ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

360 Component swap for VGA cable (Offical M$ only)

Full Fat 182
Cant be doing with buying the VGA then selling my component on ebay, so anyone want to do a straight swap??

Full Fat 182
Tell me where to get a VGA cable for £15 and i will!

Having said that, it seems pointless to keep it - it wont be used

Not sure if its any better, id imagine its personal preference however the advantage of upscaling DVDs and the fact my actual DVD player uses components meaning im having to swap them means, for me at least, its better

1.8 Civic EX
VGA is sooo much better....

I didn't think it would be but I was most impressed...think it was £20 for Currys

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Tell me where to get a VGA cable for £15 and i will!

Having said that, it seems pointless to keep it - it wont be used

Not sure if its any better, id imagine its personal preference however the advantage of upscaling DVDs and the fact my actual DVD player uses components meaning im having to swap them means, for me at least, its better

pc world...madcats av cable + free optical link for the surround
Vga is much better.
Ill think u need the component for old xbox games

Clio 172 Mk2
when i saw the comparison of component to vga i thought the colours of the vga looked a lot washier. Definately didnt have the vividness and brightness of the component cable. I know one good thing with the vga cable is you can set the resolution best matched to your screen as opposed to the console just stretching the image

Clio 172 Mk2
lol when you have the vga cable connected mate and you go into the visual settings bit on the 360 dashboard you can actually set the resolution which is an option that isnt available when you have the component connected up. Its just 720p, 1080i etc with this. sure someone with the cable will confirm

lol when you have the vga cable connected mate and you go into the visual settings bit on the 360 dashboard you can actually set the resolution which is an option that isnt available when you have the component connected up. Its just 720p, 1080i etc with this. sure someone with the cable will confirm

oooo I see, sorry I thought you were referring to beign able to select 720i etc, I didnt know there were secret settings, well obviously I wouldnt without a VGA cable ! :rasp:

Audi S3 225
on my sony 42" lcd tv the component cable doesnt work properly, i have to use vga but it looks s**t hot on 1080. I was reading that its a sony/microsoft beef thats why it dont work!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yep that is true, i use the vga cable on my plasma.. the quality is top notch.

You can select from about 5 different resolutions including widescreen ones and 4:3 ones.. up to about 1300 and something x something ..

E91 M Sport
I use the component cable with my projector because I heard the VGA does indeed look a little washed out and fake - can any projector owners confirm or deny? I'd quite like to go VGA because it upscales DVD's and allows true 1080p.

imho 360 via component looks like its been drawn my a child very garish
360 seems alot more realistic to me and id never use the component cable again

Monaro VXR
Saying one cable looks better than the other is a little iffy. It depends on your tv. I have more adjustment on mine via vga input than i do via component hence it looks better.

Some tv's have limited adjustment via vga input and more via component.

Also depends on how the tv is setup. You cant tell which is better until you try it seen plenty of sets that look very dark and blurry when using the vga cable.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i've been using a non-official one off ebay (because the MS one at the time was something stupid like £50), it is much improved over the component setup, I've just ordered the MS VGA one though as the one I have currently is playing up (surprise, surprise)

this is interestin, i always thought component was better than vga but tbh i dont know anything about vga, my 360 looks fantastic on my samsung 74BDX via component with game mode turned on at 720p, i wouldnt mind seeing vga tho to see the difference...

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ive just got a madcatz cable today...Just tried it and all it displays on the tv is

VGA Signal out of range

Any ideas guys as to what the problem could be?

Better than yours. C*nt.
The VGA Signal is out of range?

As for quality, I can't make a comparison on them. I know my Plasma screen is only a 1024x768 panel, so through VGA only allows that resolution and as such haven't tried.

My only gripe is I can't set the resolution of the 360 to the native resolution of my Dell 2007 :(

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
with the component I found (for example on PGR3) that the edges of the cars were very blocky (pixely), switched to the VGA and they are perfectly sharp. BIG difference. The VGA i also found to give a much brighter picture.

Ive just got a madcatz cable today...Just tried it and all it displays on the tv is

VGA Signal out of range

The resolution setting is too high.

What I did was configure it blind, start your 360 up.

1-Press right 4 times to get to the set up menu.
2-Press A 3 times
3-Press up say twice (gets to a lower resolution)
4-Press A
5-Press up once
6-Press A
7-Wait a few seconds

After this you should see the screen, now you have to find the max resolution you screen can cope with my trying each one!

I use component set to 1080i as VGA looks arse on my TV (Sharp X1DE).

Scott

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182

VGA Signal out of range

2-Press A 3 times
4-Press A
5-Press up once
6-Press A
7-Wait a few seconds

After this you should see the screen, now you have to find the max resolution you screen can cope with my trying each one!

Scott

Excellent thanks alot

VGA Signal out of range

2-Press A 3 times
4-Press A
5-Press up once
6-Press A
7-Wait a few seconds

Scott

gimme your vga cable then till i test mine!!! lol

yes if you select 1080 on component it will display fine tho as the tosh will accept 1080i inputs then rescale them to 1366x766 or something but via vga it does progressive only so your stuck with 768 max

mine is 1080p tho

will that effect the quality of HD dvd's too?

or will they still be signficantly better on 768 than standard dvds are?