ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3rd gear in new 197 - story so far

I picked my 197 up in September and I've been completely satisfied with it. It's now up to about 3,600 miles after a few holidays, but I'm otherwise a low mileage driver.

Unfortunately, 3rd gear has been obstructive since day one and I was kind of hoping it would go away or that my technique was at fault! It's fine below 4,000rpm - but quite a pain after this. Finally, I bit the bullet and went to a Renault dealer yesterday to have it looked at.

The news isn't good: they drained the gearbox oil and found metal shards in it, plus a leak. They re-filled the oil and have given me back the car while they get approval from Renault - probably for a whole new gearbox due to the labour cost of a gearbox re-build.

Hopefully this will be sorted next week, meaning that I can drop the car off and collect a courtesy car. Because I didn't buy the car from the repairing dealer, they've asked for £50 for the duration that I have the courtesy car. I guess I'll need to contact Renault UK about this, because I bought my 197 from a car supermarket (I'm still a few grand up even if they refuse, but this is a fairly major thing to go wrong on a new car!).

I have read about one or two other people having a problem with 3rd gear, so I'd encourage you to get it checked out. I'll let you all know what happens next - looks like the dealer will need the car for 3+ days...

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
so i take it the car is second hand, youw ill probably find renualt won't say for sure on the gear box until they remove it and look at it.

Technically, I'm the second owner as I bought it via a car supermarket (pre-reg for one day!). But to all intents and purposes I am the first owner and it came on a '57 plate.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hmmmm i do struggle from time to time when above 5k, wonder if i should look into it more?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My old one used to crunch going into 3rd when driving flat out. Never bothered me though as it was a company car! lol

Renault will cover it, no bother.

I've had a call today from the dealer - the 'box is on order and everything is ok from a warranty perspective.

I said that Renault would pay for a courtesy car and if they had any query re. this that Renault customer services would cough up. I'm still quite happy at this stage as they gave my car a wash when I took it in (hardly needed it!) and I guess working on a 197 is a lot more interesting than working on a 1.2. ;)

Hopefully the 'box will arrive in the next week or so - I'll let you know how it goes.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Intersesting. I dont struggle with 3rd so much, its more 5th when giving it some proper stick, ie near 7k (!) But the more i drive it, the more i just think i'm not used to it. Having a 172 and a 182 for over three yrs, i've needed to adjust to the 197 lol. I may however drop the box oil over easter to see if there are any debris etc

Ive been having this EXACT same issue with mine since the day I got it!!! Whenever im giving it some in 2nd and try to change to 3rd it crunches and grates!!! I just thought thats the way it was and so have never queried it. Im getting on the phone to Renault Oldham first thing after reading this!!!!

would like to hear what is exactly / went wrong with the gear box...

this might turn out to be a common problem...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah. Not all of them, i had several when i worked there but only one of them suffered it.

Ben you took your car to S J Cooks didnt You?

I certainly did - I'm happy with the service so far.

It's pretty bad luck and (I guess) pretty rare, but it seems that a few others have had this problem.

If it helps at all, mine was probably built in March '07, although wasn't registered until September '07.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
As said, 3rd in mine is fine, its 5th if anything, but as previously mentioned it could be me tbh, not put that many miles on it yet. Mine was reistered Oct 06 (iirc) 06 plate. So that really is an early version.

Megane Team II F1 R26
I've never driven a 197, but if you feel something isn't right take it in, I've had my fair share of niggly issues and have all been sorted under warraty with a smile, even when car went in for service they noted the front discs had stress cracks in them (car had done 12k by now) Renault didn't even question and just replaced under warranty, could have easily said its wear and tear which i would have accepted (after what i put it through).

cock mobile.
I've never driven a 197, but if you feel something isn't right take it in, I've had my fair share of niggly issues and have all been sorted under warraty with a smile, even when car went in for service they noted the front discs had stress cracks in them (car had done 12k by now) Renault didn't even question and just replaced under warranty, could have easily said its wear and tear which i would have accepted (after what i put it through).

How the hell you got away with new discs I'll never know. You know where that stress came from ;)

Renault UK should fit the bill for the hire cost as well, doesn't matter where you bought it etc, it's still covered by a 3 year warranty.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
few boys on RS have also mentioned the gearbox and iirc renault are aware of it being an issue, so hopefully you should be ok.

Dont think the fact its from a supermarket is a big deal - warranty is warranty.

White 197
Ben you took your car to S J Cooks didnt You?

I certainly did - I'm happy with the service so far.

It's pretty bad luck and (I guess) pretty rare, but it seems that a few others have had this problem.

If it helps at all, mine was probably built in March '07, although wasn't registered until September '07.

I believe the Motorpoint cars were bought in Feb 07. They bought a batch of circa 15 cars. Ours has been bullet proof and is being upgraded to a new one this Saturday from a main dealer. I have heard on another forum of a Motorpoint car that had been an absolute nightmare.

Brisol my lover..
Oh no, noticed this on mine but thought it was just me, when you give it some going from 2nd to 3rd it king of grinds as if you have not pushed the cluch in enough.
Mine is a july 07 plate.

That's the symptom. When accelerating at anything above 4,000rpm and changing from 2nd, I'll either miss 3rd altogether or crunch it as it slots into 3rd. The same happens going down from 4th.

I thought it was just my technique and a short-throw gearbox. It took me a while to figure that actually it happens even with the clutch flat to the floor.

Brisol my lover..
Mine has started doing it from 3rd back into second, so today i took it into work......It needs a new box.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
No tech notes. John speak to me about your box. i was the one that downed it. ben your box has been fitted and it seems the ratios are longer. but im not very sure.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No tech notes. John speak to me about your box. i was the one that downed it. ben your box has been fitted and it seems the ratios are longer. but im not very sure.

Ah, only ask as it says on the top of the page that Renault are aware of it. Mine is fine, touches wood lol

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Yea thats what i thought when i read that may have to look at tech talk in work when i get 5 mins. i didnt know it was a known problem

Hi guys, my 197 went in today for 3rd gear inspection and they wont give me it back until Friday!!!! They are putting me a new gear box in!! Does that mean the ratios will be different?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
There must be something (Renault tech notes or something) Usually they'd just fob you off with 'your changing gear to quick' or 'its a quirk of the car' etc.......... Whats the exact symptoms? Proper grinding/crunching etc?

haha, you're not wrong!! When I first took it in they told me that with the 197 box you had to "double clutch"!!!! LMFAO!!!

So..... will my new box have different ratios?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thats what i'm getting at LOL! Who knows?! Imo it will, they aint going to build two boxes along each other...... Shorter ratio'd box doesnt bother me as i hardly do any motorway cruising. Its not that different anyway?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Had a look on actis and tech talk no known issues with the boxes but we have found out the old boxes now go over part numbers to the new ratio gearbox.

Brisol my lover..
My new box has been fitted, going to take it out tonight and see if it feels any different..

Renaultsport Clio 197
could you describe what u mean by "obstructive" third gear?

When I shift from 2nd to 3rd I feel a slight bump or click before the gear is changed but it doesn't slow the gear change nor does it make any weird sounds?
to explain better, the feel is like when you press the gas pedal to the floor - there'se the speed limiter override "button".Similar

But I'm used to it know and it surely doesnt feel or sound like therese metal shards in the oil :S