ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

45 profile on the front, 40 on the rear....problems?

Will having different profile tyres on the front to the rear cause any problems? My friend bought new alloys for his MCS but only two came with tyres and he wants to put semi slicks on the front but they only come in a 45 profile...would that cause issues which outweigh the advantages of sticky rubber ?

182, 6r GTi
Will having different profile tyres on the front to the rear cause any problems? My friend bought new alloys for his MCS but only two came with tyres and he wants to put semi slicks on the front but they only come in a 45 profile...would that cause issues which outweigh the advantages of sticky rubber ?

what size are the rims? and car?

That's actually one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. How about putting a proper set of matching tyres all round? No?

17's on a 250ish bhp sc mini cooper s. He doesn't want slicks all round because the two tyres on the rear are nearly new p zero neros and doesn't want to waste them! Will it completely mess up the balance of the car?

So he's going to put semi slicks on the front which will be slidey as s**t all winter, then come summer time when they actually begin to grip more than the rears they'll just throw the back end out all the time. Brilliant idea.

182cup & 172 racecar
Just tell him that you have been advised, it's not a very good idea.
If he ask's why,tell him to sit down and think about it for a minute or two.

182, 6r GTi
no idea why you would run 2 sets of different tires unless your a cheapskate but as the others have said its a very bad idea.

Obviously I said it can't be as good as running the same profile but I didn't have a clue if it was going to completely ruin the handling or just be slightly less than ideal so I thought I'd check on here to get a more comprehensive understanding, so thanks to those who answered with the aim to help me, not be a keyboard warrior.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
40 - 45 profile won't make much oddsw provided they are on the same axel, ie same fronts - same rears etc.

puting semi slicks and normal tryes on and using it on the road WILL completely ruin the handling and probably run a high risk of it breaking loose

E46 M3
Different diameter tyres front to rear will confuse the traction control/ESP.

A mate of mine ran 888's on the front and T1r's on the rear of a puma. Despite me telling me he'd put it in a hedge it was fine, even when pushing.

Whiteley ran slicks on the front with semi-slicks on the back of his mk1 hybrid, that was fine if not a bit lairy!

SQ5
I ran R888's on the front and Yokohama Parada Spec 2's on the rear a couple of winters ago. No problems

Golf GT & A4 Avant
tried on a 182 and Mk1 Ph2 megane, a 5% profile change (45-50 profile) made no difference 10% profile change did.

E36 M3. 182
But theys not semi slicks innit.

Haha, though to be fair, we havent heard the lads reasoning for wanting 'semi slick' tyres on his car.
I would assume, by the fact that hes considering such a mismatch of sizes and types of tyre, that hes just another clownshoe who wants to waste money on something he doesnt need because he heard in the pub (or on teh internetz) that hell be able to take corners (or roundabouts) at 3689553 mph with them on.......

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Using a mix of semi slicks and normal road tyres is a recipe for a disaster. I run Toyo R1-R's on mine during the summer and on trackdays and they're brilliant but they are on four wheels not just fronts. On any performance car the tyres need to be the same type all round. As for different profiles front and rear that will upset the balance of the car as one end will be slightly lower than the other. VW Beetle owners seem to like the California look but not recommended on anything else.