ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3G iPhone with a cracked rear

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
What are the options for getting it fixed these days? It now has a crack from the dock connector half way up the back.

Do the genius bar still repair these?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
No it's not in warranty anymore, it's about 3 years old now.

Does anyone know what they charge for a replacement and would it still be a 3G or a 3GS now?

It's not mine, it's my mothers

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Well I bit the bullet an completely disassembled it so I could rebuild it with the red case I ordered the other week like my mum asked for.

3 hours later and it's now a nice burgundy coloured 3G that won't boot past the apple logo lol

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
well looks like i have killed it, i can get into recovery mode and restore and i can get into dfu mode and restore but whatever i try i just wont boot past the apple logo. that will teach me to mess i suppose

Go cry to your momma!
They're a bugger to replace the back cover on aren't they.

The none OEM covers make life even more difficult, they're not the same depth as the proper Apple stuff.

The earpiece is one of the ribbon cables that you connect when you put the LCD assembly back on IIRC. The home button connection had me off, it's just a pressure connection when you place the assembly back in, with the depth being off, it was either home button connected or vibrating motor rubbing against the back of the LCD. Got it there in the end..

Next time, look out for somewhere selling the back assembly complete with all the switches, cables and a new battery already glued in..it makes life alot easier and it's only £5 or so more.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Yea this one is a red chinese thing, it's just an arse getting all the connections connected properly and the sim won't make a proper connection either.

I have not actually had the take the screen assembley to bits so that saved a lot of f**king about. I'll get there in the end

Go cry to your momma!
Nigel, they are yeah lol.

A Genuine chrome bezel is £10 or so..

This is what I was talking about, £35 but everything is there bar the board and LCD.

Christ knows how you've cocked the SIM connection up, sounds like the board's not sitting correctly? Make sure you put the little see-saw type thing back in for the SIM eject too.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Nigel, they are yeah lol.

A Genuine chrome bezel is £10 or so..

This is what I was talking about, £35 but everything is there bar the board and LCD.

Christ knows how you've cocked the SIM connection up, sounds like the board's not sitting correctly? Make sure you put the little see-saw type thing back in for the SIM eject too.

Figured out why it won't read he sim, when you push it it there is a small metal connection right at the bottom that when a sim is inserted in the holder breaks the contact. This new case is obviously slightly different and the sim tray won't break the contact, hence the no sim.

Anyway I have managed to break the small connection on the logic board that the earpiece and sensors connect too. Found a company that will put a new connection on the logic board for £40

Mum is well happy now though as she has been out and bought a 4 lol