ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

400GB Extrenal HDD Bargain @ £110?

Anyone used Freecoms external drives before? I realise they don't actually manufacture the disk.

PC World are doing a cracking bargain HERE on the 400GB (so around 370) for £110. Seems too good a deal to miss out on?

Last edited:
  Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I have a 160gb sitting next to my laptop, cost £60. Utterly fantastic. Does exactly what it says on the tin, never let me down, and comes with all the cables you need to get started.

What the hell do you need 400gb for? :)

Volvo S60 T5 asap
at CCL we doing 400gb freecom external for £109.99 at the moment, is a cracking buy for the money too!

Question being, do you really need 400gb ?

We also got the 250gb version for £68.14 at the moment.

Freecom sell like hotcakes, mmmmmm hotcakes. yummm

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
definitely a good buy. hey roy where'd u get the hd gladitator? my mate has a copy of that on blu-ray but i couldn't find it on the web. finding it hard to get any proper HD content stuff really.

definitely a good buy. hey roy where'd u get the hd gladitator? my mate has a copy of that on blu-ray but i couldn't find it on the web. finding it hard to get any proper HD content stuff really.

I havent got it as it's illegal to download such material. But my grandads mate said he found it on usenet. Got a text from my grandma saying "Roy the galdiator hd roxz Lol!!111"

umm why does 'Clicky' LaCie Sell a 1024 GB ( 1 TB ) hard drive ? 1024 a bit of a random number if in HD terms 1000 Gb is (1tb)

I'm right your wrong ner ner ner ner ner.

Microsoft said:
Hard drives these days are rated in GB, which is simply like saying Km, there's 1000 meters in a Km, where meter is the base unit for lengths. For computers, bytes are the base of storage capacity. However, KB does not mean 1000 bytes, but rather 1024 bytes. Even hard drive manufacturers will get mixed up with that and rate a hard drive 40GB but it's really 40 billion bytes.

http://www.iceteks.com/articles.php/hdd/1 ;)

Last edited:
Not in HD market terms, as they denote 1000mb as a GB, not 1024, hence why all drivers are smaller than advertised :)

Have i just been 'Owned' Surely not :-(

pwned.jpg
;)

umm why does 'Clicky' LaCie Sell a 1024 GB ( 1 TB ) hard drive ? 1024 a bit of a random number if in HD terms 1000 Gb is (1tb)

I'm right your wrong ner ner ner ner ner.

Microsoft said:
Hard drives these days are rated in GB, which is simply like saying Km, there's 1000 meters in a Km, where meter is the base unit for lengths. For computers, bytes are the base of storage capacity. However, KB does not mean 1000 bytes, but rather 1024 bytes. Even hard drive manufacturers will get mixed up with that and rate a hard drive 40GB but it's really 40 billion bytes.

http://www.iceteks.com/articles.php/hdd/1 ;)

I don't need to click that link.

A true GB is 1024mb, HDD manufactures conveniently use 1000mb because it makes their drives look bigger. This is a fact. It never used to be a major problem, but now drives are getting bigger, the percentage loss is very large. In answer to the 1024GB 1TB drive question - that is a bit of an oddball, probably even a typo, as I'd imagine it's two 500GB drives in one box.

A true GB is 1024mb, HDD manufactures conveniently use 1000mb because it makes their drives look bigger. This is a fact. It never used to be a major problem, but now drives are getting bigger, the percentage loss is very large.

But Technically they can say what they want. 1000gb will never fit 1tb of data on it, Only 1024Gb will EVER fit 1tb of data on it. ;-) Only place 1000GB is messured as 1tb is on there labels/Manuals

A true GB is 1024mb, HDD manufactures conveniently use 1000mb because it makes their drives look bigger. This is a fact. It never used to be a major problem, but now drives are getting bigger, the percentage loss is very large.

But Technically they can say what they want. 1000gb will never fit 1tb of data on it, Only 1024Gb will EVER fit 1tb of data on it. ;-) Only place 1000GB is messured as 1tb is on there labels/Manuals

Can you hear an echo? I think the original comment wabout 1TB was used in the context of the drives advertised size - hardly any need to call MI6 ;)

Can you hear an echo? I think the original comment wabout 1TB was used in the context of the drives advertised size - hardly any need to call MI6 ;)

RSPCA on there way :) ;) So we will agree i'm right and you will be my girl friend for a week ;)

RSPCA on there way :) ;) So we will agree i'm right and you will be my girl friend for a week ;)

You can agree you're right if you like. I'll just remember the original point, which is that 99% of people refer to their HDD size as the advertised size, I've not argued that 1000mb is a GB, my first post on the subject clearly explains ;)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
ah right cool. still haven't got round to newgroups but i'll let my grandma know as i know she's after that gladiator ;]

Features:
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 bus-powered; plug & play
- Driver-free for Windows 2000/XP & Mac OS X
- Unique ultra-quiet, heat-dissipating design
- Versatile: stack, rack-mount or stand upright
- Capacity: 1TB (1000GB)
- Rotational Speed (rpm): 7200rpm
- “Smart fan” technology
- Interface Transfer Rate: up to 480Mbits/s (60MB/s)
- Max Sustained Transfer Rate: up to 34MB/s
- Dimension: 173 x 44 x 272 mm / 6.7x1.7x10.6 in
- Weight: 2500 g / 5.51 lbs
- Buffer: 8MB

Headshot!

Joking aside, it seems that drive definitely isn't a true 1TB drive, but then no drive I know of is advertised in 1024bytes.

Features:
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 bus-powered; plug & play
- Driver-free for Windows 2000/XP & Mac OS X
- Unique ultra-quiet, heat-dissipating design
- Versatile: stack, rack-mount or stand upright
- Capacity: 1TB (1000GB)
- Rotational Speed (rpm): 7200rpm
- “Smart fan” technology
- Interface Transfer Rate: up to 480Mbits/s (60MB/s)
- Max Sustained Transfer Rate: up to 34MB/s
- Dimension: 173 x 44 x 272 mm / 6.7x1.7x10.6 in
- Weight: 2500 g / 5.51 lbs
- Buffer: 8MB

Headshot!

Joking aside, it seems that drive definitely isn't a true 1TB drive, but then no drive I know of is advertised in 1024bytes.

LaCie make a 'Proper' 1Tb ( 1024 Gb ) As well :)

http://computers.newbie.org/computer_hard_drives/LaCie_1024_GB_Hard_Drive.htm

I don't believe that at all. I think it's misinformation and/or typo. Unless it's got some very unsual platter capacities.

A search of Google confirms very little info on a 1024GB 1TB drive, but about 40 pages of 1TB ;)