ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

306 hdi

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 27 January 2003

i will.. cause thats where youll always be ;)
ouch :) thats only because your cough STANDARD cough 16v is holding me up lol.

S2000

Have I missed something why has this board been invaded by deisel drivers? Anyway.....

Who was it that said torque is everything? Dont agree with you there mate, not going by experience anyway. My 172 has 150 odd lb/ft of torque. My mates chipped Cupra has 240lb/ft of torque. Now, he makes his torque at some stupidly low amount of revs and I make my peak level at some stupidly high revs! The result, I am neck and neck with him! So torque is not everything, its how evenly it is spread throughout the rev range, I think if he had his chip remapped to evenly spread the toque, hed pull away from me!

aint the concept pug 2 seater made in a diesel and has a pretty quick 0-60 and te new Merc Coupe that does 0-60 under 7 and its a diesel too!!

Oh My god there every where!

Heeellllppppp uuussss

Gor bored of reading all these post (funny as they are though) i a have to say

Diesel are plap. I have a clio 1400 rt, my ex bird has 306 HDI, i blitz her every timne in my clio. She has also f**kin hammered me when i was driving the HDI just for a laugh, these stupid ferkin oil guzzlers stop pullin just after you get off biting point (about 3-4K RPM ;))

Oh the clio is an R5GTT lump too

I think tuned diesel are great but spouting off all this power & 0-60 times is pointless. For the price of your HDI i could buy a RWD Saff Cosworth (56,000 miles, mate is selling) and tune it to 300bhp (already has that) - how would you HDI compare in performance then? Maybe and import Scooby 5-7k for the old ones? Nissan Pulsar Gti-R 5k. Lets face it for the money it aint quick and if the 206 GTI cant handle anything like a hot hatch i doubt the HDI can either. you get great MPG and decent perfomance.

bit slow but very impressive chart of the diesel 160hpp n that torque is closin up on subaru n evo torque number interestin..... i wonder how it will fear in the rain with front wheel puttin close to 400nm down interestin though ... must have been very well excuted in the mod

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Mate thats sweet looking on the 206.

Is she the 1.9hdi or the 1.4hdi? Thinkin about stickin an intercooler in my dci65 and tuning it.

The old d turbos (mechanical injestion ones) could be tuned by turning a couple of screws on the furl pump and adjusting the wastegate on the turbo in 30mins for no cost to around 105-115bhp.

I like those gran tourisme 206s, i saw one with a WRC wing on the back, looked as good as any cossie. Shame they have no power and a fairly dull chassis.

Its taken me a good 10 mins to read this topic through! Diesels sound sh*t, i would never have one. However i respect the pug boys for the effort theyre put into their cars. One thing is that the pug 206s dont have a very good chassis and you guys are putting more weight at the front with these intercoolers and big bumpers etc so youve just got understeer machines. What fun.

I think alot of people are missing the point!

First off I do alot of miles so cannot justify a petrol "hot-hatch!" ive had a J reg 16valve a couple of years ago and never got much more than 25mpg when pushing it! Even with the mods ive done to my HDI it will still do over 45mpg when im thrashing it!

Second insurance! From memory the clio was a insurance group 11 but the HDI is only 5! So work it out! Even with ALL mods declaired it is still a third of the price it was for the Clio!

Lower car Tax

Fourth its cheap to get big increases in power!

Fifth just to be differant

Sixth diesels with this sort of power are very easy to drive! Plenty of torque to waft you along! No screeming engines here!

Last of all it realy pi**es people off to think a diesel can be compaired to petrol performance wise!

I think this topic has upset alot of people and I want to make it clear that we HDI lads are not sl*gging the clio valvers off! (Not me anyway!)We are just saying that a diesel can be on par with petrol hot hatches! An believe me when I say this my valver was the best petrol car ive ever owned! I had alot of fun in in! And if I was in the position to buy a second car it WOULD be a clio valver!

PS Robfenn - With the right suspension mods a 206 can be made to handle very well! I admitt that most 206 owners just put a set of springs on and lower the rear bars! And yes it will understeer! But with the right anti-roll bars and uprated torsion bars its a differant story!

Sounds an expensive job though mate. Torque is admittedly good but power gives more fun, im always in the upper third of the range so torque doesnt matter much to me anyway, but i know what you mean.

I think for a fair opinion youll need to lend me your keys ;)

CTR EK9 turbo

I quite like the idea of good MPG and good acceleration. My dads getting the Golf 150 bhp GT TDi soon and ill be insured. It will have 236 lb/ft of torque and the same bhp as his current Gti 1.8T. I dont know the figures for acceleration/in gear times etc, but ive heard its a fair bit quicker and a whole lot better on MPG.

Yeah, they sound like tractors and smell nasty but what a dream to have performance and good economy! If i was buying a second car for commuting, id definately consider a diesel turbo. And if they can be tuned cheaply then thats even better. Im sure in one of my CCC mags theres a Golf TDi Rally car in there. Now if theyre into rallying then surely its time to respect diesels a bit more?

Here are the pros and cons: lower tax, lower insurance, better MPG, possibly cheaper tuning?

Heavy, diesel, smelly, image, no respect, engine noise etc.

Ill let you know after ive driven my dads my whole opinion. Ive driven many 206 hdis, 306 dturbos, 406 hdis etc. My favourite was the 306 dtubos as they -once you learn how to drive them and change gear quickly at around 4000 rpm- in my opinion can be pretty quick. Even if they only do 0-60 in something like 10 secs. Im constantly driving around in something like 3rd gear and then flooring it wishing that i had loads of torque down there do push me along.

On the other hand, i also love the surge at high rpms and i think you -as a driver- would get more of a rush from driving a petrol powered car. From ancillaries like the noise, engine behaviour, smells etc.....

Just a few suggestions. Thanks, Si

To tell you the truth I would love the chance to drive a valver back to back with my car! Its a completely different driving principle! Only then could myself and others in this disscusion realy have a good idea of how they compair! Ive just got so used to the relaxed driving with bucket loads of pulling power low down pulling me along! Think ill try and get a go in a valver some how just for old time sake!

http://www.maxdcarclub.co.uk/carpics/iancopass4.jpg

I like the look of this car.

I was saying in some other thread how different the driving style is.

TD: foot down, thrust, thrust wanes, change gear...back on the power

Clio 16v: foot down...erm...ok, shes picking up, hmmm this is good, whoa boy, full thrust, oops hit rev limit, change gear...(try to get to next power band)...wait for full thrust again.

Lets face it, you wouldnt have both a HDi and a 16v on your shopping list together - you prefer one or the other. Doesnt mean you cant have both though...

http://www.cliosport.net/gallery/clio16v/benh2.jpg

Things will change if the companies start putting out proper diesel hot-hatches. The mk4 Golf 150 GT TD isnt the best drivers car and not aimed at the HH market anyway. Maybe in a few years, they are getting closer to producing one. The seat ibiza tdi is the closest so far but why keep calling them TDIs. If they are sporty enough call them Gtis.

No doubt at some point someone will point to the Golf racing TDi.

Just want to point out that this is more a case of:

"Hello this is VW marketing here - get us a TD racecar"...

than...

"OOhhh - diesels are the best for racing"

You know the old adage: race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Theres not much point racing ever more developed petrol models if your core market is after diesels.

Currently, UK company car tax assess cars on the basis of Co2 - hence the scramble for TD cars and turbo petrol car (especially among the volume manufacturers).

While TDs are nice to drive in themselves, if the car tax becomes dependent on another measure - say toxins per kg instead of Co2 - then TDs as we know them are buggered.

Cant I just keep that under my hat? Ive gone to great lengths to keep it all quiet, e.g. by puting on the original wheels and finding an original air box.

Its not been driven since late November, when the engine blew out a spark plug. Ive still not got the wheels on it yet and the brakes have thoroughly frozen on (its sat on axle stands at the mo). It all seems OK, but I havent had a chance to see if its down to anything majorly dodgy or whether it was just my amateurish tightening up of the spark plug.

Either way, its still a quick car!;)

Will tell you what Im making at the wheels after the RR day on 15th Feb.

Kangoo 70 DCi +

Quote: Originally posted by tomclio1.2 on 29 January 2003

why bother spending all that cash on a 206?

get a decent car!!
why bother getting a 1.2! my 205 xld would trash that!

The small engined clios are fun to own and drive...the 206 isnt . After my (mercifully) short lived experience of owning a 206 GTi, I would go as far as to say that theyre not decent cars!

The problem is i associate a good soundtrack with performance cars and will therefore never call a diesel sporty, i doubt im alone.

also, the guy who said when you change gear in a valver you have to wait for power band to kick in again is VERY wrong. in mine if i shift at 7k i start at 5.5k in next gear(i think) and if i change at 7.5k i end up at 6.2k in next gear. if i get a standing start and hit all my power bands very little will keep up with me. in a diesel you have to shift at something stupid llike 4k to keep the power on, thats poo.