ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

500 bhp astra gsi :/

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel
Chippipedia will be along shortly to explain exactly what's going on under the bonnet.

Apart from the back bumper/exhaust situation, I love that!

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He doesn't say it IS 500bhp, he says it COULD be. Like all the 200bhp Clios with only a remap that come up for sale. Mine could be a 250bhp Clio if you bolted a load of other bits to it after you bought it.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Needs a inlet manifold , injectors plus a clutch and apparently will do 500bhp.

There is an actual 500bhp one for sale some where I seen the other day, runs 290 on low boost and with boost turned up in the car runs a max of 490bhp. Engine was built by specky. Bet its a right weapon!

Can't wait for mine to be 300bhp let alone 490!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
Why it's Running X20 Cams which are just bog standard 2.0 Vectra and Omega cams is beyond me.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
It's quite odd tbh, I thought the way to go with these engine was to use Saab Turbo parts, same block and fitment apparently but internals are already forged, Common thing on MK3OC a guy sells a plug and play loom to do a straight engine swap with a 93 Turbo lump good enough for stupid power, another one is the RedTop / Cosworth designed head from the older models.
How things change, the heads on that engine are shite as well, the cams end up tapping their tits off after a while with blocked oil ways.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
500bhp from one of those engines isnt a big deal to achieve if built right, and it *sounds like* he has pretty much all the right bits there.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why it's Running X20 Cams which are just bog standard 2.0 Vectra and Omega cams is beyond me.

Not sure why that would be beyond you?

It is because in most turbo cars the cams are milder than in the N/A variant, so when you are chasing big power the N/A ones are a good option.

Some of my friends used to do it with MG turbo cam into MG Metro turbo, so I gave it a try many years ago in the C20LET (older vauxhall turbo) engine with XE cams and it worked well which I told a lot of other vauxhall owners about and its become quite common now, Ive built and/or mapped loads of them in 400-500bhp region doing it that way, so it was a logical choice to do on the Z20LET as well.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's quite odd tbh, I thought the way to go with these engine was to use Saab Turbo parts, same block and fitment apparently but internals are already forged

No the Saab lump is TOTALLY different to the Z20LET lump.
Its the late saab turbo engines that are based on the 2.2 chain driven ecotec engine you are possibly confused with.
They get 1400bhp+ out of these stateside.

Common thing on MK3OC a guy sells a plug and play loom to do a straight engine swap with a 93 Turbo lump good enough for stupid power
That will be nigel you are thinking of, who does the B204/B234 conversions a lot its a relatively easy conversion but not quite as trivial as you are making it sound still TBH.

another one is the RedTop / Cosworth designed head from the older models.
No real advantage TBH, the Z20LEH head works well anyway.

How things change, the heads on that engine are s**te as well, the cams end up tapping their tits off after a while with blocked oil ways.
Easily prevented with regular maintenance, and very cheap to get parts for.

They are pretty good engines in the grand scheme of things for something so readily available IMHO

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
No the Saab lump is TOTALLY different to the Z20LET lump.

Sorry Chip I was actually basing this on Conversions from the C20 and X20's ( MK3's ) rather than the Z20's that was my reasons beyond the whole thing which to be honest is a bit before the time of the Mk4 Astra as we know, guess I'm making stupid irrelevant points again, still ime the X20 parts are utter oil leaking tappy loud crap when compared to the Saab.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry Chip I was actually basing this on Conversions from the C20 and X20's ( MK3's ) rather than the Z20's that was my reasons beyond the whole thing which to be honest is a bit before the time of the Mk4 Astra as we know, guess I'm making stupid irrelevant points again, still ime the X20 parts are utter oil leaking tappy loud crap when compared to the Saab.

Its totally different to the C20 and X20 as well.

C20/X20/Z20 = all fundamentally the same platform, all be it in the X/Z are a newer design of head. (cambelt on all too)

B204/B234 = Saab specific, camchain driven, this was never in any astra etc, and do not share ANY common engine components with any of the vauxhalls, block is totally different size and shape but are a common swap as they fit the gearbox etc.

Then the later 2.2 Ecotec vauxhall lump (chain driven) is the same block/head design as the newer Saab turbo engine

So the ones you are on about, the B204/B234 which are cheap as chips and can make mega power are completely unique to saab only (volvo use same engine code but mere coincidence and engine isnt the same)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
Sorry yes, like I said. I don't mean specifically the same engine although I did say that, just mean as it's so easy to change it just seems the logical choice to me to use this engine, plus with the loom issue being an easy fix it's a no brainer.............. for me anyway best car I ever owned my MK3 Saab turbo'd lump, although MK3OC didn't think so when they slated the ebay add in the same way this section was created for.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I thought the way to go with these engine was to use Saab Turbo parts, same block

It was there you said it mate. Maybe what you typed wasnt what you meant though :)

You cant use any of the parts from the B204 on the C/X/Z vauxhall lumps, you have to swap the whole thing, and its not the same block.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol yeah, meant to say fits easily and no need for aftermarket internals.

Over 600bhp has been done on standard internals on the B204, very strong.

I view it as the Swedish YB basically. Same sort of strength and an almost identical bore/stroke and an even better rod ratio But at 10% of the cost!

both are horrifically heavy though! so not really suited to FWD IMHO