ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3G iOS4 update, WTF?

Clio
Re: 3G ios 4 update, WTF?

FFS, Now my brothers 3G shows error 1604 when restoring, Hes using windows 7 on his lappy.

ideas?

Go to phones4u tomorrow, and both get yourself some £20 Nokias. They are idiot proof. :)

Clio

Go to phones4u tomorrow, and both get yourself some £20 Nokias. They are idiot proof. :)

I have plenty of spares at home, the Blackberry's have always been more reliable.

Im no idiot its the phone, ive spent all fvcking day trying to restore the mofo only getting errors pop up.

However my persistence has paid off ive just managed to restore it finally, but to the 4.0 firmware.

My confidence in iOS4 is zero, is it possible to choose 3.1.3 in itunes?

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy

FFS, Now my brothers 3G shows error 1604 when restoring, Hes using windows 7 on his lappy.

ideas?

I've had the same thing loads of times when trying to do updates (using 7 too) Basicly, your phone has gone into recovery mode?

The genius' I've spoke to a few times said it's because of the firewall, anti-virus and security measures interupting etc.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R

mines just gone slow as f**k too! Im talking press messages, 6 seconds later it appears.

Obviously, this is an 3G, so fairly old (over 12 months) HOWEVER, I had a replacement around 5 months ago from Genius Bar, Does this mean my actual phone is still in warrenty?

mines just gone slow as f**k too! Im talking press messages, 6 seconds later it appears.

Obviously, this is an 3G, so fairly old (over 12 months) HOWEVER, I had a replacement around 5 months ago from Genius Bar, Does this mean my actual phone is still in warrenty?

no it's not in warranty. and the 3G is quite slow anyway. it was designed to run ios2. it's since updated to 3 and now 4. it's not going to be quick.

I'm living it old school with a 3G, things are getting progressively slower week by week since updating to 4, the lag when just doing simple things such as opening Safari or typing text is pretty ridiculous. Only got about 8GB of data on it and have recently restored, I can't think of any other ways to improve efficiency so presumably it's definitely the processor struggling with the new OS.

Good way of getting people to upgrade anyhow, anyone know how much it costs to go from a 3G to 3GS (or 4) mid-contract with O2?!

My 3GS is running laggy and my iPod keeps crashing from os4. Shame because up to that point I've loved this phone.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1

Something not right there. My 3GS was running lovely on iOs4

It actually felt quicker than 3.1.3

Ph2 172

My 3GS runs generally ok, some slight lag on a couple of things, but nothing to get exited about, apart from...........

When you're in a call, say 10 mins in, it falls over. Back to black screen with apple logo in the centre. It's done it to me 3 times this week so car. I was out of the country last week, so not really using it much. So not ideal. Searching around the various forums, this seems to be a fairly common issue.

Megane 225 F1

For some reason (and i have done a lot of research on this) the only way to get your phone into DFU mode so that itunes detects it is to use a mac. Otherwise you just get the connect to itunes screen on windows.

However i ave yet to get Recboot to work so that i can take my phone out of recovery mode after putting 3.1.3 back on.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP

Ive been using a 3G past couple of days,

ANd im shocked at how slow it is. I really need to compare it to a friends.

Apps keep crashing, the battery life os truly cronic as well. It takes 5 or so seconds to even open the camera? This is running IOS 4 btw

Clio

You say that downgrading is easy but it's not that simple.

I have been trying for days. Ive tried 3.1.3, 3.1.2, 3.1, 3.0, 2.2.1, 2.2.0, 2.1., 2.0.2, 2.0.1, 2.0.0. Always comes up with an error code 1015, 2002 or 20.

Apparently you can get around this with recboot, but again still no joy. Even changing the compatability settings.

So now I still have to put up with this ios 4 firmware which keeps bricking my phone x times a day.

Clio

Stick it in DFU mode. Or use a Mac.

Its been in DFU mode every single time, its nothing to do with DFU. DFU is not the problem here.

Its been on two Mac's at the genius bar. The people at Apple said it's unfixable, buy a new one.

Im going in there tomorrow, screaming . See if that helps a little more, They might actually be a bit more useful.

Will they correct this problem by releasing a new update? as there are thousands or people having the same problems as I.

Fiesta ST3

i had my 3g running ios4 and tbh it didnt like it, random safari freezes and general slowdowns, was getting on my nerves

so ive gone back to 3.1.2 and now runs perfect, happy to stay at 3.1.2

Clio

i had my 3g running ios4 and tbh it didnt like it, random safari freezes and general slowdowns, was getting on my nerves

so ive gone back to 3.1.2 and now runs perfect, happy to stay at 3.1.2

how did you manage to get it downgraded to 3.1.2, mine is have none of that.

Is the general consensus to avoid moving to ios4 on a 3G? I've just sold mine and will obviously be resetting to factory prior to parting company but am I better off not upgrading to ios4 before handing it over. I don't want it bricking or causing problems and having the new owner on my back about it not working properly.

Iceberg Ph1

how did you manage to get it downgraded to 3.1.2, mine is have none of that.

Revels has explained this countless times.

The iPhone 3G uses what is known as the 'Old Bootrom' which means that it does not require any authorization from Apple to upgrade or downgrade a firmware on your phone..

Make it easier for you..

Click Here >> http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
Download iPhone 3G 3.1.3 (Make sure it is 3G 3.1.3)
Open iTunes (With your phone DISCONNECTED)

Turn off your iPhone
Hold down the Home Buttom and insert your USB cable, you will enter recovery mode.. (iTunes Symbol with USB Cable on the Screen)

on iTunes:
Mac = Command + Restore
Windows = Shift + Restore

Browse to your 3.1.3 firmware you downloaded from the above link and select it.

This is all you need to do..

If this does not work, then I have no idea what has happened tbh..

Hope this helps though!

Never above 25mpg

Is the general consensus to avoid moving to ios4 on a 3G? I've just sold mine and will obviously be resetting to factory prior to parting company but am I better off not upgrading to ios4 before handing it over. I don't want it bricking or causing problems and having the new owner on my back about it not working properly.

Mine has been fine on OS4. I noticed it was acting slower when I activated my email account with it so I deactivated it and everythings fine again.

Clio

I would ask whoever is buying it if they want it updated, I know I wouldn't but thats me.

The iPhone 3G uses what is known as the 'Old Bootrom' which means that it does not require any authorization from Apple to upgrade or downgrade a firmware on your phone..

Make it easier for you..

Turn off your iPhone
Hold down the Home Buttom and insert your USB cable, you will enter recovery mode.. (iTunes Symbol with USB Cable on the Screen)

on iTunes:
Mac = Command + Restore

Hope this helps though!

I know Rev's bangs on about this, I know how it should be done. It does not work for me, It should be simple I know but its not happening.

Thanks anyway.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

3G dudes on iOS4, try disabling spotlight search in settings.

You should see some improvements.

Megane 225 F1

Seen no improvement. Although there isn't actually a way of turning it off, you can just tell it not to search parts of the phone.

Megane R26

Make it easier for you..

Turn off your iPhone

on iTunes:
Mac = Command + Restore

Hope this helps though!

I've tried this a few times now and it keeps coming up with errors each time, guess i'm going to have to reinstall os4 :mad:

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Gone back to 3.1.3 on my 3G after gettin sick of the slowness of 4 and having no real feature benefits. Its rapid again now, no lagging, no sluggishness, actually like using my Iphone again lol

none :(

updated the soteware y'day on my 3g, its running a little slow but nothing major, just when i open my messages etc, and it wouldnt find 1 email but i can live with that, if i get any major problems ill just take it to apple to sort as its in warrenty