ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5.1 vs. HD 5.1 - One Week Later

Yes this is boring. Some of you may or (most likely) may not remember that I've often wondered just how much benefit HD surround offers over regular DVD based digital surround.

I've recently replaced my trusty Denon AVR2802 amp with a Yamaha RXV1065. Bi-amped.

Wow. It's not only more detailed but it's also steered far more naturally. Comparatively, my old amp sounded like it was moving sounds from speaker to speaker. It's just a far better amp period, as even stereo music is much MUCH better with a more tightly controlled bass and nicer more realistic vocals, and that's with the same sub and speakers as before.

In summary, yes it was worth the upgrade to HD.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
interesting, as I am due an upgrade in the Amp area and was looking at a new Denon this week in the HiFi shop.

was hoping to audition this DENON AVR-2310

Last edited:
  LY 182 FF CUPPED
currently I have an older Denon 1906....but it is struggling to thrill me nowadays, hence the jump to HD audio.....but was awaiting to see if it was all hype.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Good to hear, I was debating if I should get an HD amp or not as my budget is pretty low, think I will opt for the Sony STR-DH800 then.

Wish I could afford a 1065!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Very cool, tempted by getting at least the centre speaker for my Onkyo 2.1 system as that's got al the HD bumph on it. But tbh anything would have been an improvement over the tvs own speakers.

Megane R26
I've not heard it on a decent set up yet - sounds impressive though.

I used to really be into AV, had an AVR3802, AVCA1D and a Yamaha DSPA1 in my time. Best kit I had was the Tag AV32R with Rotel Power Amp, was amazing, but a bit OTT for a bedroom at the time :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
How can you rule out the change of amp being the improvement and not the fact the HD sound is making the difference. You say even stereo music is much better, that would have nothing to do with the HD codecs right?

So newer amp, things have moved on?

Yeah it's difficult to quantify as it's obviously a better amp anyway. However, the steerage and bass are like nothing I'd ever heard before on compressed 5.1 systems. I heard a few systems that were higher end than my original setup, and this has an edge.

Regardless, the upshot is that it was worth upgrading my amp despite the fact that there was nothing wrong with it. It's wrong to assume that newer automatically equals better in an apples for apples comparison. For example, I've no doubt that the old amp would out perform many newer all-in-one systems, HD or otherwise. AFAIK core amplifier technology hasn't moved on in leaps and bounds since 2002, but the surround formats have, as they're now uncompressed.

Mini JCW
I must admit I am tempted to jump on the HD audio bandwagon. I currently have an Arcam AVR 280 which I bought as not only was it good with movie soundtracks but also VERY competent for music, so unless I can find an amp sub £1000 that can match its musical prowess then I will stick with the Arcam for now, Denon have never really impressed me when it comes to music tbh.

Also I need a slightly softer, laid back amp when it comes to audio as the Quad speakers I run are extremely detailed and can verge on bright. Awesome speakers though.

Perhaps you could buy a decoder and run the pre-outs into your Arcam?

EDIT: Or buy a Blu-ray player with an on-board processor and run those pre-outs into the Arcam.

Done.

Last edited: