ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3M Headlight correction + clean pics

ST TDCI
Well I have had the 172 for a month now - Ive fitted an alloy foot rest, KN panel filter, clear repeaters and my old JVC headunit, but today I tackled one of the things that was bugging me the most!

The headlights! they were crap.....really spoiled the front of the car.
photo2.jpg

So after looking at various options decided to have a go myself with the 3M headlight correction kit (£19 ebay!)

So masked them up.
P1000887.jpg

500 grit....
P1000891.jpg

800 grit....
P1000892.jpg

P3000 Trizact....
P1000893.jpg

Polished....
P1000894.jpg

Finished and car cleaned....
P1000903.jpg

P1000901.jpg

P1000905.jpg

Overall very pleased with the results - headlights look really good now.

Few tips:-

1 Double mask around the edges,
2 Cover up everything you can when doing it as s**t goes everywhere!
3 Take your time, dont push to hard! I probably spent more time sanding than you really need to but the results were definitely worth it.

Overall the best £19 ive spent in a long while and tbh it was a a simple process to obtain amazing results:cool:

ST TDCI
No not re-useable - just enough to do 2 headlights. I suppose what is left is enough to keep on top of keeping the headlights nice n shiny.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I did this to mine and it looked fantastic for a few months but then started fading again :( anyone had this?

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
I've just ordered the kit because mine are horrendous and have gone through yellow and are almost bloody orange. Ill post up some before and afters next week some time.

A good wax on the lights prevents a lot of the damage from coming back so in told.

Low and Slow 1.4 16v
This post came just in time, i was just searching for a way of cleaning mine. Thanks, ill definitely be buying this kit

Black Gold Trophy
They are laquered from the factory, the yellowing and the blistering is the lacquer perishing.
You can flat and polish the lacquer off, or flat all the old lacquer off and relacquer them

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I was going to pop in and get this. I've got a 2200rpm drill And the instructions say 1400-1600rpm. What did you guys use? Wonder if I can get away with it...

ST TDCI
Davo172 - just over 2hours for the pair , you probably could do it a bit quicker, i did spend probably a bit to much time on the first 2 stages.

Amos91 - I used a cordless drill rated @ 1500 rpm so just right but used both batteries up pretty quickley, I then switched to a corded drill rated at 3100 rpm but it does have variable speed control so I just turned it right down, it looked similar to the cordless so i went with that. I guess if you cant alter the speed of your drill then just dont push to hard and keep moving it - dont stop in one place! Good luck!

Clio 172
Just done this today! Amazing kit. Prob took around an hour both sides. I think I would polish for longer next time, was a bit too worried about marking the bumper and wing (and Burning the plastic)
I seem to have left a small margin around the outside on one of them but it's nothing compared to how they where.

Well worth doing for 20 quid

asyvyvub.jpg

clio 1.5 DCI 80
not according to the video from the manufacturer, unless they have added it to the kit after they made the video....

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
May well get one of these and have a bash at mine !

Think I will place my 172 xenons needed URGENT in the wanted section before I start :D