ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5.25-inch speakers better than 6.5-inch?

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
So this is an absolute noob question and I apologise in advance for how stupid I must sound but...

I've bought an old Mk3 facelift Polo as a commute car to keep the miles down on the 182. The car's front speakers were blown, and i was given a pair of these for free by a friend as a temporary fix: http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/sound-systems/vibe-slick-5-v5-co-axial-speakers

I'm eager to replace them with better speakers as they distort quite quickly and can't handle any bass. I've found these for a good price on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-T...682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item565c8b3a02 but the price has thrown me off - are they better or worse than the Vibes? From what I can take from the specs, they're better for bass and volume, right?

My budget is £25, does anyone know of a better option I should consider? The Polo fits 6.5-inch speakers (we had to fit an adapter to fit the 5.25s!).
Thanks

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I think I've figured it out - these'll have more bass but perhaps less top end. I hope so anyway...

Listerine & Poledo
Where all other variables are the same, a 17cm speaker WILL be better than a 13cm one. Just because the cone can move more air and lower frequencies.
EXCEPT!
Except your cheap, dual-cone jobs are going to be worse than the stock gear for highs. Paying the little extra for a co-axial (where the tweeter sits on top of the cone, not 2 cones glued together) would have been a better move. Something like.....
THESE

Frankly, if you want bass, get a little sub.....like THIS. Then your speakers can concentrate on the job of making music, while the sub can focus on making rumble. Of course, a bigger sub in the boot will be even rumblier, but it depends how much of a chav you want to look :)

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Fitted fine, and did improve volume and bass. But they're only good for OEM replacement in something like a well specced clio!

Best taking the advice above for a better setup [emoji106]