ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5 K Kick

Megane 225 F1
Hi Guys,

Anyone know why there is variation in how noticeable the 5 k kick in power feels between the 172's? I've had 3 clio 172 Cups now, and 1 clio 182. All the Cups seem sprightlier than the 182 full fat version did, but my 1st 172 Cup had a more noticeable 5 k kick.

I wonder if it's to do with the exhaust or part of the standard induction system, or maybe down to whether the inlets are matched or something?

Any ideas from experience? I must admit I quite like the boost in power at 5k, so would like to enhance it if possible,

Thanks!
Justin

It maybe mapped?

Many maps smooth it out so you have more power/torque earlier on rather than the "kick".

I've got the 98 Ron Performance Map on mine and it's slightly smoother, you still notice it a little bit though.

Megane 225 F1
It maybe mapped?

Many maps smooth it out so you have more power/torque earlier on rather than the "kick".

I've got the 98 Ron Performance Map on mine and it's slightly smoother, you still notice it a little bit though.

I did consider that actually, because it feels like a strong one. But it doesn't have the higher rev limit, that as I understand it, comes with all remaps? or the launch control that comes with the fastchip.

Cheers

phase 1 flamer 172
My first 172 (108,000 miles ) had a very noticeable kick, could really feel it, my latest (62,000) has absolutely no kick at all, the engine note changes but nothing happens.

Megane 225 F1
My first 172 (108,000 miles ) had a very noticeable kick, could really feel it, my latest (62,000) has absolutely no kick at all, the engine note changes but nothing happens.

Interesting to hear!

There must be a common reason for this though!? I'm going to plug mine into a fastchip tuner, see if it's running the original map rather than an aftermarket one, or even whether Renault updated the map at some stage when it was in for a service or anything.

I'm also going to check to see if the little air intake valve that opens and closes, at the end of the air feed is there, and working properly.

Does anyone know if there is a remote aftermarket remap available that does not increase the rev limit?

Thanks

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Where's Chip when you need him?

Think its something to do with volumetric efficiency and other stuff I don't understand etc

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I cant tell you a definitive list of what remaps does what to different parts of the maps as I dont take too much notice of what other people do with mapping these engines, but its certainly perfectly possible to flatten the delivery by richening the car up slightly under 5K (the "5k kick" would be better described as a "4.5k hole" really its caused by a lean fuel condition under 5K on the standard map) and not increase the limiter, but wether fastchip or anyone offer that I cant tell you, I just know its something that you can do when mapping one properly.

The biggest thing that makes these engines vary though IME is the cam timing, if thats moved it can greatly change their characteristics.

Megane 225 F1
I cant tell you a definitive list of what remaps does what to different parts of the maps as I dont take too much notice of what other people do with mapping these engines, but its certainly perfectly possible to flatten the delivery by richening the car up slightly under 5K (the "5k kick" would be better described as a "4.5k hole" really its caused by a lean fuel condition under 5K on the standard map) and not increase the limiter, but wether fastchip or anyone offer that I cant tell you, I just know its something that you can do when mapping one properly.

The biggest thing that makes these engines vary though IME is the cam timing, if thats moved it can greatly change their characteristics.

cheers Chip. I'll see what the reader says!

Mine really used 2 kick at 5k, since having the belt done and xhanging the ECU etc due to a UCH problem although it does seem to pull better now from 4k so god knows, my inlet cam was very slightly advanced before

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
That the ph1 ecu? I always noticed it kicked in quite early on the ph1 but the 182 has a very noticeable kick at 5k, surprising considering its had a map.

No mate a ECU i bought off Llewelyn last yr off another cup but when looking at it beside my original ECU it was a diffrent ECU

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh fair enough lol. Funny how they all seem to vary on where they kick and how much you feel it.

Need to get mine on Dans rollers.

I think the 5k 'kick' is more obvious in my 182 than my 172 , but that said my 182 does pull better obviously !
Think I'm going to get it mapped !
RS tuners are okay to sort the lack of fuel below aren't they? Smooths stuff out I've heard !

Inferno 225 cup
I'd consider a trip down to you if it wasn't so far but unfortunately I'm stoke way so a little trek !

You do map them don't you? And how much do you charge ?

Chip is moving down to Nottingham which is a little closer but unsure if he will be bringing his gear down tho.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry mate not a service I offer. I just don't have the time to do members of the publics cars as I'm too tied up doing work for a manufacturer. I have mapped a couple of people's as a favour when they are close friends but that's all. The standard Ecu is very cumbersome to map and I stick to only mapping aftermarket stuff normally other than those very specific exceptions.

rs tuning are very capable and far nearer to you (Leeds), that's who I would recommend for you, or mike from MWM for people further south (he is in Staines)

Sorry mate not a service I offer. I just don't have the time to do members of the publics cars as I'm too tied up doing work for a manufacturer. I have mapped a couple of people's as a favour when they are close friends but that's all. The standard Ecu is very cumbersome to map and I stick to only mapping aftermarket stuff normally other than those very specific exceptions.

rs tuning are very capable and far nearer to you (Leeds), that's who I would recommend for you, or mike from MWM for people further south (he is in Staines)

Thats fair enough mate ! Appreciate the advise ! Do RS tuning do live mapping then or on the rollers as such? Rather than a specific /generic map?

And would you recommend that over a generic map? Obviously a personalised map is better but would you say it's safer or worth the extra money for a personalised map?

Sorry about all the questions ! Really appreciate the advice !

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For a modest spec engine (filter/exhaust/decat) the generic rs tuner map is ok.

Rs tuning (similar name but totally different company) can tailor a map specifically to suit your car, the gains on a modest spec probably don't justify the gains though, the moment you have cams changed or rs2 or similar its very important to get a decent custom map.

For a modest spec engine (filter/exhaust/decat) the generic rs tuner map is ok.

Rs tuning (similar name but totally different company) can tailor a map specifically to suit your car, the gains on a modest spec probably don't justify the gains though, the moment you have cams changed or rs2 or similar its very important to get a decent custom map.

Fantasic ! Exactly what I needed !
Think ill go for a RS tuner then because I'm literally running a decat stainless ktec and v6 box! I've no plans to upgrade to cams etc as the cost won't benefit me die to daily use and no tracks ! Haha

thanks again mate really cleared up what I wanted to know !

2003 Clio 172
I've missed CS for reasons like this.

5k kick lmao, I have had stronger movements from my bowels.

flol! agreed.......

as has already been said, its more a sub 5k absence rather than a 5k kick. Rstuner simply remedies that "flaw" if you aks me.

all we need now is a "VTAK" comment and we will be just bucking dandy in this thread

;)

J