ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

306 gti6, how do they compare to...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
sharkaroo said:
different story cos i dont know anyone with one! peugeot havent quite got the knack of making powerful engines.

What so 167bhp from a normally aspirated 2.0 16v engine without anything fancy like VVT over 10 years ago!?

Then there was the 1.9 Mi16 engine pumping out 160bhp before that.

No, Peugeot are useless... ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Neil G said:
Nice car the GTi 6...wasn't it available with full leather too?

No, was leather & alcantara like the Clio, the Xsara VTS was available with full leather though

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I've owned a 306 Rallye, a 172 Cup, and a GTi-6 as well, trust me the Clio is not massively faster in the real world...

The Clio is quicker off the line due to being lighter and the closer gearing, but the 306 is stronger at higher speeds due to the ratios of the 6 speed box. Handling wise, the 306 has the better chassis, it's more composed at speed and confident over ruts/dips/potholes, cross country I could push harder in the 306, wheras the Clio is better at tight twisty lower speed stuff, like a go kart.

My 1/4 mile times:

Rallye - 14.8secs @ 93mph
Cup - 14.5secs @ 93mph
GTi-6 - 15.0secs @ 94mph

(all 3 standard apart from a filter)

Not a massive difference there, look at what 1/4 mile times most 172/182's get and the 306's are right up there!

Remember that the 306 is an older generation of car though, they came out back in 1996 now and back then they were king, just a shame Peugeot went off the rails.

106 GTi
CUPCRAZY said:
I heard that the head gaskets on the GTI6 tend to blow a lot.

Mate had one and had nothing but trouble with it.

Rich-D said:
You heard wrong...

Indeed head gaskets are not a problem - they do like to eat cambelts and bend valves.

Megane 225 Cup
Right, i have an answer to this as ive seen them raced against each other... 182 is quicker to about 70. then the pug WILL catch up... no doubt..

Rich said:
Peugeot test cars with half load IIRC, Half a tank of fuel and one passenger.

That's true^^ enables them to swindle the insurance group slightly, like the saxo vts is a grp 14, tested on near empty tank and no passenger and the 106 was 1 up and half a tank, more like a real life situation?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Rich said:
Indeed head gaskets are not a problem - they do like to eat cambelts and bend valves.

It's not actually the belt that snaps though...

The tensioner pulley on the early cars was subject to failing, or sometimes the water pump fails, which results in the belt slipping and pistons meeting valves! :dead:

Hence why on both mine the belt, tensioners and water pump were all done well befor they were scheduled to be done. ;)

106 GTi
You dont need to tell me mate, I know the score there.

The last two cars I went to look at for sale had both had reciepts for failures under 20K and 2 years old. Both tapped like hell after rebuild too.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Rich said:
You dont need to tell me mate, I know the score there.

Just informing the good boys & girls of Cliosport so they know the facts... ;)

Rich said:
The last two cars I went to look at for sale had both had reciepts for failures under 20K and 2 years old. Both tapped like hell after rebuild too.

Yeah, I'd never buy a repaired one after a snap :dead:

Jays172 said:
That's true^^ enables them to swindle the insurance group slightly, like the saxo vts is a grp 14, tested on near empty tank and no passenger and the 106 was 1 up and half a tank, more like a real life situation?

forgot to put my point really-the end to all that is the 106 comes out at a grp 13!

172 cup
The 6 speed gear box is what makes them, the power is always there after a gearchange. The handling is not to everyones taste, but once used to the lift off oversteer its an extremely addictive car to drive.
My bud has a 172 cup and our cars are pretty much neck and neck (mine is a 306 rallye) he pulled away slightly in second, then i pulled it back when i got into third and stayed with him till we reached the speed limit:D :D :lolup: of course it could be that he cant drive ha ha cue the abuse....
When he loses his licence im gonna buy it off of him:rasp: :rasp: what a cracking car it is!

Last edited:
  Clio Trophy
Ok,

Well i have owned both a Trophy ( Still have it now ) and had an R reg 1998 Gti-6.

The Gti-6 was an awesome piece of kit. Rarely had any trouble with it. Owned it for nearly 4 years and loved every minute of it. There are obviously gonna be Thrashed examples out there, but if the car is looked after you should see no real problems. Mine had covered 74k when i sold it, and it had been driven pretty hard from the 9k when i got it. So the standard suspension set up could have done with a re-work to tighten it back up! It wasnt abused, just driven as it wanted to be driven. I rarely had a problem with lift off oversteer. You really have to be going some on the roads for it to kick in, or if it was a bit damp! But i loved it and thought it was a top car! i did a 0-60 run in it. Clocked a 7.6 Sec which i was happy with.

So now onto the Trophy! It took a long time for me to make the decision to give up the Gti-6. And it was only when the Trophy came along that i felt it was the right car to sell for. i had test driven an FF 182, a Civic Type-R, and i never actually got to test drive a Trophy but i was just taken with it. It definately seems to have a bit more poke lower down than the Gti-6. But i just put this down to power and weight! If you park a Clio behind a 306 and look sideways on at it, you can hardly see it! They are a lot smaller! i do really miss the 6th gear though. the hight revving in the trophy on motorways does get tedious! The handling on the Trophy is definately sharper and feels more rewarding.

But all in all. both great cars within their class! i know from being on cliotrophy.co.uk, a lot of the trophy owners on there came from Gti-6's. And im not sure a many of them would look back.

Wigstar1

Don't think so, a bit too quick that... 8.5 sounds about right. Very good chassis though :)

7.2 and 6.9 are right for the GTI6 and Rallye,
After one try at a 0-60 time in my Stage 1 306 HDI with around 125 bhp and 210 lb ft I managed 8.5 sec.
The GTI6 has less torque than mine but has 167 bhp conpared to my 125, the GTI6 certainly doesnt do 0-60 in 8.5 seconds mate! :)

ST
oldthreadry5.jpg