ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5 Turbo problem..... think its simple!

Right you go to the car it starts first time. Drive it and get it warm, it wont! Nighmare for petrol stations LOL

All ignition lights come on, so its obviousally not battery. As you turn it the final click to fire it up, it just makes a one click noise from the engine and thats it. Eventually it will start....

What could it be? Cant be doing with bumping it all the time as its not practical, ensp when on your own!

Cheers, Tim

also its not unheard of to have starting problems in general with a gtturbo, as paul says the anti perc fan is a possibility also the starter motor doesnt like it when its warmed up. people used to change the starters for volvo 440turbo ones as they start first time every time, my gtturbo used to take a a couple of seconds to fire into life but never failed to start once.

Thermastat? er........not sure what its called, think its the cold start valve thingy....parrrr fcuk knows! Why the hell am i posting!!?

Right cheers for your help! Ill have a look into this perc fan thingy...

How can I tell if its got one? How much to get one if not?

Cheers, Tim...

if it has one (all phase two gtturbos had them fitted as standard but some people took them off) then you will hear a quiet hum from the car when you pull up and the engine is warm normally runs for 15 to 45 mins after the engine is switched off depending on temperature, the fan is behind the drivers side headlamp and has a plastic duct which the fuelline runs through and the duct is directed to the top on the carb, hope this helps

check the starter exciter wire (main engine connector plug, thick white wire bottom right hand corner of the plug) normally goes green and builds a high resistance.

heats getting to the starter, heatsheilds more than likely missing. Get a heatsheild for it. Although the starter may have cooked once to often so it may be internally damaged.

Nothing to do with the anti-perc fan.

Solenoid feeds fine if it clicks.

i replaced my started with a volvo jobby and thay works and sounds si much better and more modern.

Let me just get this straight.. the engine ISNT turning over, its just making a click? If its that then yeah it will be your starter then. THink they volve ones are around 120 ish, but well worth replacing it with that item as the ren ones are renowned for braking down.

It wont be vaporisation, even if this occured, it would fill lines in a matter of seconds anyway, and would crank over.

Deffo motor.

Clio 172 cup

Its definately ya perc fan mate, i had the same problem with mine and a new fan solved the problem straight away!

its not turing over at all though, if it was a fuel starvation problem it would be cranking on the starter but not firing

the fuel lines and carb would still take a while to fill up again, i have no perc fan (removed) on mine and if i stall it when hot it some times takes a good while to get it going again.

Just need timrud to clarify the problem, but either way i think he has his answer lol

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

perc fans do fuk all - lots of people of rtoc take em out. mines not got one and its ok

Right Im sure the answer is in there somewhere, cheers everybody so far! The car is a Ph2 BTW.

OK to recap the problem....

After a bit of a drive (example yesterday Sheffield to Nottingham) and I turn the car off, and goto turn it pritty much straight back on, when I come to turn it back on I turn the key so all the ignition lights are on, then go to turn it the final turn and all I get is a click from the engine.

However should it be left off (example last night at the cruise it was stood for a good hour I imagine) it fired first time.

Then on the way back went to put some petrol in, turned off, filled up, went to start and nothing but the "click" again! So it was a push down the road to get us going again...

Im a mecanical numpty, but my gut feeling is maybe the starter motor?

Cheers guys! Tim

<SCRIPT language=javascript>

starter. Its only doing it when its hot, check if you have a heat sheild on, if not then there is your problem. Try putting a heat sheild on, if the starter is still playing up then get a volvo one.

This is two problems, which have already been pointed out, hot start problems (a renault favourite) and you also have a dodgy starter. However check the connections before instantly condeming starter, it might only be corroded terminals, but sods law says starter will be finished. I got lucky when my car was doing this, cleaned the connections and it has been fine since (6 months)!

Im inclined to think its not the connections, as its only ever happened on hot starts. However next time Im with the car (its away at the minute....) I will check the connections!

Cheers, Tim

Quote: Originally posted by Dust on 19 May 2003

Thermastat? er........not sure what its called, think its the cold start valve thingy....parrrr fcuk knows! Why the hell am i posting!!?
LMAO @ Dust!!!!!!!........say what you think.lol