ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4k rattle fixed FOC anyone

Now thats got your attention! Ive just beeen quoted £183 to have the centre section replaced, now to all accounts this will fail again, so who has a shafted centre section and would like a new after market job that does not have the big drain pipe under the rear bumper and is not any noiser than before (insurance) but still improve performance.

Im going to ring round to see who can do what, Hayward and Scott to a nice system that looks like the the original but its £450+vat+del and fitting!! Just wondering who would be willing to spend about £350 on one.

Failing this I my look into getting this section made else where, may be if we could get 10 or so made it may cure this 4 k rattle for good and cost a far bit less than the Renault one

Views please

VW Potato

i quite like the 4k rattle - gives it a nice rasp on the overrun and when you heel and toe. Can you not live with it instead of fixing/replacing it?

g

i got mine done free in the second year as i had reported it during the first year but they said it wasnt happening lol now getting the supersprint one

Doesnt need a new centre section (Renault tw*ts.........) just needs the exhaust system realigned! Fixed mine anyhow!

Guys,

Search the forums. This is a well known issue with Mk1 & MK2 172s. If it is under warranty get it replaced. If not, then spending so much money on something that will give no power increase for a huge outlay is mad.

Sorry RSTDL, there is a huge problem with the 172 exhaust, (not saying all need a new CAT centre part) I have had MK1 & 2 and both have needed it. Since done both were perfect. Even my dealership accepts the fact.

Markc, nice try at a sale. NO ONE has shown any power increases from an exhaust. Even the knowledgable people about the 172 have said the exhaust is "DAMN GOOD" as standard.

I want a replacement to the Renault exhaust, but if Im gonna pay out 350 quid I want to see it and drool over it!!!! So no, I wouldnt buy one.

The 4k rattle makes people (on the pavement) jump when you rev past them......perfect for a bit of holiday maker scaring:devilish:

Ad

MK2 FRS

I find the 4k rattle really annoying, especially on the motorway, agree with VivJ (which I seem to be doing a lot of recently:)) that if you are to spend £350 on a system, you want more than curing the 4k rattle for it.

There maybe some people on here though that do no want a performence exhaust.

Admits,

Big time agree. As said if in warranty, do not alter, even if out of? then perhaps consider an aftermarket???, but at the cost for nought???

Sorry mate, Viv wants to drool, fine!! (great fliration M8)

Sorry, the fact the 172 (sorry yes:cup) is a steath machine, means NO stupid "I have a big bore!;)

Does nought and makes decent peps seem as sad as????

Firstly I have nothing to sell, but was just thinking of a way to cure the rattle, again i think very little is to gained in bhp from a aftermarket pipe but if you can get a lifetime warrenty and no big pipe out the back then good, all I was thinking of was some sort of group buy, as it seems a number of us have this problem and dont want a peco big bore 12 out the back of there car or another Renault one which may do the same thing.

RSTDL, at first i did move the heat sheild over to stop this noise, I will check again that its not a close heat sheild causing this as before it did go away, there is not much room to play with under there so a bit of movment could be to blame

VivJ, for £25 you can drool all over me

Been said and muted over too long. Why bother to make a "MUPPET" out of a perfectly good motor. Rattles will not be covered by any aftermarket anyway. Your life time warranties do not cover rattles. Dont spend your life in a garage chasing the impossible.

One would hope VivJ would spend £25 better. ;)

No not me:devilish: Dont want to Diss you (correct term???) guys. Just a simple opinion

Had the 4k rattle/buzz, centre section of exhaust replaced under warranty (car is 18 months old with 25,000 miles on it), rattle/buzz has now gone. They tried to fix it 3 times previously by messing around with the heatshield, replacing various bolts etc but it persisted until the new mid section was fitted.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

If you lot wait I am negotiation with an exhaust company who make custom exhausts..

I will post when I have the info and discount available.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Ahh now its sorted.

Thanks to DTWD for the contact details.

Look on the discount Section.

ASCAR (http://www.exhaustsuk.co.ukwww.exhaustsuk.co.uk) is the company name. I have put some details up but they are a little vague and I am just waiting for clarification on the custom exhaust and pre-made exhaust discounts.

Ivan

I dont have the 4k rattle (lucky one) but I have some terrible creaking comming from the mid section when the engines and the exhaust are hot (best heard in slow motion or standing still with engine running). Its driving me nuts! Renault says they cant do anything...

Quote: Originally posted by Sandro on 04 September 2003

I dont have the 4k rattle (lucky one) but I have some terrible creaking comming from the mid section when the engines and the exhaust are hot (best heard in slow motion or standing still with engine running). Its driving me nuts! Renault says they cant do anything...

Just a matter of time then

Not quite, yesterday I ordered a complete Group A exhaust system from Bastuck (stainless steel all the way). Will sound like hell on earth...