ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

306 hdi

Zafira and GSXR

Alright Gav and Kenny I see you have meet the non believers.

I will say it again the 16vs I have raced DID beat me to 60mph but I was on his bumper (started off side by side) but round the corners and off the roundabout my diesel pulled better, enough to pass him and stay in front untill we had to brake at 100mph for the next roundabout where the 306 handling left the clio behind. Maybe he did have the balls to push it in the clios are very twitchy from my experience (mate had one).

Twist this all you want but Gav and Kenny would kill stright off with that power sorry.

How does a valver compair to a audi TT?? Cos I can give TTs a run for their money! And as for Mk4 Golf 1.8Ts I just dont bother any more! Its all to easy!

right...

kenny. group 11 insurance mate

Neil. hi. handling wise. the clio was made for pure handling.. but its how hard your willing to push it... itll go a lot further than u expect.. but to do roundabouts and stuff u do need to get the gearing dead right!! cause its soo boggy under 4000 revs, if the guy didnt then most cars would have it with ease..

for example... my mate had a saxo vtr. we went out and raced of the lights to see the difference between 8v and 16vs.. off the lights he shot off (me thinking "oh poo!") then i hit the power band at 4000 and shot past him like he was standing still!! - still makes me laugh how quick his face dropped as i passed!! - lol

Zafira and GSXR

Alright Ben J

That one I raced above. I got off the line by about a cars length 2nd stayed the same but 3rd (bog for some reason, no intercooler I think) he got along side and just got in front when we hit 60. I am talking about 2 feet between the bumpers and it stayed the same through 4th. He might have got the gear wrong coming off the roundabout which gave me my edge and then he couldnt catch me.
It doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile winning is winning lol.

We have all missed gears which has lost us races but that is part of the game.

Gav and Kennys Diesel are running intercoolers so the power is there in every gear with 300lbs of torque pushing it down the road.

but it is all torque down low, which can be a problem.

look at the new civic type r - f**k all torque , everything up high, but how quick!!!!?? - bloody quick!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by galv on 27 January 2003

hrm thats why my 306 owners manual states GTi-6 torque at 132.7 ft-lb @ 4200 rpm!
Then its wrong!

Because according to the Peugeot technical data I have in front of me...

Power - 120KW (167bhp) @ 6500rpm
Torque - 193Nm (142lb/ft) @ 5500rpm

Looks like you have quoted for the XU10J4R engine, as fitted to model such as the XSi and NOT the XU10J4RS as fitted to the GTi-6.

Zafira and GSXR

But the diesel box is designed for it to be like that so it works well.

Like Gav said one of his other mates has got a 206HDI with 160bhp which done a quarter mile in 14sec now that aint bad you got to admit.

oh no, def in the future the way foward is gonna be diesel (god i hope not)

with more and more powerful engines coming out. but thats why i like the old school classic hot hatches like ive got and the 205 gti, 5 turbo etc...

b4 this i had a near enough new car, but it was sooo boring and uninspiring i sold it and went old school... now id keep this forever if i could..

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Vauxhall have a 1.3 deisel coming out soon that does 0-60 in 5 seconds and does 150mph!!!!!!!

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 27 January 2003

oh no, def in the future the way foward is gonna be diesel (god i hope not)

with more and more powerful engines coming out. but thats why i like the old school classic hot hatches like ive got and the 205 gti, 5 turbo etc...

b4 this i had a near enough new car, but it was sooo boring and uninspiring i sold it and went old school... now id keep this forever if i could..

did you just type that.

I always say to my mate if you want a fast car get a old one. Look at the Mk2 Astra GTE 16v they werent slow you got to admit that. Although the phase 1 172 is no sleeper I can vouch for that.

Zafira and GSXR

i beat a gte 16v! was a close one!!
I mean back in its day not many good ones about.

Still up for meeting in a couple of weeks. My mate in his 172 is going to come along

Zafira and GSXR

My mate in his 172 sent me your spec.

Ben Js Clio 16v - 1994 in Green
Devil Stainless Steel Exhaust System, Devil Decat Pipe, Pipercross Induction
Kit, Ecotek Valve, Hillpower Chip,

Williams Replica Alloys, Dimma Side Skirts and Mynheer Side Skirts.

done any more since this.

When you get a company like Lotus saying the way forward is diesel......then you might see the potential.

In the past, diesel has been slow, smelly and dirty. Nowadays, diesels are as clean as anything and a lot faster. Peugeot have already come with a 180bhp diesel that was as fast as the same petrol engined car. The new 207 will have a 180bhp all alloy diesel engine in it. The 150bhp Golf was within a few tenths of the Civic Type-R to 60 and to 100mph. And as Galv said earlier.....theres a 206 in Denmark with 160bhp that did 1/4 mile in 14secs. That quick by any standards.

wicked, i cant wait to get my digi cam!! im gonna use it for everything!! car vids, car pics, pointless videos, home p**n (oops did i say that out loud?) and everything!!

gotta get ben h to go, i wanna see his valver against a 172. craigy172 off ere might go too. ive told him bout it. he aint far from me.

damn it.. u know! - lol

yeah no willy wheels anymore. gone for ultra lite, super ls

induction kits gone, for bumper mounted direct cold air feed

dunno where u got dimma skirts from??

oh and that red colour hurts my eyes

Zafira and GSXR

damn it.. u know! - lol

yeah no willy wheels anymore. gone for ultra lite, super ls

induction kits gone, for bumper mounted direct cold air feed

dunno where u got dimma skirts from??

oh and that red colour hurts my eyes
Hehe got sent the spec at work today and been told that Hill Power chip is excellent on the 16v.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Diesel 306 lol. Never mind eh. 160BHP is possible i guess if you spend an absolute fortune. To be honest even if it did have that much power a valver with a few mods will be pushin out that pretty easy. A 306 is a pretty heavy car though. I think a valver with similar power would be quicker to be honest. whats a 16v weigh? bout 960kG or somethin?

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by myky16 on 27 January 2003

my mums got a hdi i have driven it and no way will it even come close to my valver!!!! ever!!
Yer but mine aint standard, standard they are crap.

I dont think the standard HDI has ever been in question. Its the ones that have been modified and in particular the ones with intercoolers etc. They have close to 160bhp. So in that state they will close and past a 16v.

what people are saying is.... your on about modded hdis and standard valvers. but if the valver has had the same money spent on it that u have spent on yours itd still win

and neil... whos ya mate?

The problem is though where power gains are concerned.......normally aspirated engines dont come anywhere near the same potential £ for £ than a turbo diesel. So you wouldnt get that much of an increase for the same money.

Zafira and GSXR

what people are saying is.... your on about modded hdis and standard valvers. but if the valver has had the same money spent on it that u have spent on yours itd still win

and neil... whos ya mate?
JustinH got a phase 1 172 (pick of boot install in Ice Gallery)

the thing about a valver is it can be taken up to 200bhp then turbo it.

but if you got that power out of a hdi i am impressed and thats what moddin is all about.

Most engines can be modded to a certain extent. Its like has been mentioned b4.......its how much you have to spend......and how reliable they r.

With the HDI....its quite simple and not that expensive to get the power gains. And still with the power hike....still able to get 60+mpg on a run.

My mate had a Ibiza Tdi on order with the 130 VW engine, cancelled it eventually due to seat delaying. He reckoned he to get up to scooby turbo speeds and still get 50mpg using chipping, i dont know how true but i know you can make these TDs bloody fast. Dont know how the rest of the components hold up tho.