ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6.5 inch speakers in front doors

Renault Clio mk2
Hi everyone,

I know this has already been talked about on multiple occasions, however all the threads are quite old and just wondered if anyone had any new information or ideas.

I’m looking to upgrade my 5.25 inch speakers go 6 or 6.5 inch speakers in my front doors. I know a bunch of people have done this, however I’m still a bit lost.

I’ve seen people do it without cutting away any plastic which is definitely the route I’d like to go as would like to be able to change the car back to stock.

If anyone has any photos or tutorials that would be amazing.

Thanks in advance

Renault Clio mk2
Hi everyone,

I know this has already been talked about on multiple occasions, however all the threads are quite old and just wondered if anyone had any new information or ideas.

I’m looking to upgrade my 5.25 inch speakers go 6 or 6.5 inch speakers in my front doors. I know a bunch of people have done this, however I’m still a bit lost.

I’ve seen people do it without cutting away any plastic which is definitely the route I’d like to go as would like to be able to change the car back to stock.

If anyone has any photos or tutorials that would be amazing.

Thanks in advance
Just to clarify I have a mk2 Clio 2002 1.2 16v

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Best thing to do is just cut the plastics for the to fit.

Let’s be honest, you aren’t going to swap back to the standard speakers or if you sold the car, surely they would just stay in with the sale.

Renault Clio mk2
Best thing to do is just cut the plastics for the to fit.

Let’s be honest, you aren’t going to swap back to the standard speakers or if you sold the car, surely they would just stay in with the sale.
Yeah true mate. Just worried about hacking things around haha. Also would that affect the door waterproofing?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
You won’t need to cut much.

What do you mean waterproofing?

Second hand door cards are to the penny now as they have all been ripped out for track cars so would be an easy job just to have a second set of door cards to cut into

Renault Clio mk2
You won’t need to cut much.

What do you mean waterproofing?

Second hand door cards are to the penny now as they have all been ripped out for track cars so would be an easy job just to have a second set of door cards to cut into
Just heard that some of the plastic is there to keep water ingress out. Haven’t been in there myself yet so not 100% sure what I’m looking at anyway.

Cheers for that suggestion I’ll have a look at some second hand door cards like you say, could be an option.

Have you got 6.5s in yours?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Just heard that some of the plastic is there to keep water ingress out. Haven’t been in there myself yet so not 100% sure what I’m looking at anyway.

Cheers for that suggestion I’ll have a look at some second hand door cards like you say, could be an option.

No, I don’t have a clio on the road anymore, only for track so I don’t have speakers at all. Or door cards for that matter 😂

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member

I believe the water sealing on a mk2 door is all done by the butyl seal around the edge of the door card, so no I don't think it'll create any water ingress if you cut away some of the plastic by the speakers.