium by much? I presume there is just more than me that have been charged for this offense? Cheers.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
^ why is that though?

surely not declaring to the insurance people would cause the insurance to be voided,

Fiesta ST2
tell them stright away.. same with mods on the car stright away.

I thought the first 3 points didnt matter?

BG 182
usually insurance premiums only go up on the 4th point. 3 points should be fine.....unless your under 21, then it may differ.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My wife has just (well, the last 2 months or so) told her insurance co about 3 points for speeding and they said they won't do anything until renewal time in September.

No idea if its the same for a phone though.

Bumder With A Buffer
Check your documents it'll say if you have to declare them straight away.

"You must inform us of any alteratins to your details"

Evey insurance company I know says this. I would always ruing and tell them even if it didnt say in the documents. f**k not getting paid out over something silly like that.

Bumder With A Buffer
My wife has just (well, the last 2 months or so) told her insurance co about 3 points for speeding and they said they won't do anything until renewal time in September.

No idea if its the same for a phone though.

When I had 3 points greenlight said it made f**k all difference to my premium as 3 points are so common nowadays.

He said anything over that and it would increase though. This was a few years ago mind.

As far as im aware, as you put Daniel, it wont go up until renewal for anyone but I would tell them ASAP as its a change in details. Obviously that changes between companies though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah thats why I told her to ring them.

If the car gets pinched and she hasn't told them you can be sure they will try to wiggle out of paying!!

Always best to be honest.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the advice, I'll ring the insurers up tomorrow and let them know whats what. Fingers crossed it won't go up by a huge amount.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
As said above, legally have to tell them but very very unlikely they'll put your premium up mid way.

With regards to renewal, the increase (if any) will vary company to company. I got 3 points when I was 17, and was charged a bit extra till the last time I declared them with the companies I'd been with. Obviously, as premiums go down, the increase gets smaller. Some companies may decided to just overlook it.

3 points for speeding is one thing. They catch so many people now it's just accepted that people will have a few points.

3 points for using your phone is totally different.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Refreshing for someone to just accept the points and not whine about it. Well played fella!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I got caught using my mobile at a red light, told the insurance company once I got the licence back with the points on it.

No difference to the policy at the time, and iirc it still went down at renewal.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
3 points for speeding is one thing. They catch so many people now it's just accepted that people will have a few points.

I remember reading a report a while back which said insurers view 3 points for a phone offence as much more serious than 3 points for a minor speeding offence.

Makes sense to me.

Never above 25mpg

Thats why I think those of us with a clean licence are getting penalised :(

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
i told them about my 3 points the next day and they didnt do anything about it till renewal, and my insurance only went up £50 which wasnt to bad tbh

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Tunst said:
i told them about my 3 points the next day and they didnt do anything about it till renewal, and my insurance only went up £50 which wasnt to bad tbh
What was your offense for buddy?

Astra SRI/ Hornet
You don't have to tell your insurance company till the renewal, I've claimed with undeclared points and they said is was fine, asked some1 who owns a insurance broker first and he said the same.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Found it without having to ask the 'rents. Going to produce it later today. Any one know how long this usually takes?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
All sorted now, just need to ring up to pay the fine then they can process my license. Also phoned my insurance company up and they said I don't have to tell them till renewal.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
What does 0195 relate to?

My phone points are down as CU80 on my licence.

Not sure buddy that's just the code on the ticket, I just presumed it was the offense code. Did your points put your premium up?

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I got a CU80 on the very day the law became law:dapprove:

So that was a bit annoying, but hey I haven't done it since (2007).

When I declared it (before the renewal) my insurance company was fine about it and I don't think it made any difference tbh. All the companies I have since done quotes with online have charged exactly the same with or without a CU80.

Just tell them, The copper might be wrong, not like they know everything is it, better safe than sorry, what if you have a crash tomorrow and they find out you have this caution, that is something for them to use to get out of paying for your damage.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Derelict-UK said:

When I declared it (before the renewal) my insurance company was fine about it and I don't think it made any difference tbh. All the companies I have since done quotes with online have charged exactly the same with or without a CU80.

Just tell them, The copper might be wrong, not like they know everything is it, better safe than sorry, what if you have a crash tomorrow and they find out you have this caution, that is something for them to use to get out of paying for your damage.

Already contacted them :) they said not to worry till renewal in September!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Lol, I think mine was the day after it came into force, end of March 2007?

Stopped at a red light, hand brake on, put my phone to my ear and said "I'll call you back", as I said "back", a police car pulled up to the red light on the opposite side of the road.

I didn't have a problem with the points as such, I do think his discretion could have been used - but I would think that as it would have saved me 3 points. But I had a huge problem with his lecture about, and I quote "saving innocent people's lives" - despite me explaining I was at a red light and showing him the call time etc.

Oh well - live and learn and all that.

197 Sport
3 points do matter and raise insurance. Try doing a quote on line but change points to 3 on second quote, and it always goes up. im 35 with 3 points that are 4 years old now and still costs me about £50 extra!