ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

360 gets msn keyboard

Fabia vRS
Text%20input%20device-thumb.jpg

Microsoft tonight unveiled the details of this spring's Xbox 360 update, set to hit on May 7.

While the update has a plethora of new features, the biggest by far is that Microsoft is bringing instant messaging and a new snap-on controller keyboard to the console.

The new feature will allow Xbox 360 and PC users to text chat with on another using Windows Live Messenger.

"The big news we are integrating instant messaging to live," said John Rodman, Senior Product Manager for Xbox LIVE and Xbox 360. "You can instant messenger to the Xbox from anywhere in the messenger family."

Rodman said the new feature, free to Silver and Gold users, will allow users to have six instant message conversations going at once, each with multiple contacts. The message boxes will pop-up in an opaque box much like standard game messaging is already treated on the console.

Your current contacts from Live Messenger will also be added to your 360, which will let you know if your friends are on a PC or the console.

While the instant messaging will support the virtual keyboard and USB keyboards, Microsoft plans to release a cool-looking new keyboard attachment for the 360 in the future.

The QWERTY keyboard, expected to be officially announced this summer with a price and date, will fit neatly between the "horns" of the controller and allow you to play and type without having to switch devices.

When asked if this was a step toward the Live Anywhere feature first announced last year, Rodman said he couldn't talk directly about how that was coming.

"I can't speak to the progress of the overall program, but I can say this is one of the building blocks come to life," he said.

While instant messaging is certainly the biggest change coming with this next update, it's not the only one.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Looks good. But instead of developing a controller shouldn't they be trying to sort the issues with all the consoles which keep breaking?

1.2 16v clio
Looks good. But instead of developing a controller shouldn't they be trying to sort the issues with all the consoles which keep breaking?

thats a well too obvious thing to do. they are trying to think outside the box.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
lol, what annoys me the most, is that they do MSN messenger but still no f**king Internet access, I mean come on, my bloody PSP can do that!

White Sti Hatch
Its a cool lil plug in fir the controller but unless i need it i wont be buying one

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
oh come on, they haven't even released the elite package yet with re-jiged internals and you boys are moaning?

White Sti Hatch
oh come on, they haven't even released the elite package yet with re-jiged internals and you boys are moaning?

All thats new is the HDMI port and the 120Gb HDD and new finish nothing else has been changed

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
its a games console not a computer for surfing the net, dont ask for too much, thats when things go wrong

Golf GTD
i dont really want to surf the net on my television, a mouse and keyboard is required for decent internet surfing. this keyboard thing looks a bit gimmicky to be honest, but will be interesting to see how it feels in my hands.

Golf GTD
All thats new is the HDMI port and the 120Gb HDD and new finish nothing else has been changed

internals have been upgraded aswell.

not that i will be getting one as i dont feel it would suit me as an upgrade.

not strictly true. there were rumours that microsoft would be using a smaller nm chip, 65 as opposed to 90 i believe, but microsoft have announced that all the internals are the same and that no new chip is being manufactured at present.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
its a games console not a computer for surfing the net, dont ask for too much, thats when things go wrong

a simple internet browser is not asking much, especially from Microsoft. Its just typical MS horse sh*t why they won't do it.